2014 Worlds - Short Dance | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Short Dance

sisinka

Medalist
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140328/739052980.html

Nikita once again says that he never did such mistake before (for the third, fourth time this season the couple says that any mistake was never done before and it was just a rarity to make a mistake).

Lena Ilinykh take it with ease:
“During single skaters practise – skaters also misses (make mistakes) on quads and triple jumps. Of course, twizzles – it is hard enought element for dancers, sometimes it works, sometimes not. But we don’t have a psychological problem in this element.“
“After Olympic Bronze, where we beat French and second Canadian couple, it was obvious that we are capable of fighting for Gold Medal with good skate. But it didn’t influence us, we know even without it that judges will give us high marks for good skate.“

I would add that even without good skate judges will give them high marks – it is very visible.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So happy for Alisa and Alper!! After last year's shock and the olympic disappointment, this will keep them motivated.

Sad for Bobrova/Soloviev and Russia. Hope their teams will manage to get 5 spots for next year.

5 spots is this a new rule. I actually think if Russia no. 3 can hold on to top ten it is still possible - tough but possible. and for all those Russian haters and B and S haters I really hope he is okay.

Big Deal

Final Flight
In the absence/retirement of Virtue/Moir and Davis/White it is so obvious that all the permanent "political" background about who gets the Bronze behind them didn't help to the quality of skating.

These politically supported couples are so painfully lacking the real quality......
I'm worried about our future entertainment in ice dance.

My only hope I can see 1 or 2 seasons to Weaver/Poje to improve and really shine, and than Sinitsina/Zhigansin and Gilles/Poirier.
They have the talent and strong will to become great. I also can see a lots of potential in Hurtado/Diaz and the Russian Junior World Silver medalists (name??).
All the other present one's seems like waiting for who is getting the strongest support from different Federations and the judges, but boring and uninteresting to me.

It is almost ridiculous that ANY of them can get any more PCS than 7s up to the middle 8s as a maximum!
Hey! The 9s belonged to Virtue/Moir and Davis/White just a couple of weeks ago!!!!!!

rosacotton

Final Flight
Felt so odd not having D/W and V/M here, but there was plenty of excitement and some great skates.

C/L -- my favorite performance.
W/P -- so glad to see them deliver in the short!
P/B -- hope they come back in the free.
C/B -- I just can't get on the bandwagon with them.
I/K -- so frustrating! :bang:

If the top 3 ends up being the podium I would be very pleased!!!

Dots

Final Flight
Things to take from the Short Dance:

-It's troubling to see a team make such a costly mistake and yet finish in the top five. Ridiculous.

-Time for USFSA to split the Shibutanis, love them to death but the judges have spoken.

-P/B did not come prepare for this championships. :eek: I was surprised to see them third actually.

-C/B, I actually had them third.

-C/L, The short dance its their event so it's nice to see them get rewarded on their event.

- I still say the gold is between P/B and W/P, as C/L are weaker FD skaters. My money is on W/P with P/B finishing 1 & 2. Cappellini/Lanotte should hold on to a medal and that should be our top 3.

The most important thing to take away from this: despite the naysayers North America looks strong to have another good quadrennial. Heck! They could possibly have another world champion as soon as tomorrow. :eek:

cebi26

On the Ice
NOOO I/K :bang:
Such a shame, as with the PCS they receive even with that mistake it's obvious that with a clean performance they would have easily won this thing.
Oh well, hope that they do better in FD, as well as P/B.

uncchristine99

Rinkside
Wow, what a tally after the short! I just pored over the scores and some interesting things jumped out:

C/B and I/K were the only top teams for get Level 4s on both compulsory steps! There was only one other team towards the very bottom of the rankings who got two Level 4s.
C/B had the highest TES of all (34.79). Whoa! I think it's safe the say the judges like them... they need to clean up that PCS stat so they have a better chance at the podium next year.
I/K had the highest PCS of all (36.45). If not for Nikita's mistake on the twizzles, they would have been 72+, counting only the base mark and then upwards from there for any extra GOE. Wow!!

I'm hoping gold either for P/B (sentimental but I also looove their free dance this year) or C/L (my favorites behind D/W and V/M for the last quad and IMO, always undermarked).

Big Deal

Final Flight
I hope that after what happened in this SD judges losing a little bit of their prejudice and ready to give points based on what they will see on the ice tomorrow.
Last time it happened was in 2006 post-Olympic World, where the winner was (Denkova/Staviyski) a pair who got 5th at the Olympics, and the silver went to Dubreuil/Lauzon, who withdraw at the Olympic after their terrible fall on the OD.
The "undeserved darlings" (Belbin/Agosto, who have been used to show how big is the distance between Navka/Kostomarov and all the deserving rest of the teams-which was a fake) hardly could get the Bronze there after the Olympic Silver.

Dear Judges!
Clear your mind and try to be honest once in every 4 years, please! (Fans need it especially after THIS LAST 4 years behind us......).

whatif

Medalist
What a terrible way to retire for Elena:(

I think that they still have a chance to medal? They have the highest SB in FD among the top 5 teams by 7-8 points and this panel seem to lean towards them by awarding the highest PCS despite that mistake. So basically according to judges, the best team today IS still I/K but they just did not get credit for one element.

If they nail it, they will most definitely at least repeat the Sochi score, which will be enough. But that's big IF they can avoid any mistakes.

elif

Medalist
C/B had the highest TES of all (34.79). Whoa! I think it's safe the say the judges like them... they need to clean up that PCS stat so they have a better chance at the podium next year.

Why do you think judges liked Chock/Bates?

GOE scores:
Capellini/Lanotte : 5.27
Weaver/Poje: 5.00
Pechalat/Bourzat: 4.35
Chock/Bates: 4.29
Ilinykh/Katsalapov: 4.72
Shibutanis: 4.50

tulosai

Record Breaker
But I&K Skating Skills, Transitions and Interpretation/Timing were slightly better than at the Olympics...so missing one element, interrupting acting during program, interrupting skating after that mistake and looking surprised caused that those components went up??? In term of "oustanding" - how are such points translated in judging system?

That I will agree with. TES and PCS should according to the rules be judged independently. We saw the most bark about this with Chan when falling should have zero weight on PCS (but we know in real life for fans and judges that the 2 inter mingle often when they should not as written which I don't necessarily agree with but that's COP).

I think the main issue to me in terms of the PCS I/K received ( and the one on which I am having a VERY hard time understanding the argument that they deserved what they got no matter how much it is repeated) is P/E. The execution and performance were very good- until the last 30 seconds when they bombed. I'd have given them pretty much a zero for P/E for the last 30 seconds and maybe a 9 for the first 2 minutes. Therefore, I think they deserved at best an 8 for P/E and I personally would have knocked it lower- into somewhere in the 7's. I don't think it's valid to say 'but the rest of the program was awesome so 9 for them!' There was a glaring mistake that dramatically impacted the preformance and execution in the end of the program. I don't see how this can be glossed over or ignored.

To me the mistake also impacted IN (certainly) and SS (slightly) but I take significantly less issue with the marks received on those components as I can see where they could be defensible (actually IN should be lower for sure as well, at a minimum the low to mid 8's- 8.5 tops IMO for the same reason as above- the IN was great then crashed, but it crashed maybe to a 4/5 not to a zero so I get it overall being quite high still).

In this case I don't see how the mistake can be judged wholly separately from the P/E in particularly as it MAJORLY screwed up the P/E.

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140328/739052980.html

Nikita once again says that he never did such mistake before (for the third, fourth time this season the couple says that any mistake was never done before and it was just a rarity to make a mistake).

Lena Ilinykh take it with ease:
“During single skaters practise – skaters also misses (make mistakes) on quads and triple jumps. Of course, twizzles – it is hard enought element for dancers, sometimes it works, sometimes not. But we don’t have a psychological problem in this element.“
“After Olympic Bronze, where we beat French and second Canadian couple, it was obvious that we are capable of fighting for Gold Medal with good skate. But it didn’t influence us, we know even without it that judges will give us high marks for good skate.“

I would add that even without good skate judges will give them high marks – it is very visible.

:thumbsup: They have messed up the twizzles over and over again. I have no idea what on earth they are smoking that they have never made such a mistake before.

sisinka

Medalist
:thumbsup: They have messed up the twizzles over and over again. I have no idea what on earth they are smoking that they have never made such a mistake before.

Probably Nikita thought that they never crashed into each other during twizzles.
But still the couple did sooo many major mistakes this season that I don't see a sense to repeat every time that: "It was just an exception." "Such things simply happen."
Every team did some minor mistakes and lost levels this season, B&S were almost shoot to death for falling at Cup of Russia and at Grand Prix Final. I&K are winners in number of major mistakes and falls during whole season (and they are falling every season at least once), but the couple stays cool about it and say: "It happens. But it is an exception for us." Quite phlegmatic way, I think.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Is it just me or anyone think that Putin overpaid ISU? :slink: Running away before being bashed.

kresslia

Medalist
I was a bit shocked at I/K's score. Actually, beyond shocked, I was kind of disgusted to be quite honest. No way in hell do they deserve to even be that high imo. That was a GLARING error. They could even still win if they score like they did at the Olympics. Ugh.

Great job by C/L and W/P! I personally think the SD is W/P's weakness and their FD is stronger, so they're in a very good position atm. Either way, I just wanted them to be on the podium. I'm betting on P/B though.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I was a bit shocked at I/K's score. Actually, beyond shocked, I was kind of disgusted to be quite honest. No way in hell do they deserve to even be that high imo. That was a GLARING error. They could even still win if they score like they did at the Olympics. Ugh.

Yes, there was an obvious critical error but the rest of the elements were pretty good.

whatif

Medalist
what are they saying?

also didn't the organizers literally put beds in at the rink so skaters wouldn't have to go back to their hotel rooms to rest

Apparently they are useless as not enough of them there. You need to take turns to get any rest there.

elif

Medalist
I dont know why anyone would be shocked at I&K's score. Did anyone think they would have a mistake which was still substantially less than a fall on a major element, and be put below the Shibutanis for instance. Get real. Good grief, they are 2 points below Chock & Bates, isnt that punishment enough for their mistake, lol! Their scores indicates even clean they would have been way below their Olympic score (and that is despite that their Olympic SD score atleast was reasonable). Their PCS was barely above the other top teams, and judges have already shown many times over they dont give a damn for mistakes impacting PCS for anyone, especialy a mistake that isnt even a fall.

And no they wont be getting a 110 for their FD or even that close to it, unless they do something unworldy, and even far better than the Games. This is not Sochi, russia anymore.

Get real. They got 7.29 for twizzles in olympic sd (0 here) so they had every chance to get same score in Japan.