2016-17 Russian Test skates | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Russian Test skates

treeloving

Medalist
Could someone force Sotskova to improve skating skills. She already has every basic quality that will make her a complete skater, yet her skating skills keep her from shining.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the clips and reviews!

Sotnikova: Music suits her well, but the program is very empty. It seems to me that her interpretation is based on lots of hand gestures and her feet are doing lots and lots of plain stroking only.

Lipnitskaya: Her performance looks rather mechanical to me, the same as in her sp.

Pogorilaya: WOW, I really love her interpretation of music!

Medvedeva: She sure is unbeatable...

Tuktamysheva: Is her posture so bad that she needs that white thing to hide it both in sp and lp???

Meoima

Match Penalty
Could someone force Sotskova to improve skating skills. She already has every basic quality that will make her a complete skater, yet her skating skills keep her from shining.
She needs time. She has just moved to CSKA. She didn't even have enough ice to practice when she was with her previous coach as the ice was always crowded.

Iris81

On the Ice
To Sugarpova,

That't the big guy I was talking about - can you recognize him from the back?

http://i053.radikal.ru/1609/e2/dd35787d36b3.jpg

In fact these test skates he was our "guarding angel". We were leaving Domodedovo airport in Moscow tonight (the plane was almost 4 hours late). And I saw "the big guy" standing alone on the roadside. It means, I guess, that test skates are over.
That is Yuri Nagorny, russian deputy sports minister ( temporarily suspended)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Isn't Anna a stunning beauty?

Yes! I think she has a stronger presence with dark outfits and more theatrical make-up. Blondes' facial features tend to not "pop" unless they are wearing a good amount of make-up. Figure skating is a performance sport and I wish more skaters were as thoughtful about their make-up as they are their costumes.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I only want to advise Evgenia to change her LP ASAP, not because the theme is untouchable, but the music itself is not at all suitable for skating, not to mention the fact that she is only a teenage girl who knows very little about the world politics. Why impose such skin-deep adult ideas on her? She is not some "peace messenger" but only an elite figure skater who should present something sweet & beautiful to the audience that belongs to her inner world, and more importantly, the choreography of this program is really poor as well as incomprehensible, almost the same layout as her FS last season, simply absurd beyond words! In conclusion, this choreographer should get fired!

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Evgenia's music didn't bother me (maybe the screams and sound effects made it gimmicky) but the program in itself is not at all impressive. She looks like she's just doing some movements while dramatic music is playing in the background. Her step sequence didn't have any connection to the music especially the part where the screams/voices/sfx started. Last year's LP had more depth and musicality. Also her choreo in general in this LP looks the same as last year's. That being said, her jumps look as sharp as in last season.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Maybe with a controversial program, Evgenia gives Anna a chance to be the top Russian lady.

I believe with her new outfit, better camera shot, Both Evgenia's programs will look much better. Last year, Evgenia's programs, especially the SP, looked very boring at the test skate.

Her performance at Nepela Trophy also looked slow and boring. But she was stunning at Skate America weeks later.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
not to mention the fact that she is only a teenage girl who knows very little about the world politics. Why impose such skin-deep adult ideas on her?
out of all the gals imo she's one of the most mentally grown up & its evident from her interviews. she may know much more than ppl can imagine. Being a teenage doesnt automatically mean she's shallow

having said that I do hope she removes the sirens & screams
It really isnt needed

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
After watching all the videos again, I can say that Anna is the best. Technically strong and artistically unmatched. She is so fierce! I hope she will be the Russian champion this time. Btw, I agree that she is a stunning beauty.

I expected Evgenia to try something new. Seriously, these programs are not what you expect from the world champion. This is just repeating herself again. Short program is very juniorish and long is almost the same as last years... Maybe she should work with a different choreographer.

Sotskova's programs are quite nice, jumps are stable but spins will be problem for her. If she can fix spin problems, she can be the third one in the Russian team depending on Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova's jumps. Overall I enjoy watching her skating, very smooth and elegant.

Julia seems to be in a better shape. Her skating was always charming and today she combines it with maturity. It would make me very happy to see her winning medals at the GP series again. And clearly she has a better shot at the Russian team this season.

Adelina is the same as last year. Very strong presence on the ice but jumps don't really look stable. Her chance of success will depend on the day. I'm afraid if this lucky day only happens to be at RN, she will grab the spot of somebody more consistent then.

Radionova looks much mature physically. Her skating is very nice but where have all the jumps gone is another story. I guess she needs time to adjust her new body.

I don't see any hope for Tuktamysheva this season. Liza is a very nice young lady but her skating career has had only two successful seasons in seniors. I'm glad that at least she won the world championships that year...

andromache

Record Breaker
Seriously though, with he talk all these years about how Anna should leave her coach because of her mean face, hasn't Tsareva worked wonders with her??

Eteri gets most of the attention as a Russian ladies coach, but what Tsareva and Anna have done together is phenomenal. Remember how awkward she was a few years ago? Terrible spins? Arms and legs everywhere?

And now she's a queen. She's never been anyone's favorite young wunderkind like Yulia, Liza, Elena, or Evgenia, but she's gone at her own pace and progressed so well that she's surpassed some of them. Fingers crossed she has a better season than last.