2016 Rio: Men's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Men's Artistic Gymnastics

yude

Record Breaker
Uchimura did his best at his current condition after very tense team event, I'm very proud of him!!

Congratulations to all the medalists!!

thoakun

Final Flight
I haven't got a clue how he managed to make up a full point with that routine compared to Vernaiaev. I'm not sure the audience there understands, either. But I'm happy for him. :)

It undeniable that when results are close, reputation helps. This is like Komova in London 2012. I wouldn't say that Oley or Vika was robbed, but I would have given gold to both of them.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
And the king is still the king!! :love:

And you have to be a king to be so far behind and then nail your last routine like that, that was amaaaaaaaazing. A real Olympic moment.

My favorite part was his face when he realized he had won :love:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
And the king is still the king!! :love:

And you have to be a king to be so far behind and then nail your last routine like that, that was amaaaaaaaazing. A real Olympic moment.

My favorite part was his face when he realized he had won :love:

Ill repeat the sceane later!

What a mentality!

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
YESSSSSS!!!!! PERFECTION! Thank god the judges did the right think and scored fairly in the end after over-scoring Whitlock and Oleg an at least two apparatuses. Amazing Kohei was able to change his routine at the last minute.

Bittersweet for Ryohei. Unfortunately the door was all but closed for him after the third rotation (and judges were not going to go for two countrymen on the same podium). :cry:

Now go, go Shirai Twist Prince!

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
YESSSSSS!!!!! PERFECTION! Thank god the judges did the right think and scored fairly in the end after over-scoring Whitlock and Oleg an at least two apparatuses. Amazing Kohei was able to change his routine at the last minute.
Bittersweet for Ryohei. Unfortunately the door was all but closed for him after the third rotation (and judges were not going to go for two countrymen on the same podium). Now go, go Shirai Twist Prince!
He did change his routine? Really? So he made it more valuable and did it perfect that's why he closed the 0.9 gap?
I think Ryohei was nervous, lots of small mistakes here and there.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Just wondering for those of you who live in Japan: who is the bigger star, Kohei or Yuzuru? Are they equally well-known/respected? Is gymnastics as popular as figure skating in Japan?

hamaguri

Record Breaker
He did change his routine? Really? So he made it more valuable and did it perfect that's why he closed the 0.9 gap?
I think Ryohei was nervous, lots of small mistakes here and there.

At the interview he says he felt he was inferior to other guys in 1st group.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
At the interview he says he felt he was inferior to other guys in 1st group.
But of course he did. But he did well at the beginning, only later he got very nervous and I felt that. He had sadness in his eyes. I just hope he did not get any injury because he has another competition ahead.

yude

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/hibermaster/status/763492302908076033

From Koji Uematsu twitter, his tweets were very interesting to read since team event;

Otukaresama, Vernaiaev-senshu!
I think some people wondered why? at his score, but it was possible. Because when he went for the giant swing after the feats, there was big elbow bent, and his routine had many twists so the deduction (0.3) was(were?) raised largely at the angle of the arms when he grabbed the bar.

I honestly thought the score of Tanaka and Kato in team event were also low, was that the same case :think:

yude

Record Breaker
This is the first time I saw Uchimura's wife on TV, she is very beautiful!!

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
But of course he did. But he did well at the beginning, only later he got very nervous and I felt that. He had sadness in his eyes. I just hope he did not get any injury because he has another competition ahead.

It's also that Ryohei for what ever reason, does his ABSOLUTE best in the team events in international competition. That's where he shines.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Just wondering for those of you who live in Japan: who is the bigger star, Kohei or Yuzuru? Are they equally well-known/respected? Is gymnastics as popular as figure skating in Japan?

I hope now the two sports will be on equal footing. Uchimura is a sports star but not a 'media star' he is a quiet guy who likes his privacy and I was really shocked that he allowed his family to be videoed for TV as he had kept them away from any sort of TV appearance till now. He wants to make Gymnastics really popular again for Japan so I think he is learning to be more media friendly and giving more interviews etc.
But up till now he didn't do a lot of promotional things.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I hope now the two sports will be on equal footing. Uchimura is a sports star but not a 'media star' he is a quiet guy who likes his privacy and I was really shocked that he allowed his family to be videoed for TV as he had kept them away from any sort of TV appearance till now. He wants to make Gymnastics really popular again for Japan so I think he is learning to be more media friendly and giving more interviews etc.
But up till now he didn't do a lot of promotional things.

My friend asked her cousins about Yuzu and they told her he's "popular just because of his looks." :palmf: :laugh: