2016 Rio: Track and Field | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Track and Field

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
And an early shout-out to my homeboy Joe Kovacs, born and raised ten miles from here. I don't know a thing about shot put, but we're rooting for you.:hap10:

I'm sure Joe Kovacs is of Hungarian ancestry . His surname means "Smith" in Hungarian language.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm sure Joe Kovacs is of Hungarian ancestry . His surname means "Smith" in Hungarian language.

I knew it! I mean that his name sounds Hungarian, but since I'm not Hungarian myslef, I wasn't 100% sure :)

I will keep my fingers crossed for all three of our shot putters to qualify to Final today :hap10:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Joe Kovacs is THE favourite :biggrin:
(now el henry touches every iron thing... oh sorry... you're not Italian :laugh: )

Maybe he is THE favourite, but in this Olympics THE favourites don't always wins :p

alebi

Medalist
I knew it! I mean that his name sounds Hungarian, but since I'm not Hungarian myslef, I wasn't 100% sure :)

I will keep my fingers crossed for all three of our shot putters to qualify to Final today :hap10:

GO GO GO Kovacs, Storl, Buko, Majewski, Walsh (and Gill) :cheer:

alebi

Medalist
MORNING SESSION

M 110 Metres Hurdles Decathlon
M Shot Put Qualification
W High Jump Qualification :)hap10:)
M Discus Throw Decathlon
W 4x100 Metres Relay Heats
M 4x100 Metres Relay Heats
M 400 Metres Hurdles Final
M Pole Vault Decathlon

AFTERNOON SESSION

M Javelin Throw Decathlon
M Shot Put Final
M 1500 Metres Semi-Final
W Javelin Throw Final
W 800 Metres Semi-Final
M 1500 Metres Decathlon Final
W 400 Metres Hurdles Final
M 200 Metres Final

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
awww... yes... but I see you're taking it well :shame:

Only because our Handabll team has won QF at night after having terrible Group Stage. And semi finals are the best result since Montreal 40 years ago, when we managed to win bronze. So I cheered up a little :) Hope today Quali will go well for us!

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
And Michał haratyk is out :( Good thing Buko has BIG Q. And Majewski is close, so should be in final too.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was wondering if it will be needed to jum 1.94 in Women HJ, but yes, it is. Lićwinko fortunately qualified. Alessia Trost form Italy too :) So does without any problems one of the favourites Beitia Ruth!

EDIT: There are 17 Ladies who Qualified for final! All of them jumped the minimum. That's a lot!

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The baton in second change of Americans in relay has fallen on the ground and USA is out of final! :eeking: I think it's not the first when there are some problem in US relays. Maybe there are not enough trainings or something? :confused:

EDIT: There are some controversies regarding it. We'll see.

I like how Chinese had obviously trained changes. They are doing it very smoothly.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my :drama:

Are there two intersex athletes in the Womens 800 and are they pretty much guaranteed gold and silver because they crushed the other women.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Homie Joe Kovacs, proud grad of Bethlehem Catholic HS, takes silver in the shot put:hap10:

and his teammate takes gold. Joe wanted gold, but silver is hardly chump change :agree:

Woot!:yahoo:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

In this particular part of Pennsylvania, we have many many many folks of Eastern European descent, and many are Hungarian. Our mayor is a Doncesz, which I also think is Hungarian. So go Hungary too!:hap85:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Buko failed all his attempts? :shame: And THE Big favourite didn't win after all. Yet in another event. Maria Andrejczyk lost bronze by 2 cm :cry: An she didin't even get close ot the result from Quali, which would have give her a Gold. I guess no more medal chances for Poland in Athletics...

alebi

Medalist
I was wondering if it will be needed to jum 1.94 in Women HJ, but yes, it is. Lićwinko fortunately qualified. Alessia Trost form Italy too :) So does without any problems one of the favourites Beitia Ruth!

EDIT: There are 17 Ladies who Qualified for final! All of them jumped the minimum. That's a lot!

yes! HJ qualification was insane! And both Italian girls are in!! :hap93:
They're already near their best and the reason there are so many finalists don't leave too many open door to a medal (I think a medal will be possible with clear attempts more than very high measures) . But they fought for this final (especially Rossit, she had to try her very last attempt among the relayers, who were warming up on the track) and it's always a pleasure when you see it happening.

alebi

Medalist
The baton in second change of Americans in relay has fallen on the ground and USA is out of final! :eeking: I think it's not the first when there are some problem in US relays. Maybe there are not enough trainings or something? :confused:

EDIT: There are some controversies regarding it. We'll see.

I like how Chinese had obviously trained changes. They are doing it very smoothly.

Usually USA is a mess in changing but this case was a clear damage caused by the Brazilian girl. I think this time it's fair that USA had the possibility to run again (all alone) and then qualify for the final.
Don't remember China, but the Japanese were amazing in changing. That's the right strategy if you don't have super star sprinters and want to get to the final anyway.

In men only GB from Europe will run the final, in women we have GB, Germany (a young relay that I really like) and the usual Ukraine... Netherlands is out and that was because of..... Daphne Schippers! :eek: She's still shaken by her 200m final....

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
yes! HJ qualification was insane! And both Italian girls are in!! :hap93:
They're already near their best and the reason there are so many finalists don't leave too many open door to a medal (I think a medal will be possible with clear attempts more than very high measures) .

I think you may be right. But the ladies probably know, that to win, they need to jump 2.00 m or higher anyway. With so many of them, there's no way the competition will be over before that height. Unless the weather will be terrible.