2018 Golden Spin of Zagreb Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Golden Spin of Zagreb Free Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
So I am sure I've looked at almost every protocol of Piper and Paul since at least 2014, and I don't think I can recall them getting level 4 for all step sequences in a program (or usually even for one of them). Either they can really perform them when not under pressure or the judges here decided it's not that important. I am hoping it's the former!

I am obv based (as You probably know), but having a comparison material seeing FD live in Grenoble, then on YT AND today's performance I really saw much more relaxed movement, bigger coverage on these step sequences - edges may not have been like the most defined ones at places, but knee bending, turns, partnerings were there and were solid without focusing too much on them. For me personally it was their best performance of that FD: the most intimate and with strongest emphasis on the music and story told, I just loved how much into the moment they were, pure and undisguised affection was so palpable watching them today. I hoped for such strong statement made going into Nationals and I got it:)

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I am obv based (as You probably know), but having a comparison material seeing FD live in Grenoble, then on YT AND today's performance I really saw much more relaxed movement, bigger coverage on these step sequences - edges may not have been like the most defined ones at places, but knee bending, turns, partnerings were there and were solid without focusing too much on them. For me personally it was their best performance of that FD: the most intimate and with strongest emphasis on the music and story told, I just loved how much into the moment they were, pure and undisguised affection was so palpable watching them today. I hoped for such strong statement made going into Nationals and I got it:)

Yes, they were really stiff and worried in Grenoble. They performed better at Nebelhorn and Skate Canada than there.
Here, I don't know. It was relaxed for sure but there wasn't a rousing feeling. Maybe because they were performing for half a stadium and there were zero stakes :D

Judging from the GPF results, it will come down to levels between all these teams, sooo....

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Yes, they were really stiff and worried in Grenoble. They performed better at Nebelhorn and Skate Canada than there.
Here, I don't know. It was relaxed for sure but there wasn't a rousing feeling. Maybe because they were performing for half a stadium and there were zero stakes :D

Judging from the GPF results, it will come down to levels between all these teams, sooo....

It may be as you said :), but I do think that the situation of them being more focused in Zagreb on improving their own stuff than competing it with other top teams added to the fact it looked, felt better, more engaged into transmitting purity of emotion while doing it the best technical way possible. They now have to transfer this mindset going into the second part of the season - I know, it is easy to say that, but they proved already that they work the best out of what they have being focused and confident over themselves and what they have to offer, not necessarily about competition around. It has been a rough and difficult year for them, especially considering Piper's mom passing away after Olympics, but I trust them to finding bewbirn energy in skating like they did in Zagreb: with such strong emotion directed towards each other and people they skate for.

^ :2thumbs: I with you NNF. They looked relaxed and focused, yet still mesmerizing in their interpretation. I'm sure it's not easy projecting to the hilt while skating to a smaller audience, either.

Have faith, Lester. ;)

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States

Well it sure roused me! :) It could well be my happy bias though, because I’m so totally in love with this program that I want to soak in each and every moment and emotion every time they perform it. :luv17: Attempting to assess it objectively however (which admittedly isn’t easy for me ;)), I agree w NNF that this appears to be their best overall performance of it.

Edited: Sorry, saw that I messed up in posting! Fixed now :)