2018 Olympic and World Championship Spots | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic and World Championship Spots

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I think I got the dead links changed. If anything is still not working right, let me know.

Also, many thanks for dorispulaski for being super awesome as always and moving the pretty qualification chart to the second post in the thread for easier viewing. It should be properly updated now with the release of the French 2nd pairs spot and the Danish Ice Dance spot.

As Nebelhorn disciplines finish tomorrow, I will try to update it again as soon as I can! Let me know (kindly, please, lol) if you see any errors since the formatting of everything can make it hard for me to notice until after I hit enter!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Pairs spots are now completed! Congratulations to Australia, Austria, North Korea, Israel, and Czech Republic!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Men's spots are now completed! Congratulations to Belgium, Sweden, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, and Ukraine!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Pairs spots are now completed! Congratulations to Australia, Austria, North Korea, Israel, and Czech Republic!

OMG, my wish came true!!!!!! I haven't been able to see the event yet, so just am checking on the final result in pairs. I wished for all the aforementioned teams to make it to the Olympics except Israeli (what a surprise! I didn't see you guys at Worlds 2017 I guess?)

I'm so excited for their achievement. Congratulations! :yahoo:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Has Katia Alexdarovskaya got Aussie citizenship? It would be kind of sad, if Katia & Harley wouldn't use it themselves....

Anyway, happy for all teams who got spot :) I really like the variety that we're going to see during Olympics :hap10:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Ice Dance spots are now updated! Congratulations to Great Britain, Japan, Germany, South Korea, Czech Republic, and Slovakia.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Has Katia Alexdarovskaya got Aussie citizenship? It would be kind of sad, if Katia & Harley wouldn't use it themselves....

Anyway, happy for all teams who got spot :) I really like the variety that we're going to see during Olympics :hap10:

Katia doesn't have citizenship yet, but it's in the works and highly likely, according to all the Aussies that post here.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Ladies' spots are now completed! Congratulations to Australia, Sweden, Switzerland, Brazil, Finland, and Ukraine!

All disciplines' spots are now settled, barring countries deciding to give up spots due to internal requirements/citizenship issues/last minute injuries. Per the Qualification Procedures document, countries have to confirm intent to use their quota places by October 30th. Actual named entry deadline is 06:00 Korean time (GMT +9) on January 29th, 2018.

Qualified Team Event teams will know their status by the end of the JGPF/GPF on December 10th and must confirm use of the spot by 24 hours later.

Any further reallocations of any spots (assuming Team and individual disciplines) will be done from December 13th to December 21st, and countries have 24 hours from time of notification to confirm.

pearly

Record Breaker
Now I understand why it makes more sense for the Australian pair to compete at JGP. Thanks.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My eyebrows were raised by something in ISU Communication No. 2119 -- re OWG 2018 Entries/Participation Single & Pair Skating and Ice Dance -- which was published today (Oct 2).

It includes an official listing of countries that qualified at 2017 Worlds and at Nebelhorn for OWG entries. Also a listing of stand-by entries.

This sentence is in the fourth paragraph on page 1 (emphasis added):
Furthermore, according to the Bye-Law to Rule 41, paragraph 2 of the Olympic Charter, at least 3 years must have passed since the entered competitor last represented his former NOC/ISU Member.

So .... I wonder whether, for example, Alexia Paganini will be allowed to represent Switzerland at 2018 OWG?
She competed for the U.S. at a 2016 JGP.

(I am not picking on Alexia. She just was the first case that came to mind.)

ETA:

ISU Communication 2119 also has results of the judges' draw for 2018 OWG.

The results of the judges' draw are one of the subjects discussed in today's IN article re Nebelhorn:

Andrea82

Medalist
Those who fall within the "3 years" rule can go if they get an approval by IOC executive board (and aren't blocked by former NOC).

The full point by Olympic Charter is :

2. A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental
or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant
IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate
in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years
have passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may
be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs and IF concerned, by
the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.

In recent months IOC board approved the change of citizenships of various athletes from other sports. So it seems they are not being particularly stringent. I think next meeting of IOC executive board is scheduled for early December.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This three year rule has been discussed in various places in the context of Olivia Smart and Kirill Khaliavin, who both competed for their last countries just under three years from the time of the games.

Olivia competed at Worlds in late March 2015 for Great Britain and so did Kirill for Russia.

I don't think Alexia will have a problem, because I don't think a Junior Grand Prix event will qualify as:

continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant IF

Ender

Match Penalty
They should have let team competition happen last. But in all sports, team events are before individual events right? As far as I remember.

icellist

On the Ice
I'm curious to know if Kazakhstan intends to use their second ladies spot. Aiza is the other ladies skater who has the technical minimums, but I think she just withdrew from a CS.

If Kaz fed gave up their second spot, it would go to ARM's Galustyan.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

If Katia and Harley can't fill it we may have to hand it back...Paris and Matthew are just two tenths (!!!!!!) of a point short of the TES minimums required.

Katia doesn't have citizenship yet, but it's in the works and highly likely, according to all the Aussies that post here.

:agree:

Now I understand why it makes more sense for the Australian pair to compete at JGP. Thanks.

Now do you also understand why I was so furious that Katia and Harley didn't get the Senior GP that they should have got?

pearly

Record Breaker
I missed that post, but I don't spend that much time here :)

But I thought that - since someone wrote JGPs count towards OG team points - they had a better chance of scoring higher at JGP than at GP?

tennisguy

Rinkside
I missed that post, but I don't spend that much time here :)

But I thought that - since someone wrote JGPs count towards OG team points - they had a better chance of scoring higher at JGP than at GP?

They do, but there are more points available on the Senior Grand Prix - 250 points for winning a Junior Grand Prix whereas a fifth place finish on the Senior Grand Prix gets a country 262 points.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They do, but there are more points available on the Senior Grand Prix - 250 points for winning a Junior Grand Prix whereas a fifth place finish on the Senior Grand Prix gets a country 262 points.

But I think A/W are much more likely to get 1st at the best of their two JGPs than they would have been to get 5th or better at a single senior GP.

At a senior GP they could even be shut out of the points (below 8th), whereas they were almost guaranteed points from the JGP even before it started. And indeed they will get at least the 182 points they earned at their first JGP.

Edited to add:
It appears that there are only 8 pairs per GP event, so they would have been guaranteed 191 points for 8th place (no possibility of being shut out). That's not far from what they now have guaranteed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... But I thought that - since someone wrote JGPs count towards OG team points - they had a better chance of scoring higher at JGP than at GP?

But I think A/W are much more likely to get 1st at the best of their two JGPs than they would have been to get 5th or better at a single senior GP.

At a senior GP they could even be shut out of the points (below 8th), whereas they were almost guaranteed points from the JGP even before it started. And indeed they will get at least the 182 points they earned at their first JGP.

Edited to add:
It appears that there are only 8 pairs per GP event, so they would have been guaranteed 191 points for 8th place (no possibility of being shut out). That's not far from what they now have guaranteed.

FWIW:

Katya and Harley earned 190.31 for their total score at Nebelhorn.

In the 2016 GP season, 190.31 would have earned *third* place at four GPs: Skate America, Skate Canada, Rostelecom, NHK.

Would have earned fourth at 2016 Cup of China.

Would have earned fifth at 2016 Trophee de France.

In terms of points toward the Olympic team event:
GP third place = 324
GP fourth place = 292
GP fifth place = 262
JGP first place = 250​

In the 2015 GP season, Katya and Harley's Nebelhorn scores (incl. 64.51 for the SP) would have earned *third* at three GPs: Skate America, Skate Canada, NHK.
Would have earned fourth at 2015 Cup of China, TEB, Rostelecom.

Those who fall within the "3 years" rule can go if they get an approval by IOC executive board (and aren't blocked by former NOC). ...

This three year rule has been discussed in various places in the context of Olivia Smart and Kirill Khaliavin, who both competed for their last countries just under three years from the time of the games. ...

Thx for filling me in.
Wasn't aware.