2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 1 | Page 113 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 1

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Times sure have changed. I don't think Michelle was followed around by cameras in Nagano right after Tara took the lead. Yeah we saw her walking down the halls wiping away tears :( but she was pretty much left alone. And of course in SLC they let her go behind the closed doors to be by herself without a moment of nastiness. Such things would never happen today. The media have long crossed the line, its unfortunate :disagree:

No the media has often been intrusive. I can remember David Santee interviewing Brian Orser in the kiss and cry in Calgary 1988 and asking him how it felt to lose the gold medal.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No the media has often been intrusive. I can remember David Santee interviewing Brian Orser in the kiss and cry in Calgary 1988 and asking him how it felt to lose the gold medal.

Oh my God, seriously?! Poor Brian! I'm sure he reacted better than I would have, which would have been to punch that guy in the face!

The media can be such a pain...they'd be better off using the athletes social media to bring us the Games, I've been catching up on Instagram and there's lots to see!

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Totally agree. When they kept hyping Nathan up, I just knew something bad was going to happen. I mean, sure he is an amazing talent and one of the favorites this year, but they were acting like he was reigning World Champ or the male version of Evgenia or something. Much like Gracie Gold, I feel like the US media is just so desperate to pin their Olympic dreams on the new up and coming American youngster, it can be so distracting and end up having a negative impact for the athlete. I felt so bad when they basically cornered Nathan to interview him after his disastrous short. I know being in the Mix interview zone or whatever it is called is required but still. I heard Kolyada stormed past the reporters to avoid questioning, and I would've done something similar in the interest of self-preservation/not bawling on international TV. Kudos to Nathan for keeping it together and giving pretty honest, reasonable answers. Hope he redeems himself on the individual competitions.

They don't give the fans enough credit, my opinion. I don't think the Us viewers are interested in this sport only when there's a chance of a gold medal or a cheesy story. I mean the casual viewers. This is a sport that can be watched for multiple reasons and medals is not the first one. Maybe I am naive, but this sport combines athleticism with art, and you can find yourself cheering for performances, not favorites.
Media, in general, acts like every person who turns on a TV must be lacking a brain so they must be feed exaggerated stories. Let people enjoy the performances, give them the basic info about scoring, about the elements and a few words about the athletes and you're good to go. So no need to stalk Chen or others, we will watch it, no need for the Hunger Games!

bobbob

Medalist
I disagree. They were looking very calculated throughout the performance. Only when they finished the tough elements did they loosen up. Of course they were also facing a ton of pressure when Kolyada bombed and good on them for going clean and having a strong skate. The judges were probably hankering for a clean skate (D/R were rough on the lutzes bur overall solid).

S/K was a pleasant surprise too and alleviated some of the damage from Nathan placing lower than expected.

If you think Tarasova and Morosov look calculated what do you have to say about Duhamel and Radford? I do think there is an argument that S/M should have higher PCS, but compared to D/R, T/M's PCS was fine.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
If you think Tarasova and Morosov look calculated what do you have to say about Duhamel and Radford? I do think there is an argument that S/M should have higher PCS, but compared to D/R, T/M's PCS was fine.
D/R look exuberant and naive--certainly not calculated.

Warwick360

Medalist
Just caught the whole thing just now. What a hot mess. Thank god I didn't waste time waiting all night for the Men's.

Patrick, a mess (predicted). Han, a mess (predicted). But Chen? What in the name of skating Gods. Also, what a disaster from Kolyada. He made Kovtun's disaster programs look OGM standard. :disapp:

Hoping that the actual Men's SP events will be much better than what I saw today. :disapp:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Gosh russianfan, you've had a year since joining this Forum to call it stupid and didn't. Seems like the only time it became an issue for you was after the results from last night. Was it stupid when you watched Yulia in 2014 win her one and only OGM, ...I wonder. As it's been a year on this Forum, I don't recall you ever bemoaning her medal or that of Plushy and others. Were these as well tainted or somehow unearned...

Here's the thing russianfan, try calling Team events 'stupid' to legends like Mark Spitz, Mary Lou Retton, Usain Bolt, or Michael Phelps, and see how they react to your dismissal of their Olympic medals and moments. But hey, if it helps your narrative in the next few days, ...'stupid' it is! :rolleye:

Hey, that's not fair. Why would he/she discuss the team event on the forum when it wasn't even the Olympics? That doesn't make sense at all...
Also, he/she has clearly explained his/her reasoning for why the team event doesn't make sense. You just chose to focus on the one part that you didn't like.
As for Mark Spitz, Mary Lou Retton, Usain Bolt, or Michael Phelps, guess what? Their sports actually include team aspects on a normal basis. To insert such an event at the Olympics for figure skating is just not comparable to team gymnastics, or swimming, for example, which happens at nearly ever meet.

As for the results from last night, yes they were shocking. After all, no one expected to see Nathan in 4th or for Patrick Chan to be in 3rd after falling twice and having a messy 3-2, or for Alexei Bychenko to be in 2nd! (good for him!) But not shocking enough for civility to go out the window.

moriel

Record Breaker
Tech panel is bought by Canada?
https://cdn.tribuna.com/fetch/?url=http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1518254999/21f0a67f/20525185.gif

How this obvious 3A<< can be missed? He should got zero point for this and Canada should be lower in standings.

Nah, figure skating is just weird like that.
Osmond and Medvedeva get positive GOE for their flutzes. Osmond usually gets a +2 on it.
Satoko and Shoma pre-rotate. Way more than this << that you spotted.
Caro gets 75 PCs for a majorly flawed performance.

The scoring system is misleading - it looks like it is supposed to be precise and measure stuff, but in fact it doesnt. Be happy if the overall ranking makes any sense at all.

As for our canadian fans, i kinda wonder if you are a fair sample from canadian population. Because well, ive seen many of you complaining about Medvedeva getting high PCs despite a fall and agreeing that falls = lower PCs no matter what. I wonder where are you people now complaining about how PC got high PCs despite two falls. Why arent you guys complaining that he is overscored and too high in the standings, and should drop at least 2 positions?
You are as nationalistic and biased as everybody else.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Since Olympic Opening Ceremony is the psychological start to the Games, I wonder what Team Event One outcomes might have been if it had taken place AFTER the opening ceremonies. My impression of Team One in general on the day was one of disconnection, rushed, floundering in left field, hit the ground running, with little time for skaters, fans to pump up and truly anticipate the performances. Maybe this is the cause for speculation regarding Team Event importance and signifucance. Too late now, of course..... very poor planning. :drama: hope the morale picks up after such a lackluster start, though there were some performances to remember in Event One.

Ziotic

Medalist
As for our canadian fans, i kinda wonder if you are a fair sample from canadian population. Because well, ive seen many of you complaining about Medvedeva getting high PCs despite a fall and agreeing that falls = lower PCs no matter what. I wonder where are you people now complaining about how PC got high PCs despite two falls. Why arent you guys complaining that he is overscored and too high in the standings, and should drop at least 2 positions?

I think the difference is that Patrick isn’t getting 10’s when he falls, but Evgenia has on more than one occasion.

Can they both be overscored, absolutely. Is it to the same degree? I would argue no.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think the difference is that Patrick isn’t getting 10’s when he falls, but Evgenia has on more than one occasion.

Can they both be overscored, absolutely. Is it to the same degree? I would argue no.

Moren than one occasion? Evgenia fell maybe 2 or 3 times in her whole senior career. Maybe you are mistaken Evgenia for Carolina.

Nocturne

On the Ice
Tech panel is bought by Canada?
https://cdn.tribuna.com/fetch/?url=http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1518254999/21f0a67f/20525185.gif

How this obvious 3A<< can be missed? He should got zero point for this and Canada should be lower in standings.

They were nice with the rotations to everybody. Shomas 4F with a stepout didnt receive an UR either. Judging is strange and will always be subjective anyway.

But I find it really unfair of you to claim he should receive 0 points for it. No he should not. Thats not how the rules work. Even a fallen UR 3Axel gives about 3-4 points after you've taken the neccessary deductions. There is no rule that states a fallen Underrotated jump will receive no points at all. 0 points are for invalid elements and no, a fall on a not fully rotated required 3A will not make said jump invalid.
So stop this "should get a 0"-nonsense.

Nocturne

On the Ice

Take a look at the protocol and you'll see that Patrick only got 8,5 in the Performance componant, but over 9 in the other 4 components. Such a wide spread in one's PCS is unusual and shows that the judges actually did their job and marked the performance lower than his SS or Composition because of the falls. They did their job. Substracting points for falls from all 4 other categories as well would result in penalizing faults more than twice. If we did that, then we could get rid of music and a program altogether and hold an only jumping contest instead.

I think we can argue that they could have lowered Patrick's performance Componant even further to a 7,5 to reflect that there were 2 falls, but I think we should be happy that they even did deduct for them at all. It's not usual. And it certainly didnt happen to Medvedeva because she still received over 9 points in Performance, which was still in line with her other componants.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Moren than one occasion? Evgenia fell maybe 2 or 3 times in her whole senior career. Maybe you are mistaken Evgenia for Carolina.

I like Evegenia, but she's fallen more times than that. Four times that I can recall in her first season alone (Nepela, SA, Rostelecom, Euros).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I like Evegenia, but she's fallen more times than that. Four times that I can recall in her first season alone (Nepela, SA, Rostelecom, Euros).

If we talk about falls, i think that Mai Mihara is the skater who falls the least. Just one fall in her first senior season, and this season her only fall was at nationals.
Miyahara too rarely falls.

randomfan

Record Breaker

That’s not what Ziotic said. He/she was noting that there was more than one time when Evgenia received 10s despite falling.