2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1213 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don't know why people keep putting words in my mouth. I am not making this a Zhenya vs Alina debate. I am simply saying that Alina did not deserve the sudden PCS jump in just ONE competition and right before the Olympics. Alina performed the same program the entire season and very conveniently right before Olympics is when the judges thought she suddenly needed a boost in PCS points with about 4.5 points. As I was saying in my original comment, the judges can decide to give anyone they want the PCS points they need to win and they would get away with it because people would still jump through hoops to justify it. They saw it happen in the previous Olympics without any consequences so why would they stop.

You do precisely that. Once again, during 2015/16 season (if we put 2015 Nepela Trophy aside) Zhenya's PCS rose from 67.16 to 72.34 in one season with the same program, more than 5 points. You can't rant specifically and exclusively how Alina didn't deserve 5 points jumps and let it go with other skaters. That only shows how unfair this attitude of some of Alina's antifans towards her is.

It is not a plot, it is not a conspiracy, Alina was the best at Europeans, Alina was best at Olympics amnd that's why she won. It happened two years ago and if you did not manage to deal with it than it is your problem that should not be solved in 2019-20 season (already finished actually) thread.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
All of the figure skaters that arrived in Novogorsk earlier have tested negative in their first covid test; and were allowed to start training.

renebaebae

On the Ice
You do precisely that. Once again, during 2015/16 season (if we put 2015 Nepela Trophy aside) Zhenya's PCS rose from 67.16 to 72.34 in one season with the same program, more than 5 points. You can't rant specifically and exclusively how Alina didn't deserve 5 points jumps and let it go with other skaters. That only shows how unfair this attitude of some of Alina's antifans towards her is.

It is not a plot, it is not a conspiracy, Alina was the best at Europeans, Alina was best at Olympics amnd that's why she won. It happened two years ago and if you did not manage to deal with it than it is your problem that should not be solved in 2019-20 season (already finished actually) thread.

5 points over a season (7 or more competitions) is not the same as 4.5 points between in ONE competition and almost 9 points higher in a season. The entire progress you claim Evgenia made in a year, Alina made almost that in ONE competition.

Also, no one said Alina wasn't the best at Europeans that year but the last time I checked being the best at a competiton doesn't give you a 4.5 PCS jump from your last competition. People have been winning Europeans before and after Alina, she wasn't the first to win that competition and she didn't even win it the next year but nobody got a 4.5 PCS point bonus from their last competition.

Again, I'm not randomly hating on Alina or ranting or whatever you want you call it to make yourself feel better, I am using her as an example to say that the judges will give whoever they want to win the PCS points they need to do so because they were worried about the next season being cancelled and not having the oppurtunity to build PCS points.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
5 points over a season (7 or more competitions) is not the same as 4.5 points between in ONE competition and almost 9 points higher in a season. The entire progress you claim Evgenia made in a year, Alina made almost that in ONE competition.

Also, no one said Alina wasn't the best at Europeans that year but the last time I checked being the best at a competiton doesn't give you a 4.5 PCS jump from your last competition. People have been winning Europeans before and after Alina, she wasn't the first to win that competition and she didn't even win it the next year but nobody got a 4.5 PCS point bonus from their last competition.

Again, I'm not randomly hating on Alina or ranting or whatever you want you call it to make yourself feel better, I am using her as an example to say that the judges will give whoever they want to win the PCS points they need to do so because they were worried about the next season being cancelled and not having the oppurtunity to build PCS points.

That makes completely no difference. It is the same program, which was pointed as a problem, this shows it is not a problem, for one program one skater can get 70 or 75 and not just Alina. By simple comparing the performances from GPF 2017 (definitely not Alina's best) and Europeans/Olympics one can see the improvement.

BTW it is funny becasue it's not so long ago when we were told "you cannot compare through different competitions" and now it is done by many. Look, the level of PCS can be set very roughlyn and when someone says 75 is too much I can say with the same ease 70 is too low. Is there some basic level from which PCS could be varied? No, there isn't. In theory you can get 72 for the same performance at one competition and 75 at another, because there is hardly anything that can serve as a converter. The only thing that matters in this is how a skater is scored in comparison with the others. So, rant about Alina's score as much as you want, but if you admit that could be considered as the best, than to prevent raising her PCS you should lower the other's PCS accordingly.

It just doesn't matter what the total number is that much as it matters how it is in comparison with the others. Claims about the "judges "who want somebody to win" are unfair, disrespectful and hating on Alina and her performance and you are on the wrong place and on the wrong time with that.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
In an interview to RIA Sport, Alexander Lakernik said the ISU is trying to do "everything possible so that the Junior Grand Prix Series takes place." More details will be known in about two weeks, according to him.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
In an interview to RIA Sport, Alexander Lakernik said the ISU is trying to do "everything possible so that the Junior Grand Prix Series takes place." More details will be known in about two weeks, according to him.

Just... cancel it. With current travel bans, needs for testing and quarantining... many countries being a mess (especially USA and Russia...). How could skaters compete in two competitions with quarantining? Many of the small fed skaters with one assignment might not bother because it might be too much hassle for them and too much risk.

As it is... it is not really doable. Unless you want to push it back for few months.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

This is never a good comparison. A judge should always assess marks relative to the skaters performing in the same event. I would hate for judges to lowball marks just because a skater didn't get better marks in previous events. You may call it something else, but what you're promoting is reputation judging.

Finley

Record Breaker
A really good quote from Kurt Browning, who was repeating advice given to him by Scott Hamilton after he questioned his own results in a competition -

"Never second guess a win."

Figure skating is just "that" sport where the results are questionable from so many different perspectives. It is the nature something subjective that it begs to be analysed and re-evaluated.

It's just a shame when that takes an unpleasant turn. A part of Adelina Sotnikova's joy was stolen by angry fans who tormented her online to the point that she ultimately deleted her IG and created a new account. It was so bad I had to stop following her because the negativity was too much.

When Alina won gold it was never that bad, but the prevailing sentiment of the elite figures in the Russian Figure Skating community was that she shouldn't have won. That had to hurt. I'm glad that ultimately she rose above all that and proved herself at World's in Saitama. It's like she finally 'deserved' to win the Olympics after that victory.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Can Alina face some problems with entering Novogorsk considering the last virus news?

She shouldn't - when she arrives, she'll have to through the same procedure as the skaters that came earlier: med screening & a covid test, and stay in isolation until the test results are known.

mdl

On the Ice

Precisely!

and I also don't understand why this is considered by some as hate... nobody is insulting the skater nor making any personal remarks, etc.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I’m glad all the skaters at Novogorsk have tested negative. Hopefully this means they will be able to go on the ice soon - maybe tomorrow?

Anyway, still waiting for a full list of skaters to be released, or a socially distant selfie from Daniil would be fine too :)

macy

Record Breaker
Flanker has created a new Russian Ladies thread for 2020-21 for those who haven't seen yet.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
The PCS boost for Zagitova was widely noticed. It’s not an insult. Also, her win over Medvedeva was by a very slim margin with Medvedeva tying her in the LP despite Zagitova backloading. It’ll always be discussed and debated. Fans should know this happens all the time and not take it so personally.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
For me...,

Now that's a blast from the past. What's it been, 2 years Shayuki and now you're back. Much has transpired since your leave including some previous 'never gonna happen' predictions. Oh btw, would you and Spirals please say 'hi' to the gang at the bureau for me.

Thanks!

voolfee

On the Ice
The PCS boost for Zagitova was widely noticed. It’s not an insult. Also, her win over Medvedeva was by a very slim margin with Medvedeva tying her in the LP despite Zagitova backloading. It’ll always be discussed and debated. Fans should know this happens all the time and not take it so personally.

What is there to discuss? Alina didn't deserve those components for her programs? She had to win with a much wider margin if Evgenia hadn't been overscored for her past merits. This should be discussed rather than Alina’s PCS.

Finley

Record Breaker

No need to take anything personally. If it's not about you then it's not about you. There are over 7 billion people in the world. In all likelihood, only 1/7 billionth of it is about you. In reality, probably none of it is about you, and all of it is about the person posting it.

This is equal parts comforting and disturbing when taken on a post by post basis.