2019 End-Of-Year Eisgala At Oberstdorf | Golden Skate

2019 End-Of-Year Eisgala At Oberstdorf

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It’s that time of year again when tradition would have it that I start a thread about the end of year Eisgala in Oberstdorf, which is being held tonight.

As usual, the gala coincides with the opening round of the Four Hills ski jumping tournée at the nearby Schattenbergschanze. However, because of the way the calendar has worked out for 2019, the Gala is being held the day after competition day this year. Which will probably work out better for those that want to attend both.

Before their LIVE coverage of the ski jumping competition yesterday, ARD showed an hour of highlights from the sister gala that was held at Ingolstadt the previous Sunday. Here is a list of the routines shown:

• Annette DYTRTOVÁ / Yannick BONHEUR 1
  • Andrei KUTOVOI
  • Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE 1
  • Kevin VAN DER PERREN
  • Group Performance
  • Aljona SAVCHENKO & Eric RADFORD
  • Alexander PLUSHENKO & Evgeni PLUSHENKO
  • Flying On Ice (Mery ACEVEDO LUQUE & Alfonso CAMPA)
  • Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE 2
  • Violetta AFANASIEVA
  • Eric RADFORD
  • Annette DYTRTOVÁ / Yannick BONHEUR 2
  • Evgeni PLUSHENKO

Markus ENGELSTÄDTER and his band were providing live musical accompaniment to a lot of the routines, as he will in Oberstdorf tonight. And, unfortunately, the director was cutting to shots of him during the routines. :mad:

After Plushenko, ARD cut straight to LIVE coverage of the ski jumping. The way the ending was so abrupt, without any talking from Daniel Weiss after Plushenko’s routine, did give me the impression that the highlights programme had been pulled off air before it was finished, so as to get to the ski jumping. As a result, they did not show any other routines. However, I did spot Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRÈS in the Group Performance.

And I admit, I was a bit mischievous in that list above. Savchenko and Radford were not skating together. Eric was playing the piano while Aljona was doing a Singles routine. That was interesting to watch in itself, because I don’t think I had ever seen Aljona doing a Singles routine before. And the same was the case when it was Eric’s turn to do a Singles routine later on.

Anyway, from what I can see on the website, it is largely the same skaters that will be performing at Oberstdorf tonight.

The Oberstdorf Eisgala starts at 19:30 CET tonight, Monday 30[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2019.

As for TV coverage, the days when we got LIVE coverage on Eurosport seem very long ago. This year there is a 30 minute highlights programme being shown on BR Fernsehen nearly 3 weeks after the event. :disapp:

BR Fernsehen (All times CET)

Saturday 18[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2020
BR 17:15 – 17:45 Blickpunkt Sport: Eisgala Oberstdorf

It may be very short, but it is better than nothing.

Hopefully we will get to see a good selection of routines.

CaroLiza_fan

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
  • Annette DYTRTOVÁ / Yannick BONHEUR 1
  • Andrei KUTOVOI
  • Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE 1
  • Kevin VAN DER PERREN
  • Group Performance
  • Aljona SAVCHENKO & Eric RADFORD
  • Alexander PLUSHENKO & Evgeni PLUSHENKO
  • Flying On Ice (Mery ACEVEDO LUQUE & Alfonso CAMPA)
  • Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE 2
  • Violetta AFANASIEVA
  • Eric RADFORD
  • Annette DYTRTOVÁ / Yannick BONHEUR 2
  • Evgeni PLUSHENKO

CaroLiza_fan

Thank you for this info CaroLiza_fan. Oberstdorf is my favorite place to watch figure skating and one of my favorite places just to be in. I went to the World Junior Championships there in 2007 and have been back to watch the Nebelhorn a couple of times since then. I would love to able to go to the Eisgala sometime.

I was interested to see the first pair you listed and find out that Annette is the former German single ladies champion (as well as a former Czech champion as well). I remember seeing her in person at one of the Grand Prix events I was able to attend. More info about her is on Wikipedia for anyone interested as well as this YouTube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCN-qZtkh00.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thank you for this info CaroLiza_fan. Oberstdorf is my favorite place to watch figure skating and one of my favorite places just to be in. I went to the World Junior Championships there in 2007 and have been back to watch the Nebelhorn a couple of times since then. I would love to able to go to the Eisgala sometime.

It has long been my dream to go to Oberstdorf over the festive period, to take in both the Four Hills and the Eisgala. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened yet (largely because, by the time I think of looking into it, both are sold out).

To be honest, I think the Nebelhorn has lost a lot of it's gloss in the past few years. It was always the most prestigious of the Senior B competitions. But since becoming a Challenger event, it doesn't seem to attract as many entries as it used to, or the same depth in quality of the fields. Which is a shame.

That said, I am keeping an eye out for the entries to Oberstdorf's other big competition, the Bavarian Open in February. Because, now that she has not made it onto the Russian team for Europeans, I have a feeling that Liza Tuktamysheva might enter it, due to a sense of unfinished business. (The last time she competed at the Bavarian Open, she won the SP, and then withdrew).

I was interested to see the first pair you listed and find out that Annette is the former German single ladies champion (as well as a former Czech champion as well). I remember seeing her in person at one of the Grand Prix events I was able to attend. More info about her is on Wikipedia for anyone interested as well as this YouTube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCN-qZtkh00.

(Firstly, I should explain that I have always tended to use the Czech version of Annette's surname. The reason being that, although she was born in Germany and spent most of her career representing Germany, she is from a Czech family).

Although I remember both Annette and Yannick from when they were competing, this was the first time I had seen them skating together. For that matter, it was my first time seeing Annette skating Pairs. I was actually quite impresed with them. And it did make me wish that they had returned to competitive skating together.

That said, I did find it kinda surrel to see Yannick and Vanessa on the same bill, but not skating together. But, a LOT of water has gone under the bridge since they were partners. You know, it is interesting seeing how the careers of former partners can go very differently after they split. In this case, Yannick has become a successful exhibition skater, while Vanessa has stayed in competition and is now reigning European Champion.

I want to add that I thought it was so cute seeing Sasha Plushenko skating one of his Dad's iconic routines ("Tango Amore") in Ingolstadt, and then for his Dad to come out and join him towards the end! So, I really hope that the Oberstdorf audience get to see it as well.

Whilst it would have been nice to go this year, and not have to worry about rushing from the ski jumping hill to the ice rink, I am glad I didn't. Because this year's series of Galas have a Queen theme to them. You would think this would make me want to go even more, because Queen is my favourite band of all time. The thing is - Markus Engelstädter is no Freddie Mercury. It was actually painful listening to him murdering their songs.

So, maybe next year...

CaroLiza_fan

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I attended the Icegala in Ingolstadt last week. Normally I go to Oberstdorf, but this year Plushenko should come to Ingolstadt (and only Ingolstadt) and because I´m a huuuge Plushenko fan we went there instead. :biggrin:
I really liked the show and also the music. The big surprise was Aljona. It was not previously announced that she would come, only that Eric will be there and I was wondering what he should do there alone. I was very happy to see Aljona again and Eric on the piano was also wonderful. :love:

Apparently at the broadcast they left out James / Ciprès who also skated two times and Sofie Barnova.
I don´t know if Daniel Weiss said it in the TV, but Annette´s skates didn´t come in time, so she skated in Sofie´s skates. :thumbsup:

As far as I know today in Oberstdorf are the same skaters without Plushenko, but with Kamila Valieva.

It has long been my dream to go to Oberstdorf over the festive period, to take in both the Four Hills and the Eisgala. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened yet (largely because, by the time I think of looking into it, both are sold out).

To be honest, I think the Nebelhorn has lost a lot of it's gloss in the past few years. It was always the most prestigious of the Senior B competitions. But since becoming a Challenger event, it doesn't seem to attract as many entries as it used to, or the same depth in quality of the fields. Which is a shame.

That said, I am keeping an eye out for the entries to Oberstdorf's other big competition, the Bavarian Open in February. Because, now that she has not made it onto the Russian team for Europeans, I have a feeling that Liza Tuktamysheva might enter it, due to a sense of unfinished business. (The last time she competed at the Bavarian Open, she won the SP, and then withdrew).

CaroLiza_fan
Oh yes, for the Four Hills you must be fast, both with tickets and with hotel. For the Gala not that fast (one or two months before should be enough).

Yes, it is really a shame with Nebelhorn. But I think it´s because there are now many challenger and other competitions and Oberstdorf is just too far away from the next airport. For the Russian skaters it´s too expensive, so I don´t think there will be any at Bavarian Open - or Nebelhorn. :(
But would be great if Liza would come again!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I saw on his Instagram Andrei Kutovoy has been busy performing in shows in Germany these days. So good to see his budding talent recognized also outside Russia :agree:

Aljona Savchenko & ... ERIC RADFORD..???? :shocked::eekn: what a surprise but I find this pairing totally exciting!!! will they plan to perform together beyond this show???

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I saw on his Instagram Andrei Kutovoy has been busy performing in shows in Germany these days. So good to see his budding talent recognized also outside Russia :agree:

Aljona Savchenko & ... ERIC RADFORD..???? :shocked::eekn: what a surprise but I find this pairing totally exciting!!! will they plan to perform together beyond this show???

Sorry to disappoint you, but that was me being mischievous in my wording.

Aljona was actually doing a Singles routine. Eric was on the ice, but he was sitting behind a piano, playing the music that she was skating to.

But, it has got me curious about what they would be like as a Pairs partnership. It would be fascinating to see.

CaroLiza_fan

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Sorry to disappoint you, but that was me being mischievous in my wording.

Aljona was actually doing a Singles routine. Eric was on the ice, but he was sitting behind a piano, playing the music that she was skating to.

But, it has got me curious about what they would be like as a Pairs partnership. It would be fascinating to see.

CaroLiza_fan

Oh I see, my bad for jumping on the conclusion too hastily :palmf: But I know Eric is a wonderful musician as well. It must have been a special performance! :love:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh I see, my bad for jumping on the conclusion too hastily :palmf: But I know Eric is a wonderful musician as well. It must have been a special performance! :love:

Yeah, I was being a bad person. Whilst I did explain it in a paragraph in my Original Post, I put other stuff in between the list and the explanation. So it was easy to miss.

It was special. Aljona has been doing Pairs for so long that I had never seen her skating Singles before. But, she did not disgrace herself. And as you say, Eric is a wonderful musician (as is his sister).

I really hope somebody uploads the performance to YouTube.

Here is Kamila skating to the piano: https://youtu.be/ydjpSgYSP3w

Ah, so that's what she did to pass the time while everybody else was busy competing at Nationals. She went to Chemnitz to do an exhibition! :biggrin:

Since the Chemnitz gala is part of the same series as the Ingolstadt and Oberstdorf galas, it would probably be appropriate to link to all the videos:

Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje 1
Vanessa James / Morgan Cipres
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje 2
Eric Radford
Andrei Kutovoi
Kamila Valieva
Finale

Thank you for finding the channel, Edwin :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States

That said, I did find it kinda surrel to see Yannick and Vanessa on the same bill, but not skating together. But, a LOT of water has gone under the bridge since they were partners. You know, it is interesting seeing how the careers of former partners can go very differently after they split. In this case, Yannick has become a successful exhibition skater, while Vanessa has stayed in competition and is now reigning European Champion.CaroLiza_fan

The two times that I went to the Nebelhorn were the years 2013 and 2017 which is when the Nebelhorn was used to determine the last qualifying countries for skating entries in the Olympics. This meant that there was real tension and emotion in the skaters that were trying to qualify. Of course these were not the best skaters because their countries had already qualified. Each time though there were a few outstanding skaters. In 2013 Elena Radionova was there when she was a junior skater and she was wonderful both in her program and in the exhibition. In 2017 Aliona and Bruno were there and, although they were not as good yet as they were at the Olympics, it was great to see them up close.

In 2007 at Junior Worlds I got to see Vanessa skating as a singles skater representing Great Britain.

The nice thing about the Nebelhorn is that you generally don't need to worry about tickets, you can buy them after you get to town, and they are usually pretty inexpensive. I spent a week in Oberstdorf each time I have gone there and rented a holiday apartment just across the creek less than 5 minutes from the rink. In 2007 when my wife was with me, she ended up going back to the apartment a couple of times to use the loo because there was a line (a very small line compared to some places) in the arena. There are also a bunch of lovely restaurants in Oberstdorf as well. I guess you can tell that I love Oberstdorf:love:.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thank you both, Edwin for the link to Ingolstadt, and CaroLiza_fan for all the info. I appreciate it a lot!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I have to add something: Eric's music and playing is beautiful, and Aljona interpreted it perfectly. I felt the tears welling in the corner of my eyes....

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so I know this year’s thread hasn’t had much talk about Oberstdorf gala itself, due to the lack of TV coverage. So, I just want to bring the talk back to Oberstdorf and say that I think the village, and the Eissportzentrum in particular, has hit the jackpot with their programme of events over this past week.

DayEvent
Saturday 28[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2019Four Hills Ski Jumping Round 1 Qualification
Sunday 29[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2019Four Hills Ski Jumping Round 1 Competition
Monday 30[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2019Eisgala Exquisit
Tuesday 31[SUP]st[/SUP] December 2019New Year’s Eve
Wednesday 1[SUP]st[/SUP] January 2020German Figure Skating Championships (Practices)
Thursday 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] January 2020German Figure Skating Championships (Short Programmes)
Friday 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] January 2020German Figure Skating Championships (Free Skates)
Saturday 4[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2020Disco On Ice

The first thing that I think was a bonus was that Daniel Weiss’ Gala was not being held on the same day as the ski jumping, but instead was held the day after. Admittedly, this had nothing to do with the Eissportzentrum – the Gala was the same day as it was every year; it was the ski jumping that was a day earlier. But, it would have allowed more people to take in both events.

The real Eureka moment was following this with the German Championships. Admittedly, this will not be a regular thing, because the Championships move around the country each year. But, whoever decided to move the Championships from their usual week in mid December to the New Year week is an absolute genius! Not only did it mean that the German Championships didn’t clash with other figure skating events, but it meant that Oberstdorf was able to put on a week long ice skating extravaganza.

And then having a fun night on the ice for the public to finish the week is just the cherry on the top!

Although not all the people that were attending the ski jumping would be interested in ice skating, having all these events happening in the village would undoubtedly have attracted a significant number of people to stay on in Oberstdorf once the headline event of the Four Hills was over.

See, NISA, this is what you call inspired thinking. You could have had a similar ice skating extravaganza in a couple of months time to mark 70 years since London last hosted Senior Worlds if only you had opted to hold your 2020 Junior Synchro Worlds in Wembley. (For more on this suggestion, see this post and this post). But, instead you stuck to the “alternate big events between Nottingham or Sheffield” mentality, and took them to Nottingham instead. :palmf:

Except that I like the way the German Fed moves the National Championships around each year, giving fans in different parts of the country the opportunity to see their country’s best skaters without having to travel a big distance, I would suggest that they do this in Oberstdorf every year!

CaroLiza_fan