2021-22 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2021-22 South Korean Figure Skating

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
What's the story behind You Young's Whirling Winds sp? There are some nice moments in it. It's unfortunate she goes to cooking class with Tammy Carrot Cake Gambill, so the triple-triple being UR cost her valuable marks.

Dawn825

Medalist
Young should change coaches for sure, she's so talented. Who is telling her that the easiest way to land a triple axel is from a slow straight line within sneezing distance from the judges??

Dawn825

Medalist
Haein is also trying to do hers from a straight line. It doesnt make any sense to me.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Good luck to the Koreans today. I hope to see them all score over 200+ internationally with this event with good skates. I honestly can’t believe only You is the only Korean in the top 29 of 200+ Skaters Season Best list this year.

Last edited:

Dawn825

Medalist
Poor Young. I hope her confidence isn't too badly shaken for the Olympics. She shouldn't have been here, she should have been home getting the most out of her last few weeks of training :(

Briananing

On the Ice
Haein is also trying to do hers from a straight line. It doesnt make any sense to me.
They must have the same technician who teached them then. Haein should have gone to Sihyeong’s, he doesnt have the same straight long entrance style that Young and Jun have which can be very noticeable and even kinda disrupt the enjoyment of a program if they didnt put it right on the music like Jun’s turandot.

Speaking of Sihyeong, I notice he seems to change some of the choreography for the FS ? It looks different than when he did nebelhorn. I like the nebelhorn version better honestly.

fehervari

On the Ice
With new season threads popping up I thought I'd open a new thread for our skaters too. As a recap, here are the National Teams, main and reserve:

Main Team
Ladies - Kim Yelim, Yun Ahsun*, You Young, Lee Haein, Wi Seoyoung, Lim Eunsoo, Kim Chaeyeon*, Kim Hanul
Men - Cha Junhwan, Lee Sihyeong, Cha Younghyun, Kyeong Jaeseok

Reserve Team
Ladies - Ji Seoyeon, Kim Minchae, Park Yeonjeong, Lee Siwon, Moon Boin, Shin Jia*(J), Kang Jooha*, Kang Eunsoo, Song Siwoo*(J)
Men - Lee Jaekeun*, Jeong Deokhoon, Kim Hangil

*not age eligible for seniors

And of course, Min/Eaton as our only senior Ice Dance team are also on the national team. Sungmin (from Jeon/Choi) is still looking for a partner and I don't know whether Lee Namu/Kim Jinny are still together and if so ready for international competition or not, so until there is news Min/Eaton remain our sole ID team, practically speaking.

Jia and Siwoo are marked (J) for domestic junior as of now, but if they pass the level test for their 7th level* on June 5th they'll be able to compete at JGP selections. Speaking of the level test, both my tesoro Younghyun and Jaeseok are aiming for their 8th level, which requires a 3A. Younghyun has landed underrotated/downgraded ones in competitions and seemingly rotated ones in practice, Jaeseok landed two rotated ones at the National Figure Skating Competition (one in combination). Will keep you posted.

*needs two out of 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz to get, is required for national level senior competitions and international junior competitions assignments

There are also a few others to keep an eye out for, but I'll post something more organized after the first level test of the year (and also after my real life stops interfering with figure skating).
Please help me! A few days ago I watched the "103. National Sport Festival", but I don't understand the categories A, B, C, D. In C was a girl with 3 Salchow, who couldn't stand on the ice, and another with beautiful Billmanns and double-doubles etc. What are the technical requirements? Thanks a lot

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Please help me! A few days ago I watched the "103. National Sport Festival", but I don't understand the categories A, B, C, D. In C was a girl with 3 Salchow, who couldn't stand on the ice, and another with beautiful Billmanns and double-doubles etc. What are the technical requirements? Thanks a lot
So the A/B/C/D are groupings of level 7-8/5-6/3-4/1-2 respectively, and they roughly correspond to senior/junior/novice/pre-novice. To bring back my explanation of the level system that I posted way back when:

Group D: skaters with level 1~2, think pre-novice. (for level 1 you need a waltz jump, 1T, 1S, for level 2 you need 1A, 2T or 2S, and a 1+1 jump combo)
Group C: skaters with level 3~4, think novice. (for level 3 you need 2T, 2S, 2Lo, and a 2+1 or 2+2 jump combo, for level 4 you need 2F, 2Lz, and a 2+2 jump combo)
Group B: skaters with level 5~6, the 'juniors' in the domestic sense. (for level 5 you need a 2A, for level 6 you need 3T and 3S)
Group A: skaters with level 7~8, the 'seniors' in the domestic sense. (ladies - two out of 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz for level 7, a 3+3 jump combo for level 8 / men - a 3+3 jump combo for level 7 and a 3A for level 8)

fehervari

On the Ice
I meant pretty much that, but as if those letters didn’t mean the same thing in elementary, middle, high etc. Anyway, it was a strange competition. Thank you again

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So updates, some old (sorry real life is a b word) and some brand new.

- Yelim tested positive for Covid so Haein is going in her place to Worlds
- In Haein's place Ahsun is going to JW
- Sungmin (as in Jeon/Choi) has finally found a partner, her name is Sohn Gain(read: gah-in)
Sad for Yelim. But, after 4CC, I’m glad Haein is the one to replace her. Also, Ahsun is my favourite Korean skater, so, this makes me happy.

gotoschool

Medalist
Really happy that South Korea earned 3 places for next years Worlds. However, I don't share the same optimism many do regarding the atmosphere of the competitions because the same kind of scoring manipulation and discrimination still exists and has been commented on beneath Haein Lee's and Young You's videos. In fact, it is even more extreme when it comes to the rigged underscoring of Haein Lee likely to try to prevent South Korea from getting three places.

My favorite women's LP performance at Worlds was Haein Lee's, yet it was ridiculously deflated down to 7th place in a statistical flashback to 2016 Worlds when my favorite LP by Mao Asada was also brazenly deflated down to 7th place. The lesson this presents to me is don't let manipulated scoring influence my decision on who I think gives the best performance. In fact, even a scoring comparison to the 4CC's strikingly reveals the scoring manipulation against her in terms of deflated tech and PCS, so that Haein Lee's LP performance that received 143.55 at the 4CC's got a 132 at Worlds and to me Haein's performance at Worlds is even a bit better because there seemed to more snap in her jumps. Haein also had graceful fluidity, smooth speed, beautiful flow, crisp and buttery smooth edging and dramatic expression with marvelous musicality with the most effective and surprising use of screams during her last jumps concluding with a beautiful double axel transitioning quickly out of her step sequence, which was finely attuned to the intricacies of the music with many rapid changes of direction movements and woven together so seamlessly like elegant embroidery in motion.

In terms of the SP, I believe Young You's greatly underscored performance was the best one for the women with a great combination of powerful movement through her jumps, aesthetically pleasing air position with beautiful whip saw motion in the air, a dramatic flair in expression, fine flexibility, impressive speed and rink coverage and she has improved a lot in the intricacy of her edging in the step sequences. As for Haein Lee's SP, she was obviously lowballed especially in PCS. Sorry to hear that Haein Lee may have been forced or "strongly encouraged" to get a booster shot so soon to embarking on the stress of an international flight the next day half way around the world and then forced to perform an SP so soon afterwards. This is likely the reason why she made the small mistake on the backend of her combo in her SP, though the rest of the performance was marvelous.

Looking forward to the possible opportunity of seeing Haein Lee, Young You and Yelim Kim all together at Worlds next season, especially since i did miss Yelim Kim's presence at the competition.

Last edited:

fehervari

On the Ice
nobody is happy with Shin Jia's silver medal on JWC? me neither. the winner Isabeau Levito's free program is one of the bests in this season and she presents it excellently (same funny and elegant). but on last Sunday her skate was only the 3rd so in overall the real gold medalist is Jia,,
the other young Korean ladies: Yun Ahsun's sp was the first time when I liked her skates - her performances always a little bit empties for me but now it was really fine. in it was more passion and charm than her last 10 appearances. I’m in trouble with Wi Seoyeong because when I see her skating, I think she’s a serial killer, but in the kissandcry, she looks like a very nice, cheerful young girl. in my mind I’m always looking for music and programs that would suit her, but I don’t know what she can play well on the ice. (in overall Yun 4th, Wi 5th)
the biggest pleasure for me is the ice dance pair. Hannah and Ye - they are the pearls of Team Korea (6th in overall - so Korea has 2 spots for the next JWC in id and many-many for the jgp-s)

Last edited:
Reactions: ana

gotoschool

Medalist
Will South Korea gaining presidency of the ISU with Kim Jae-youl end the avalanche of rock bottom low balling of South Korean figure skaters or will it potentially be used as a quid pro quo to continue to sacrifice figure skaters for a beneficial treatment of South Korean speed skaters in the future?