2021 JGP Ljubljana: Rhythm Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Ljubljana: Rhythm Dance

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Very good score for the Russians. Now let's hope they've cut the error in the choreo off their free dance.
I think they have, in an interview they gave (yesterday? this week? idk) they said that they take responsibility because they should've known the rules better as the skaters. I think they're incredibly driven and competitive so they surely have (I hope!)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Can anybody explain why Wolfkostin's twizzles were dropped to a Basic level? This is what killed their score, more than the extended lift deduction. I re-watched the twizzles and can't figure it out.
The Flutzes and Waxels podcast talked about why Wolfkostin/Chen lost the twizzle levels on their latest episode. Short answer, they think it's totally correct because at some point on each twizzle set Katerina stopped moving forward and spun in place. Which you can't do in twizzles. Since she did it in each set, each one didn't count, hence the base level. They explain it better if people want to check it out, it's at about 1:08 on the episode for this JGP.

MrSpots

Spectator
Can anybody explain why Wolfkostin's twizzles were dropped to a Basic level? This is what killed their score, more than the extended lift deduction. I re-watched the twizzles and can't figure it out.
The Flutzes and Waxels podcast talked about why Wolfkostin/Chen lost the twizzle levels on their latest episode. Short answer, they think it's totally correct because at some point on each twizzle set Katerina stopped moving
Greetings. I've not posted here before but decided to chime in.

As some of you probably know, the ISU meets with judges and tech panels after each event to discuss any questions or problems that came up. If you wait a few days, you can usually see the issues discussed in this meeting, published online. So if you ever want to see what was discussed after a controversial tech call for example, that’s a good place to start. Or, if it’s available to you, you can try to ask a tech person or attendee as they are sometimes more knowledgeable than fans.

After Ljubljana, no surprise that this issue came up. Why was this ice dance twizzle reduced from 4 to base level?

The use of a single twizzle as a connecting turn, between the first and second twizzle sets, was called into question. The technical person who evaluated the female said this was not allowed. The connecting turn was then counted as her second set of twizzles; a single twizzle, scored as a second set of twizzles, would be base level. The person evaluating the male in the same turn was not of the same opinion, but resolution was not reached until after the event was over (link is below).

At the review session several days later, it was addressed and clarified: Can a single twizzle be used as a connecting turn, between twizzle sets? At that point, they determined that the answer was, in fact, yes. It should have been allowed.

As these things go, the outcome cannot be changed after the fact. The tech person made an error. It cost about four points. Such is the price of education.

I wish you all happy journeys in skating fandom.

From the online PDF document (Sept 29 ISU QA session):

"Question:
Is it allowed to perform connecting turns, including additional single Twizzle(s), between the required Twizzles considered for level?

Answer:
Yes. Any number of connecting turns after the Twizzle rotations considered for level, including additional single Twizzle(s), are permitted. The Technical Panel should not consider the connecting single Twizzle(s) as part of the first or second Twizzles considered for Level."

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...1/26238-additional-questions-answers-1-6/file

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you so much!
Everyone wanted to know.

Welcome to Golden Skate, post long and often!