2021 Skate Canada: Pairs Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Pairs Free Skate

Astolat

On the Ice
Country
Poland
Interestingly Simon doesn't seem to recall that Sui often has trouble on the salchow? Which begs the question, why do they not do a different jump?

And hey Hongbo!
Are they even able to do a lutz of flip? They could try with an axel, but would get less points. May still be a better option if clean.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Congrats to the medalists! I so wish Sui could get a consistent sal, but gosh I love them so much! I was surprised P&K had such problems today, not used to that - hopefully better next time, they are always interesting. And kudos to Cain & LeDuc for moving up to the medals - great result and great fight!

I was thinking K&F would've got silver here with their Skate America score, but then I realized C&J also would have gotten silver here with their Skate America score!

s_parks

Record Breaker
Okay, forget sbs jumps, that spin!! Again! Honestly I'm just as concerned if not more so about levels lol. Didn't they also miss some levels at the olympics, not just the sbs?
But again...I think sometimes we need to just remember it's only the GP and that was never a precise indicator of how the olympics go down lol.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Looking at protocols MT/M got their first two lifts invalidated? What happened, the 2nd was where she came down early.

P/K no PCS over 8, behind J/R on all 5. A lot of work for MT/M, J/R have the edge after today.

UR on Sui 3S

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Live from the rink—Sui/Han wonderful of course despite awful cover; P/K have a fantastic set of programs and once they practice them a bit more, all Russian pairs should be very afraid. Congrats to CG/LD who did well, though Tim boffed both jump passes. Jones/Boyardi were wonderfully moving, I had something in my eye I think by the end of the skate :)

Weathergal

Medalist
Also this is earlier in the season that we're often see Sui / Han. Sometimes we don't see them until 4CCs or even Worlds, I think? So for an early season for them, I think it's pretty promising. That being said, I wish they weren't using covers of Simon and Garfunkel. Overall I didn't love the pairs' music choices this comp.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A bit underwhelming event for me. It started off quite well with Zoe/Chris performing well, even if it's perhaps not at the highest level. Then Lori-Ann and Thierry really skating good (it's one of the best skates I've seen them do, but I've not seen them that often), then Ashley and Tim having a truly wonderful skate - almost made up for their low scores yesterday because they had a mistake then, although I still think they were a bit low balled in their short - and then it all went wrong. Vanessa and Eric made mistakes on the jumps, Kirsten and Michael with the lifts, Minerva Fabiene and Nolan on the throws, and Daria and Denis made mistakes too - despite jumping a spectacular 3-3-2 combination. Sui and Han were really great, but Sui had problems with the 3S again (a fall).

Ashley and Tim had the second best skate of the evening (rightly so) and got themselves a medal, Daria and Denis skated well yesterday (the most acrobatic prgramme I've ever seen of a competitive pair - they could go into the adagio pairs immediately with their spectacular innovations) but not so well today and got the silver on the whole of it, while Sui and Han were in a realm of their own. Even with a fall.