2022-23 Russian National Jumping Championships | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Russian National Jumping Championships

Lurker11

On the Ice
In Russia? Of course they will. In the World? I doubt it despite what Kogan boasted about recently (i.e. international calls praising him for the event etc.). In Men's category they could make it even greater than it was in Russia, for sure. In Women's? Sorry - there is nothing to show in jumps there. Well, fans of particular skaters could enjoy it in theory anyway - so what can I know?
And introducing elimination/rivals system and disqueting music during jumps - was all it required to turn otherwise boring event into solid show. Why they couldn't think up something like that when the first Jumps tournaments were introduced, I wonder? That type of event was considered as failure since then for many years..

The ICU (if the ISU were a patient the ICU is where you would send them) would be loathe to take inspiration from the Russian federation. Plus, in women's it would just highlight the complete dearth of jumping talent in ICU skating. Maybe the ICU could have a twizzle competition for the ladies.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I meant in Russia. Hope you are right and it becomes a yearly event and not a one off.

As a fan of the ladies exclusively, this becoming a world event would actually make it worse. ISU would dumb it down and introduce quotas, entry and age restrictions. No thanks.
And the consistent whining about jumps killing figure skating.....

Last edited:

Azikin

Medalist
As others, I found this much more entertaining than I imagined before, although I was skeptical at first it turned out to be a great idea and innovation that can enrich the skating season.
Really? I don't know, I'm still not interested... ;)

Caliban

On the Ice
Btw, it seems that there is at least one article outside of Russia about that event already:

"Figure skating prodigy Kamila Valieva has won the first Russian "jumping championship"

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
The ICU (if the ISU were a patient the ICU is where you would send them) would be loathe to take inspiration from the Russian federation. Plus, in women's it would just highlight the complete dearth of jumping talent in ICU skating. Maybe the ICU could have a twizzle competition for the ladies.
Or just award gold to a super sweet smile who barely gets a shaky 3lut into a 2ax. CHAMPION!!!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I wanted to say that I loved brackets. Basically, what it did, was to give the tournament a playful vibe with making us realize that this is a game vs ranking competition. Fedorov probably voiced the opinion on that the best, doing his comedic routines. By contrast, too serious reactions where out of place, like when Akatyeva jumped 4, not 5 jumps.

Honestly, the only thing I wished was for women’s bracket to be the same as men’s with 12 participants.

The format was a hoot, despite some of the stronger jumpers eliminated through the luck of the draw.

And, yes, I also like the acknowledgment of the simple inescapable fact that teenage women can jump really really well.

Joy_C

Rinkside
Im happy Mura made the final but ngl she got lucky with her placement to not to have face either of Sofia A, Nika nor Kami. Luck of the draw, as someone who is also watching the World Cup I can say its really essential.
Guess it would have been fairer if point system was used...

Minoru

Rinkside
Off-topic: Zagitova 's voice has matured. It's less high-pitched.
I don't think Alina's voice is high pitch. Voice itself is not so different from Anya (at least closer than Medvedeva). I like both but I like the way Alina speaks, it's cute! Anya speaks a bit too fast. I want to hear both imitate each other !

Ana Raquel

Rinkside
Participants must be born in 2009 or earlier. Women must have at least one competitive attempt of a 3A or any quad with positive GOE. Men must have competitive attempts of at least two different any quads with positive GOE.

18 athletes from among the participants of the individual competition will be invited to participate in the team competition. In case of impossibility or refusal to participate in the team competition, the athlete won't be allowed to participate in the individual competition.

Members of the Russian national figure skating team as well as participants of the team competition are admitted to the main bracket of the individual competitions without qualifier.

For all other athletes there will be a qualifying round on 03 December.

I can't believe how incredibly demanding the coaches and organizers of that competition are! None of the novice skaters have that pressure in the United States,it is not required to have a 3axel to compete in the US as a novice nor in any level. Most girls in the senior and junior team don't have quads nor 3axels anyway and many novices are 13 and up. Why do they demand so much from the skaters? They can't compete internationally anyway maybe until many years.

Last edited:

Ana Raquel

Rinkside
Plushenko names Sofia Titova, Veronika Zhilina, Sofia Muravieva and Nikita Sarnovskiy as participants.
Alena Zhilina will be his next star. She learned a 3axel when she was 8 in 2020!! How old is she now?? She could have more talent and athletic skills than all the girls of his younger group.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I can't believe how incentive demanding the coaches and organizers of that competition are! None of the novice skaters have that pressure in the United States,it is not required to have a 3axel to compete in the US as a novice. Most girls in the senior and junior team don't have quads nor 3axels anyway and they are novices when they are 13 and up. Why do they demand so much from the skaters? They can't compete internationally anyway maybe until many years.
It was a jumping competition.