2022 Beijing Team Event - Day 2 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 Beijing Team Event - Day 2

bekalc

Record Breaker
I thought it was as much fun as the first day. Unfortunately, the third day will be pretty much a formality for every team involved. My main impressions: 1) Schizas skated the best SP of her life and prevailed over Gubanova; 2) Kamila did her thing while Karen Chen bombed and killed any intrigue left for day 3. I am still baffled that Bell was not chosen. I think she is mentally tough and could've placed third. 3) Yuma was awesome and Mark pretty much sealed the deal for his team. 4) Russians not doing any substitutions for day 3 was the biggest surprise for me.
The Russians I think are making the right decision. Olympic gold medalists get a lot of rewards including a life time stipend if they win an OGM.

They have three very talented ladies and pairs how do you pick? Either way deserving people are left out. Which could lead to a ton of drama.

This way is the fairest for them.

All reigning Euro champions. That’s it.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
The criteria is messed up. It penalizes young skaters.

I only support body of work for proven medal contenders.

There was no reason to hold up Jason. He may not even place top ten here.
Or extenuating circumstances like COVID, other medical, etc. -- but that's the crux for me. The implication of how readily the US fed was going to be bypassing Nationals results hadn't sunk in with me until this season played out.

Any way, as for Beijing TE Day 2, despite disappointments for Team USA, overall it was another super enjoyable night of skating for me. Women's especially.

lizardlass

On the Ice
I am still baffled that Bell was not chosen. I think she is mentally tough and could've placed third.
I'm confused by the selection process. Have there been any articles or statements explaining the choices, or even announcing them? Am I just out of the loop, or was the selection of Karen truly made official at the very last minute? I've found it very frustrating to keep track of the news and updates this Olympics.

Why wasn't Mariah chosen? She is national champion, and now she's going to miss out on a team medal. (I'm not hating on Karen here. I love her skating, and I feel a lot of empathy for her. She did the best she could.)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm confused by the selection process. Have there been any articles or statements explaining the choices, or even announcing them? Am I just out of the loop, or was the selection of Karen truly made official at the very last minute? I've found it very frustrating to keep track of the news and updates this Olympics.

Why wasn't Mariah chosen? She is national champion, and now she's going to miss out on a team medal. (I'm not hating on Karen here. I love her skating, and I feel a lot of empathy for her. She did the best she could.)
I read somewhere (too much "information" has been floating around recently) that Karen was chosen shortly after Nationals. Apparently both Alysa and Mariah, both of whom had better seasons/body of work/ Olympic team selection rankings than Karen, were passed over. The fact that they both had COVID at the time the selection was made seems to be the reason. But in the end, with Vincent not performing well enough and the likelihood that our pairs team may not do as well as needed in the free skate, it doesn't really matter. The US is going to get a silver medal. Gold was always the longest of long shots.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I read somewhere (too much "information" has been floating around recently) that Karen was chosen shortly after Nationals. Apparently both Alysa and Mariah, both of whom had better seasons/body of work/ Olympic team selection rankings than Karen, were passed over. The fact that they both had COVID at the time the selection was made seems to be the reason. But in the end, with Vincent not performing well enough and the likelihood that our pairs team may not do as well as needed in the free skate, it doesn't really matter. The US is going to get a silver medal. Gold was always the longest of long shots.

But there's no indication that it had anything to do with Covid since Brandon was chosen to do the pairs. In the end it may not matter as far as the US getting the silver but many feel the medal was "gifted" to Karen when one of the other two US ladies was arguably more deserving.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But there's no indication that it had anything to do with Covid since Brandon was chosen to do the pairs. In the end it may not matter as far as the US getting the silver but many feel the medal was "gifted" to Karen when one of the other two US ladies was arguably more deserving.
True about Brandon--can't explain. But what other explanation is there for not going with the two skaters who by all objective criteria, and by the criteria the USFSA had published, should have been first and second choice?

corinthia

Rinkside
Maybe they saw Karen & Mariah as having roughly equivalent GP/Challenger seasons and roughly equivalent Nats performances, leaving Worlds 2021 as the tiebreaker ???

(and I’m assuming something going on with Alyssa, not sure what)
True about Brandon--can't explain. But what other explanation is there for not going with the two skaters who by all objective criteria, and by the criteria the USFSA had published, should have been first and second choice?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe they saw Karen & Mariah as having roughly equivalent GP/Challenger seasons and roughly equivalent Nats performances, leaving Worlds 2021 as the tiebreaker ???

(and I’m assuming something going on with Alyssa, not sure what)
Maybe, as to Karen and Mariah. Alysa had a better record than both. Maybe COVID was the tie-breaker that kept Mariah off the TE.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I personally don't know the inner workings of USFSA but others have suggested either politics or favoritism may have been involved.

SunnyCA

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Mariah gave an interview already in Beijing and said she still did not know who would be skating in the team event. Yeah, the selection process was pretty opaque and I thought she deserved to be on the team just as much as Karen.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought it was as much fun as the first day. Unfortunately, the third day will be pretty much a formality for every team involved. My main impressions: 1) Schizas skated the best SP of her life and prevailed over Gubanova; 2) Kamila did her thing while Karen Chen bombed and killed any intrigue left for day 3. I am still baffled that Bell was not chosen. I think she is mentally tough and could've placed third. 3) Yuma was awesome and Mark pretty much sealed the deal for his team. 4) Russians not doing any substitutions for day 3 was the biggest surprise for me.

Welcome to Golldenskate. Post long and post often!

Yuma was indeed awesome.🔥

NAOTMAA

Medalist
There was always the strong possibility that the U.S. ladies would finish behind Wakaba and Gubanova. Many in fact were acting like it was set in stone like Russia winning was. It was a coin toss that unfortunately didn't go the U.S.'s way. The only surprise was how well Schizas performed but she pretty much went all out. So really Karen only did one spot worse then expected even though her performance wasn't all that good.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There was always the strong possibility that the U.S. ladies would finish behind Wakaba and Gubanova. Many in fact were acting like it was set in stone like Russia winning was. It was a coin toss that unfortunately didn't go the U.S.'s way. The only surprise was how well Schizas performed but she pretty much went all out. So really Karen only did one spot worse then expected even though her performance wasn't all that good.
but Schizas has been doing very well in the SP most of the times...a surprise to some... a clutch performance, yes... but her interview is clear : she was expecting to nail the SP as she has been nailing it time and after time again. Maybe it's time to give her some credit for what she can do well. She is not as strong in the LP but that could change too :) To my perception, she is better than Gubanova and Karen. Her jumps are better, smoother, and with more ease. She also performs really well. She is engaging and fun to watch. She has also improved her speed a lot. Maybe it's time she is seen as a contender at the same level of Gubanova and the USA ladies...

mrrice

Record Breaker
I may get flamed for this but, I find Vincent to be one of the most frustrating skaters I've seen in a long time. I don't expect him to be perfect but, I have a problem with his flippant responses when he's questioned about his mistakes. He has the ability to score well and when he doesn't, he's like, oh well. Give me Jason any day over Vincent. Ok, rant over.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
I still do not quite like the fact that our team wins not so much due to its undoubted achievements, but thanks to the obvious failures of competitors. So, Karen Chen could perform better, becoming, for example, the third, and Nathan could be left in FS and not have been replaced by Vincent.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Good question. I know Mirai had hers planned and without tuk being there, I don't know if any other ladies had a triple Axel planned.