2022 Grand Prix de France: Info and Pre-game Chat | Golden Skate

2022 Grand Prix de France: Info and Pre-game Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2022 Grand Prix de France is the third event of the 2022-23 Grand Prix series and is scheduled to take place Nov. 4-6, 2022, in Angers, France, at the Angers IceParc. The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series consists of six international senior invitational events and culminates with the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in December in Torino, Italy.
The Skaters are selected and invited to the six Grand Prix of Figure Skating events based on the results of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022. Skaters/Couples who have placed 1 to 6 in each of the four categories are seeded and assigned to two events. Skaters/ Couples who have placed 7-12 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, and Skaters with a top 24 Seasonal Best Scores (from the 2021/22 season) as well as those placed in the top 24 of the ISU World Standings can also be invited. If available, medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships can also be selected.

In order for a Skater/Couple to be eligible to compete at an ISU Grand Prix event, a minimum total score must have been achieved in the 2021/22 or current 2022/23 season at an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, Championships) or a Challenger Series event. Exceptions apply to host country Skaters, previously ranked Skaters or split ranked Couples who return with new partners. The minimum total score is 3/5 of highest score per discipline at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022 and are as follows: Women: 141.65, Men: 187.49, Pairs: 132.65, Ice Dance: 137.89

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have tried DailyMotion vids on my laptop sans VPN and they look very good for 720p. Does anyone know if they are doing this event? There are about 2 ads per skater but I have found my wireless mouse has enough range so I can sit on my sofa and X out of the ads well, using a clipboard for the mouse. I wonder how long the skates are archived? Not gonna use Peacock for SkateFrance. It blurrs when lots of people are using my internet provider then buffers at times....then there is the time shift.

yesterday

Record Breaker
I have tried DailyMotion vids on my laptop sans VPN and they look very good for 720p. Does anyone know if they are doing this event? There are about 2 ads per skater but I have found my wireless mouse has enough range so I can sit on my sofa and X out of the ads well, using a clipboard for the mouse. I wonder how long the skates are archived? Not gonna use Peacock for SkateFrance. It blurrs when lots of people are using my internet provider then buffers at times....then there is the time shift.
FFSG usually streams on vimeo these days (https://vimeo.com/user123243450)
But I think as the GP is an ISU competition, they won't do an extra stream here.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think men's field is quite open. We know men are men, but is this the most equal group of them of this GP season? In women Leona is the favorite, but also she must be clean. Young Japanese can surprise. Falls will be very costly in this competition- and pairs, you never know what happens. This competition maybe does not have the biggest scores holders overall, but for sure this will be exiting.

Was Dailymotion Youtube or Vimeo, if they broadcast this? I also could watch it without VPN, but did not chance during Skate Canada because I noticed it so late. I am asking because I can watch YouTube direct through our TV without extra connection cords from computer.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Y'all are going to have to get me hyped up for this one.

What are you looking forward to the most?
Stellato/Deschamps continuing to slay in the pairs event. I saw them live at Skate America, they were fabulous!

And the dance event should be a delight, with Guignard/Fabbri, FB/Sorensen, and the young French team (loved their messy but wonderful FD at SA!) Many folks also enjoy the top French team, and the elegant Finns.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Link to the rewatch thread for Grand Prix of France

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I am very much looking forward to seeing the pairs team Deanna Stellato-Dudek-Maxime Deschamps. I love both their SP and FS. Also looking forward to the ID competition, foremost the Italian couple but there are quite a few others I wish to see.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Why no US men?
I guess skate canada is nicer when inviting American skaters... even giving them host spots... France is encouraging local talent.. good for them ! Also, France invited 1 women, 2 dance teams and 1 pairs form the usa... usa had only one ice dance French team... just saying....

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
And as GP France rolls in this week, a wave of nostalgia hit me about Grenoble. Three competitions there (2018, 2019 and 2021), a lot of folks met, sunflowers for Vincent FD, flower crowns, cards, water puddles, lining up, quick coffee breaks, flags waving...
Not this year though for me, but I hope to maybe get back one season :)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
And as GP France rolls in this week, a wave of nostalgia hit me about Grenoble. Three competitions there (2018, 2019 and 2021), a lot of folks met, sunflowers for Vincent FD, flower crowns, cards, water puddles, lining up, quick coffee breaks, flags waving...
These are lovely reasons to remember the French Grand Prix. I’ll add another—the beautiful Lalique glass pieces that were awarded to the winners, back in the day.

I have high hopes that John Wilson, title sponsor of the Sheffield event, will do something similar, maybe involving gold-plated, or beautifully engraved, blades.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess skate canada is nicer when inviting American skaters... even giving them host spots... France is encouraging local talent.. good for them !
Local talent? Maybe 3 French men and a Swiss man, but otherwise 3 Japanese, a Korean, a Georgian, an Estonian, a Ukrainian and of course a Canadian.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Local talent? Maybe 3 French men and a Swiss man, but otherwise 3 Japanese, a Korean, a Georgian, an Estonian, a Ukrainian and of course a Canadian.
Seeds need to go...host spots and then, it is easier to fly in Europeans... and why expect American skaters everywhere, especially since skam did not invite any French skaters...and in a year where the entire USA Olympic team for men is on hiatus/retired..?

ETA : in any case, whom would you send? Liam of Dinh? Anyone else? Ilia, Camden and Tomoki have their events already. The Japanese, Korean, Georgian and Estonian skaters are much more interesting choices and everyone loves Shmuratko from his engaged performances at recent Worlds. The harsh truth is that there wasn't any American skater available who might have been more appealing. Maxim Naumov is one of my favourite US skaters but I could understand why he is not getting GPs as he was injured... and SKAM could have given him a host spot if they wanted him to compete so badly...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and birds too one year iirc ?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Y'all are going to have to get me hyped up for this one.

What are you looking forward to the most?
The ladies! Four years ago, there was the most marvelous French GP with 3 of my fav all time performances.....I took out the commericals and have it on the dining room/kitchen DVR so I can watch my favs doing dishes.....When I am promoted to Skating God, I will make them all well and have a gala with all of them doing perfect performances to their music.....Marin makes me happy, Mai makes me cry, Rika is just wonderful. A Beautiful storm.
a french 1.jpg
"The Mission"
a french 2.jpg

a french 3.jpg