2022 Russian Nationals: Ice Dance Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2022 Russian Nationals: Ice Dance Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

So sad for Sinitsina and Katsalapov. Zagorski and Guerreiro as well. But thrilled for Davis and Smolkin!! Great job in their debut!

What are your thoughts on the Ice Dance event?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
It fascinates me that Davis & Smolkin are scored so generously while Morozov & Bagin, who are similarly well connected and, I would suggest, of comparable ability and level of development, are scored more or less accurately. Why do we think M/B do not receive a similar bonus?

This is not to suggest that either team should be scored more generously than any of the other youngish Russian senior teams who also have similar ability.

PS. There is an error in the linked article, Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva skates with Egor Bazin, not Nikita Nazarov.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
It fascinates me that Davis & Smolkin are scored so generously while Morozov & Bagin, who are similarly well connected and, I would suggest, of comparable ability and level of development, are scored more or less accurately. Why do we think M/B do not receive a similar bonus?

This is not to suggest that either team should be scored more generously than any of the other youngish Russian senior teams who also have similar ability.

PS. There is an error in the linked article, Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva skates with Egor Bazin, not Nikita Nazarov.
No Morozov/bagin are also super overscored. Morozov and Davis are by far the weakest skaters in the Russian Ice dancing among all the senior teams with international assignments this year. Arina Ushakova is a better skater even along with of course Kaganovskaia and Khavronina.

However you’re right that they don’t get the same bonus as D/S but that is because Tutberidze has a a lot more influence than Morozov right now.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
What do we think the odds of SinKats even being healthy enough to be assigned to the Olympics are? If they aren't in good shape/don't go, I feel like that changes the chances of Russia winning team gold.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my thoughts about the ice dance : sigh... then i thought... why didn't they stop after the RD : i had a perfect score for the prediction games.... :) in other words... MEH

pearly

Record Breaker

So sad for Sinitsina and Katsalapov. Zagorski and Guerreiro as well. But thrilled for Davis and Smolkin!! Great job in their debut!

What are your thoughts on the Ice Dance event?
What exactly are you thrilled for? The juniorish skating, the ridiculous scores or the nepotism that is getting an undeserving team to the Olympics? If they were actually any good or had superior talent, ok, launch their career. But this is offensive to our IQ.

I am thrilled Elizaveta and Egor spoke out about it. Won't do them much good, but someone needed to say it.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

What else can i say? Jobs done, GG EG. She won, we (fans of the sport) lost.

You can't hide the truth, and even the russian audience saw on the ice the couples that performed better than D/S and were underscored.

It's an unfortunate situation, there are athletes that work all their life for this, and have practiced for many years and are getting outclassed by one who switched to Ice Dance later, and is almost deaf which makes her not skating to the music most of the time and not skating as naturally, in a discipline where these qualities should be more valued, but she's getting the marks regardless as the daughter of.

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
It doesn't even matter when someone switched to ice dance or whether they have a disability. That is not the point. The best teams should medal and get selected. Diana Davis and Gleb Smolkin are not among the best teams right now. And compared to others, they do not look like they are the future of Russian ice dance. Speaking in terms of actual skating and other skills that should matter, of course.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It doesn't even matter when someone switched to ice dance or whether they have a disability. That is not the point. The best teams should medal and get selected. Diana Davis and Gleb Smolkin are not among the best teams right now. And compared to others, they do not look like they are the future of Russian ice dance. Speaking in terms of actual skating and other skills that should matter, of course.

well musicality and flow tho are big aspects of Ice Dance, it's not just that Diana Davis is not as talented, the disability clearly plays a role here.

They went to arguargbly the best russian coach in ice dance along with Marina Zueva but there is only so much you can improve when you have to deal with these big limitations.

On the other side you have some really bright prospects from Russia, it's not that Russia doesn't have talented couples, they have them but can't appreciate them properly. There are only 3 spots for Olympics and Worlds after all, and if all the spots are taken by the pushed athletes... (Sinitsyna/Katsalapov too have benefited by this flawed system)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Looked into this thread and wasn't disappointed at all. So predictable :rofl:

(Just one little hint: the picture of Eteri&Ted is two years old and has nothing to do with this championships, but everyone as the right to be fooled by whatever he wants ;) )

pearly

Record Breaker
well musicality and flow tho are big aspects of Ice Dance, it's not just that Diana Davis is not as talented, the disability clearly plays a role here.

They went to arguargbly the best russian coach in ice dance along with Marina Zueva but there is only so much you can improve when you have to deal with these big limitations.

On the other side you have some really bright prospects from Russia, it's not that Russia doesn't have talented couples, they have them but can't appreciate them properly. There are only 3 spots for Olympics and Worlds after all, and if all the spots are taken by the pushed athletes... (Sinitsyna/Katsalapov too have benefited by this flawed system)
I know, I just don't want anyone to turn this into a "how dare you mock the girl with a disability" thread when there are so many other things that should place them below the top three.

pearly

Record Breaker
Looked into this thread and wasn't disappointed at all. So predictable :rofl:

(Just one little hint: the picture of Eteri&Ted is two years old and has nothing to do with this championships, but everyone as the right to be fooled by whatever he wants ;) )
If you truly believe the results are fair and there is no push/deal that happened to have Diana go to the Olympics, I wish I could be that delusional sometimes. If you are aware they do not deserve their scores or placements this season, but are just a fan and happy to see your team place this high, Merry Christmas!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
If you truly believe the results are fair and there is no push/deal that happened to have Diana go to the Olympics, I wish I could be that delusional sometimes. If you are aware they do not deserve their scores or placements this season, but are just a fan and happy to see your team place this high, Merry Christmas!
I bet Eteri broke Nikita's back and infected Tiff with meningitis, right :biggrin:

Let's agree on this. We will spare this thread from my delusion and your hate, deal?

readernick

Medalist
As @dorispulaski mentioned in the competition thread, this type of nepotism will hurt Russian ice dance in the long run. D/S and M/B will get pushed as much as possible. But, the international judges may be somewhat corrupt but they aren't blind and they aren't going to be willing to put them in first place. So, Russia is using it's power in a way that will hurt it's own future in ice dance. S/ K have benefited a great deal from politics but at least in their case they could make the top 8/10 at WC even with fair scoring. This can't be said for D/S. This team never even won a JGP event and here they are 2 years later on the way to the Olympics. I'm not suggesting they are a bad team. But, with fair judging they would probably be 7/8th at Russian Nats and nowhere near the podium at international events. I know Russia wants to please Eteri, but it would be better for Russia and the sport if they got Diana the best coaches and programs money can buy and then give her time to develop into the type of ice dancer who deserves the scores she is already getting.

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
I bet Eteri broke Nikita's back and infected Tiff with meningitis, right :biggrin:

Let's agree on this. We will spare this thread from my delusion and your hate, deal?
Are people allowed to express their dissatisfaction with the results in wording you find more suitable or are we at all not allowed to question whether D/S were truly among the top three teams who finished the competition?