Tell us about your trip?

Would you like to arrange a meetup?

Anything is interesting!

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So excited to be going to Skate Canada! Although I've been a skating fan for a long time (and attended lots of shows), this will be my first live competition.
Congratulations on your first live competition! I have two pieces of advice for you:

1. Remember to breathe if things get nerve-wracking.
2. Be sure to put down your cell phone every once in a while and embrace the moment.

I'll be there too, my flight for Toronto is leaving tomorrow! If you see a woman wearing a bunny hat, it's probably me. I'll also have stickers for Shoma fans! 😁

ChristineB

On the Ice
Congratulations on your first live competition! I have two pieces of advice for you:

1. Remember to breathe if things get nerve-wracking.
2. Be sure to put down your cell phone every once in a while and embrace the moment.

I'll be there too, my flight for Toronto is leaving tomorrow! If you see a woman wearing a bunny hat, it's probably me. I'll also have stickers for Shoma fans! 😁
Thank you for the great advice! My flight to Toronto also leaves tomorrow! I will be sure to look out for you with those stickers, too!:giggle:

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Today is the tomorrow I mentioned earlier...and my flight got delayed to the point where it won't land until after midnight Toronto time. :dbana:

Oh well, at least I found out about the delay early enough to make lemonade out of lemons. 🍋😋 I checked out an aquarium near where was staying and got a cute plushie of a sea bunny! (Not gonna throw it on the ice, that's not allowed...) If you don't know what a sea bunny looks like, it looks like this!
Jorunna_parva%2C_Osezaki.jpg

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Be careful! You may get hooked like me and spend the next 20 years to life at competitions. Yuum and Arriba are very nice people and especially nice to sit with at Practices....
I only got hooked to the joys of attending live competitions about four years ago, but I too feel like this may be a lifelong thing... (Miss Arriba is far more knowledgeable than I)

I have just gotten to Toronto! Now to exchange my money and find my Airbnb...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I only got hooked to the joys of attending live competitions about four years ago, but I too feel like this may be a lifelong thing... (Miss Arriba is far more knowledgeable than I)

I have just gotten to Toronto! Now to exchange my money and find my Airbnb...
Glad you made it. {Please give an extra clap for my Asian Skaters......) The exchange rate is favorable for you!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm here! Just a short hop from Chicago O'Hare. We actually left 1 minute early, a miracle at O'Hare. I am pretty wiped out from Sk America still and plan to just regroup today. Haven't decided about practices yet. Will go to men's for sure on Thursday which starts at 2:45 according to the dreaded color coded sheet. Lots to look forward to there with Shoma, Kao, Deniss, Keegan, Camden, Matteo, and more.

Come on Chris, you know you wish you were here, surrounded by Shoma fans. Poor Chris!...Speaking of Shoma fans, I have little gifts for you so don't be shy about claiming them--a button, custom printed good luck M & Ms, and (most importantly) a small nail file to use after you bite your nails out of nervousness.

ChristineB

On the Ice
I'm here! Just a short hop from Chicago O'Hare. We actually left 1 minute early, a miracle at O'Hare. I am pretty wiped out from Sk America still and plan to just regroup today. Haven't decided about practices yet. Will go to men's for sure on Thursday which starts at 2:45 according to the dreaded color coded sheet. Lots to look forward to there with Shoma, Kao, Deniss, Keegan, Camden, Matteo, and more.

Come on Chris, you know you wish you were here, surrounded by Shoma fans. Poor Chris!...Speaking of Shoma fans, I have little gifts for you so don't be shy about claiming them--a button, custom printed good luck M & Ms, and (most importantly) a small nail file to use after you bite your nails out

Come on Chris, you know you wish you were here, surrounded by Shoma fans. Poor Chris!...Speaking of Shoma fans, I have little gifts for you so don't be shy about claiming them--a button, custom printed good luck M & Ms, and (most importantly) a small nail file to use after you bite your nails out of nervousness.
Finally got here and am at the hotel having dinner. A quick flight from NYC resulted in the usual mass delays. Definitely going to men's practice tomorrow.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
My first time watching live skating competition was in this venue, 2003 (Mastercard?) Skate Canada, last SCI of Yagudin and first of Joanie Rochette (and Mrs Chan), so many champions (Plushenko, Buttle, Arakawa, S/Z, N/K, D/S x2, D/L etc), no wonder I got hooked and have never missed any SCI and Nationals host here since (of course not always full event but at least 2 sections).
This round will mark my 19th anniversary! :popcorn:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

LOL! You know I like you all....here I am surrounded by Rika fans! Will miss you.... (it took a forum member of Japanese Ancestry five minutes to try and get me to say sa·yo·na·ra properly so I could say goodbye to the wonderful lady to my right after 5 days together)

a surrounded.JPG

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

take care of Shoma and of my son for me... if you don't know how he looks like, i put a picture of him in my avatar.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
i know... somehow, I felt i couldn't get away from work but I wouldn't have missed much... I don't know what i was thinking... but i will make it up in 2023-24 ;)
Work is a four letter word that ends in "K". Work is the curse of the skating class. I am at an age where I have learned that when you cross the rainbow bridge, no one ever thinks,
"Boy, if I could have just sent ONE more email to my work mates" They think. " Boy, why the heck didnt I go see MK win nats in Portland 2005? I was retired! It was a short distance away! :bang::bang::bang::bang:
Tell people you love that you love them.
Do what you know will mean alot to you NOW if you can.....that first step up the rainbow bridge is closer than you think...no regrets.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The men were looking a little ragged today at practice. As always though, very entertaining. I'm impressed with Kao's jumps and will be interested to see if he can make the podium. Does Deniss get taller each time I see him?! Must be a result of all his cooking. Very sorry Boyang had to drop out. Short programs tomorrow. They make me so nervous.

Was happy to get a good shot of my favorite.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Work is a four letter word that ends in "K". Work is the curse of the skating class. I am at an age where I have learned that when you cross the rainbow bridge, no one ever thinks,
"Boy, if I could have just sent ONE more email to my work mates" They think. " Boy, why the heck didnt I go see MK win nats in Portland 2005? I was retired! It was a short distance away! :bang::bang::bang::bang:
Tell people you love that you love them.
Do what you know will mean alot to you NOW if you can.....that first step up the rainbow bridge is closer than you think...no regrets.
i hear you... but my work is my passion ;) so it's not really work ;) i just do what i love and get paid for it ;)

I guess I simplified my post above a bit too much :) I am preparing a bunch of young musicians right now but I am more or less done for the week... a few hours only tomorrow and i guess i could have managed with a very last minute flight to Toronto and manage to do most of my mentoring..... etc etc

figure skating is a passion but a lower ranked one... of course, it doesn't look like it considering how busy i am on this board LOL

PS I did take the needed time to see Patrick's 2017 Nationals including the beautiful new 4salchow of his... and i do not regret it...

i had also managed to free up most of the worlds 2020 week.. and was attending pretty much the whole event except for women's short...IIRC

BUT... covid killed that

Last edited: