2022 Worlds: FD - Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2022 Worlds: FD - Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Very good performances from so many teams!

Guignard and Fabbri are stumped at what to do now:
“We’ll try to find another special program,” he said of their free dance for next season. “When you build a special program this year, it will be hard the year after to find a strong program, so we will work on the music selection immediately. We always want to show something new in our program.”

What are your thoughts on the FD event overall?

I personally find Chock and Bates' routine to look exceedingly difficult. Very well done!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm happy for Hawayek/Baker with their 8th place finish, but wish they were scored higher - their performance was so mesmerizing. I love Fear and Gibson and they had their best Lion King of the season, but their skating skills are not on par with H/B.

Zorro was not as good here as at the Olympics but it was fun to see it one more time. Will S/D stick around next season now that Spain will have 2 spots for the WC?

The top 5 came out as predicted (so yay, I got a shared gold medal in the predictions contest). Congrats to P/C, H/D and C/B for excellent performances for the podium. And congrats to Madi/Zach on their last competition, going out on a high note as they wanted to.

treeloving

Medalist
I don't know which adjective could be used to describe P/C dance. Every thing they did was beyond word. The best skaters in any category for me. Only small beef I have with their FD is one seems to embody enlightenment and another romanticism (sometime I almost think they try to present 2 sides of modernism rather than whatever they are intended to do). For this particular choreography I prefer Papadakis interpretation more than Guillaume though.

Allikat

On the Ice
Country
United-States
For me, the entire top two flights were incredible! One wonders why some of them don't receive higher scores though--especially H/B. I can honestly say that Ice Dance in particular is the one division in which I LEAST missed the Russian skaters I love so much--S/K and S/B--and that is because the competitive level was very high!

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Chock and Bates had a very difficult, technically almost perfect program. What I think kind of did them in was the music and the theme. It wasn't too user friendly. I love watching them skate but this was not one of my favorite programs. I generally find them more pleasing to watch than Hubbell and Donahue.

Aklaus

Rinkside
I kept my fingers crossed for H/D and was very pleasaed when I saw their scores.
Ok, P/C are in their own skating world, may be one of the best ice dance couples ever. But I appreciate H/D for their special style, which I consider very ripe/ unique with an extraordonary connection to each other (may be as an result of their private story). H/D invested this year in new elements, their spin has become better and they made the lift to their trademark. And it payed off. Finishing with the olympic medal and the third silver medal at worls is a big accomplishment the two can be very proud of.

I was never a fan of Chock and Bates. IMO they don*t have the elegance due to the big height difference. But of course the try to egalize that by special theme routines which is entertaining. At the very end their skating skills are not at the same level as H/Ds. But respect for coming back with the bronze after a 6 years break.

I couldnt agree more with the comments regarding H/B. Their FD was very beautiful and . besides of P/C and H/D - one ote highlights there in Montpellier. I hope they are going to continue- But it will be a hard way with C/B stayinn in and Green/ Parsons coming. I am afraid it depends on the politics woithin the USFA. Starting as the only 3rd ranked couple of the US makes it very difficult.

I am sad for G/P. Last year should have been their breaktrough, but it wasn*t. I loved most of their programs but the judges don*t think so.
I would understand if G/P are going to leave.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zorro was not as good here as at the Olympics but it was fun to see it one more time. Will S/D stick around next season now that Spain will have 2 spots for the WC?

Adrian Diaz is getting married and may want to retire.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Charlène and Marco were 4th! So happy for them, what a fabulous season they've had! The tech box scared me for a couple of minutes when their curve lift appeared to have scored 0, but it turned out alright in the end. Can't wait to see what they have in store for next season, and hope to see them higher than 4th this time next year.

Loved the 3 teams on the podium here, great performances all round. 5th World title at home for P/C was wonderful. I've always liked H/D and am pleased they got their fairytale ending at the Olys and at Worlds. I'm a recent C/B convert, and it was great to finally see them back on the Worlds podium! Looking forward to seeing them again next season, and to see what uniqueness they create next.

Not sure what happened to G/P here and their scores here; their marks have been up and down all season and they really seemed to lose momentum after the team event RD at the Olympics. They seemed happy with their performance, even if not with the scores, so if they are retiring (I think I read that they wanted to take time off to do shows/less competitive skating?) I hope they're pleased with their goodbye performance.

I know that as a fellow Brit I'm probably supposed to root for Lilah and Lewis, but I don't particularly enjoy their skating, sorry F/G fans, and fellow Brits! Personally, I don't think their FD should have scored above H/B (who had a beautiful performance), it may be fun, but the lack of skating skills, edge quality and in-hold skating still bothers me.

Mistakes from S/D (who also IMO should've been behind H/B in the FD) but they've have had a great season to be proud of and FB/S, who I think were also hurt by copy-pasting their FD choreo on to new music without making many changes, although their lifts are awesome!

Further down the field, I really enjoyed K/R's creepy horror-themed FD, all those intricate transitional lifts are great when they work, as they did here. I also liked T/V from Finland, I love their long, elegant lines, and was pleased to hear they're sticking around until 2026!

Overall, this was an enjoyable ice dance event. One hope I have for next season is to see more variation in the coaching situation; although I.AM is clearly a very supportive environment, and they do a pretty decent job of giving each team individual packaging, 12/19 teams in the FD (with 8/10 of the top 10) is a bit of a monopoly, and it would be nice to see other coaches/styles getting more of a look in.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The biggest take away from this event was how far ahead the French Team was from the rest of the field. They're in a totally different class than every other team. Bravo!!!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I'm disappointed for Piper and Paul. Given they did make a mistake in their Olympic program, this was much more at a higher level. I don't think the judges liked their music arrangement even if it's a classic Beatle's song. Perhaps using the original version of the Beatles would be a better plan. I wasn't thrilled with the space age music of Chock and Bates, but then I'm not a judge.

discodisco

On the Ice
What I think kind of did them in was the music and the theme. It wasn't too user friendly.
Funny, I felt the opposite. Their skating skills aren't in the same league as the other top teams, so they needed something unique, and I think the Montreal team did a fantastic job with them this year. They did everything they could to make them stand out for the right reasons (contrasted to, eg, what Carol Lane did in making Piper and Paul stand out in the RD for all the WRONG reasons), chose choreography that emphasized their strengths, and really couldn't have done anything better. I didn't think they were as good at Worlds as in previous competitions, though. Still, although I don't love them as a team, I have to commend their 'handlers' for getting their packaging pretty near perfect.

Honestly, what would ice dance be without the Montreal crew?

discodisco

On the Ice
Ok, P/C are in their own skating world, may be one of the best ice dance couples ever.
Totally agree in terms of PCS. Guillaume is just about flawless as a male ice dancer. The one thing I think, though, is that they do lack the range of some of the others in the category for 'Best Ice Dancers Ever'. Skills-wise? They might be. But influence-wise? Breadth-wise? Memorableness-wise (I know that's not a word...)? I don't think so.

For example, look at the range of, eg, Davis and White, or Virtue and Moir. Voir could do passion (flamenco/tango/Moulin), fury (Carmen), the introverted 'soul-searching' style of (eg) Brahms and Umbrellas, sexy (Prince, etc.), and also humorous and light-hearted. Davis and White could do classical, Bollywood, Phantom, and more (they're not my favourites, but give them credit). Other 'greats' are similar.

What I'm missing is some of the fun ice dance styles of the 90's (as much as I pretty much hated ice dance then...) - more quicksteps and foxtrots, Riverdance (okay, didn't like it - but it was upbeat and fun), jive, samba, etc. Like the Rio free dance this year - we need more to that. But that's an aside...

Anyhoo, while I agree that PC are absolutely mint, and you probably can't find better dancers (him especially), I don't know if they'll have the longtime appeal of (eg) VM b/c while almost all of their programs are incredible, they don't really have one program that grabs you, know what I mean? You sit back and are treated to a masterclass in edgework and posture, etc., but it's not the raw, 'edgy', soul-stirring stuff of (eg) Moulin Rouge or Prince.

I hope that makes sense!

discodisco

On the Ice
Charlène and Marco were 4th! So happy for them, what a fabulous season they've had! The tech box scared me for a couple of minutes when their curve lift appeared to have scored 0, but it turned out alright in the end. Can't wait to see what they have in store for next season, and hope to see them higher than 4th this time next year.

Loved the 3 teams on the podium here, great performances all round. 5th World title at home for P/C was wonderful. I've always liked H/D and am pleased they got their fairytale ending at the Olys and at Worlds. I'm a recent C/B convert, and it was great to finally see them back on the Worlds podium! Looking forward to seeing them again next season, and to see what uniqueness they create next.

Not sure what happened to G/P here and their scores here; their marks have been up and down all season and they really seemed to lose momentum after the team event RD at the Olympics. They seemed happy with their performance, even if not with the scores, so if they are retiring (I think I read that they wanted to take time off to do shows/less competitive skating?) I hope they're pleased with their goodbye performance.

I know that as a fellow Brit I'm probably supposed to root for Lilah and Lewis, but I don't particularly enjoy their skating, sorry F/G fans, and fellow Brits! Personally, I don't think their FD should have scored above H/B (who had a beautiful performance), it may be fun, but the lack of skating skills, edge quality and in-hold skating still bothers me.

Mistakes from S/D (who also IMO should've been behind H/B in the FD) but they've have had a great season to be proud of and FB/S, who I think were also hurt by copy-pasting their FD choreo on to new music without making many changes, although their lifts are awesome!

Further down the field, I really enjoyed K/R's creepy horror-themed FD, all those intricate transitional lifts are great when they work, as they did here. I also liked T/V from Finland, I love their long, elegant lines, and was pleased to hear they're sticking around until 2026!

Overall, this was an enjoyable ice dance event. One hope I have for next season is to see more variation in the coaching situation; although I.AM is clearly a very supportive environment, and they do a pretty decent job of giving each team individual packaging, 12/19 teams in the FD (with 8/10 of the top 10) is a bit of a monopoly, and it would be nice to see other coaches/styles getting more of a look in.
Is it really that many? Yikes... But if it ain't broke... I always wondered what IAM could do with Piper and Paul. They are kind of like Bourne and Kratz - always on the edge, but never quite there. It took Bourne and Kratz kind of giving in and going over-the-top dramatic Russian-style before they finally won their world title.

discodisco

On the Ice
I'm disappointed for Piper and Paul. Given they did make a mistake in their Olympic program, this was much more at a higher level. I don't think the judges liked their music arrangement even if it's a classic Beatle's song. Perhaps using the original version of the Beatles would be a better plan. I wasn't thrilled with the space age music of Chock and Bates, but then I'm not a judge.
The problem is with the song itself. I think they got stuck on the lyrics - how fitting they were, blah blah blah. But if you anaylize the song, it is not strong musically. It doesn't have a lot of variation, it doesn't really build, no ebbs and flows, weak introduction (just a few simple chords, then into a verse-chorus structure that isn't very imaginative. It's always sounded unfinished to me. When I heard they were using it, I immediately listened to the Beattles version, and was like: what about this song screams medal-worthy Olympic free-dance?! It was so bland, not enough 'light and shade', etc. It was all wrong from the beginning.

The packaging was wrong, wrong, wrong for them this season. Too bad, b/c Vincent was a masterpiece.