2023 FISU World University Games | Golden Skate

2023 FISU World University Games

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 FISU World University Games will take place Jan 11-15, 2023, in Lake Placid, New York, at the Olympic Center. This collegiate international event will feature the singles discipline (Women and Men) and Ice Dance disciplines at the senior level.
Eligibility

Only the following may participate in the Figure Skating Competition at the Lake Placid 2023 FISU World University Games (cf. FISU Games 2023 General Regulations Art 5.2.1 and Art 5.2.2):
  1. students who are currently officially registered as proceeding towards a degree or diploma at the university or similar institute, the status of which is recognized by the appropriate national academic authority of their country;
  2. former students of the institutions mentioned in a) who have obtained their academic degree or diploma in the calendar year preceding the event;
Nationality and Age Restriction

All athletes must satisfy the following conditions (cf. FISU Games 2023 General Regulations Art. 5.2.4):
  1. be a national of the country they represent (with exception in the Ice Dance event, ISU Rule 109 paragraph 3 applies);
  2. be at least 18 and no older than 25 years of age on 31 December of the year of the event (FISU Games 2023: the athletes must be born between 1 January 1997 and 31 December 2005).
The competition will be conducted in accordance with the 2022 ISU Constitution and General Regulations, the 2022 Special Regulations and Technical Rules for Single Skating, as well as all relevant ISU Communications.

Feel free to add skater(s) with a link to the official source. Social media is not considered an "official" source unless it comes directly from the respective skating federation.

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Didn't Mai Mihara win last time (in 2019)? This competition can bring some fireworks with Yuma and Kaori as well!
Yes, Mai won with a score of 220 in 2019.

And, in my research for finding that information, I discovered that Yuma's father Masakazu won bronze at the 1993 Universiade. So, his son will be competing at the same event 30 years later, how cool is that?!?

yesterday

Record Breaker
And, in my research for finding that information, I discovered that Yuma's father Masakazu won bronze at the 1993 Universiade. So, his son will be competing at the same event 30 years later, how cool is that?!?
Yes, super!

A bit OT, but these things happen in sport more often than you think as the elite sporting families pass that on to the kids quite often (sports in general, not only FS). But - and that's the "next step" - it is also possible in certains sports that parent and (then adult) child compete in the same tournament 😁

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey all!

Thanks so much for providing entries!! It's very much appreciated.

If you would provide an official link to the source, that would be great (Twitter is NOT an official source unless it's by the skating federation)

For instance, here's the link for Japan's announcement

yesterday

Record Breaker
Here's who Austria is currently planning to send:

Dorotea Leitgeb (W)
Emily Saari (W)
Sophia Schaller (W)
Luc Maierhofer (M)
Anton Skoficz (M)
Corinna / Patrik Huber (ID)

So, after Nationals SkateAustria confirmed the spots for
Emily Saari (W) and
Luc Maierhofer (M)
https://skateaustria.at/news/oesterr-meisterschaften-2022-23-die-ergebnisse

I had hoped for this as it's super convenient for Emily as she lives in the States and would not be sent to Euros despite her title.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Finland's federation has not confirmed this, but I looked for This site and found these names:

Taitoluistelu (=Figure skating)

Nella Pelkonen, 2005, Jyväskylän avoin yliopisto, Tampereen urheiluakatemia, Koovee
Makar Suntsev, 2004, Itä-Suomen avoin yliopisto, Etelä-Kymenlaakson urheiluakatemia, Kotkan Taitoluistelu

I write more about my thoughts to Nordic skating thread.