2023 JGP Budapest Pairs Free Skate | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2023 JGP Budapest Pairs Free Skate

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
These two are pretty guaranteed a medal at the Europeans and a gold in junior worlds (depending what will happen with the Russian skaters ofc) if they continue skating like this.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
okay now off to get some food...see you for men free

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
As a Queen fan, I absolutely loved that!!! :rock:

When doing a Queen programme, everybody seems to go for the same massive hit songs. Which is understandable - they are very popular.

But it is so good to see somebody going for one of their lesser known songs.

"They Are The Champions". Oh, Ted. Did you have to?! šŸ˜¬

They win by a massive margin in both the FS and overall.

And deservedly so!

CaroLiza_fan

NaVi

Medalist
A clip of the Ukrainians refusing the greet the Georgians has gone a bit viral and made the news in Ukraine.

I fully understand where they're coming from... but sorry, that's still bush league nonsense. If you don't want to greet, then tell them beforehand or tell someone running the event so that they can tell them.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
A clip of the Ukrainians refusing the greet the Georgians has gone a bit viral and made the news in Ukraine.

I fully understand where they're coming from... but sorry, that's still bush league nonsense. If you don't want to great, then tell them beforehand or tell someone running the event so that they can tell them.

It is at around the 4:39:50 mark

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker

I fully understand where they're coming from... but sorry, that's still bush league nonsense. If you don't want to greet, then tell them beforehand or tell someone running the event so that they can tell them.
It's an awkward situation for all involved, but Anastasia and Luka are also both grown adults and certainly not unaware of Ukrainian athletes across all types of sports refusing to hug or shake hands with Russian-born athletes who are still living and training in Russia (regardless of which country they represent now) and could have taken the opportunity to ask about hugs before the ceremony as well if they wanted to avoid this. The Ukrainians were very polite, if firm, about their refusal, neither pair involved in the situation here made a scene, so I don't see why we have to do it for them.

Regardless of the situation here, other athletes have refused hugs for non-political reasons too, and while it is always a bit awkward, it is generally not that big of a deal, and maybe it would be principally better in all situations for people to ask beforehand if hugging is okay so that these somewhat awkward situations can be avoided - at least on camera.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's an awkward situation for all involved, but Anastasia and Luka are also both grown adults and certainly not unaware of Ukrainian athletes across all types of sports refusing to hug or shake hands with Russian-born athletes who are still living and training in Russia (regardless of which country they represent now) and could have taken the opportunity to ask about hugs before the ceremony as well if they wanted to avoid this. The Ukrainians were very polite, if firm, about their refusal, neither pair involved in the situation here made a scene, so I don't see why we have to do it for them.

Regardless of the situation here, other athletes have refused hugs for non-political reasons too, and while it is always a bit awkward, it is generally not that big of a deal, and maybe it would be principally better in all situations for people to ask beforehand if hugging is okay so that these somewhat awkward situations can be avoided - at least on camera.

I agree that it is awkward. I also agree it's not the end of the world.

But I strongly disagree that the burden should be placed on the athletes who might suspect they are not to be treated in a fashion that is the longstanding norm.

If the Ukrainians don't want to shake hands, then the burden is on them to inform their competitors.

And, by the way, the video clearly shows the Ukrainian woman reaching up to offer a congratulatory hug to the Georgian woman before the man stopped her. Which opens up a whole new can of worms.

icewhite

Record Breaker
How can we talk about this subject without getting political? I don't think it's possible to discuss this here.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
And, by the way, the video clearly shows the Ukrainian woman reaching up to offer a congratulatory hug to the Georgian woman before the man stopped her. Which opens up a whole new can of worms.
I don't know what you're seeing because Ivan is clearly looking in the other direction, and Violetta doesn't even raise her arms. The Ukrainians are the ones already on the podium, the girl aborting the hug is the Georgian. And she doesn't abort it because her partner told her to, but because Violetta is clearly not interested in hugging her.

But I strongly disagree that the burden should be placed on the athletes who might suspect they are not to be treated in a fashion that is the longstanding norm.
It should always be the burden of the one offering the hug to make sure the other person wants to be hugged, regardless of the situation. Also, hugs are not as common as you seem to be under the impression they are. All three junior podiums Sierova/Khobta were on last season happened without a single hug, so they very well could have been under the impression that this is not something commonly done in junior pairs. Most (if not all) of the podiums from the JGP, JGPF and Jr Worlds didn't involve any hugging last season after all.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know what you're seeing because Ivan is clearly looking in the other direction, and Violetta doesn't even raise her arms. The Ukrainians are the ones already on the podium, the girl aborting the lift is the Georgian. And she doesn't abort it because her partner told her to, but because Violetta is clearly not interested in hugging her.
My apologies... I had the nationalities of the participants confused. You are correct, in that it was the Georgian girl who offered the hug and was rejected.

NaVi

Medalist
It should always be the burden of the one offering the hug to make sure the other person wants to be hugged, regardless of the situation.
It's the burden the party who wants to break the norm to inform that they want to break the norm... or else it's impossible to have norms. And greeting at the award ceremony is the norm.

But it's important not to make too much of this. Tarasova response to this shows how she's become such a sad crank lately.

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
It should be the burden of the one breaking the norm to inform that they want to break the norm... or else it's impossible to have norms.
It should be the norm to ask anyone, especially strangers, before you hug or touch them. Consent is very important.

Apart from that, I clearly explained that hugging has not been the norm during medal ceremonies at Junior level pairs competitions in the whole last season. So the one deviating from the standing norm was actually the person offering the hug.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What I find weird in all of this is that the Ukrainians passed behind the Canadians and didn't offer a handshake before climbing on the podium themselves. Marly looked awkard with it and then, we see Charly offering his hand which was shaken by the Ukrainians. Of course, by then, the camera is on the Georgians so we don't see the full exchange. Awkward smiles and moments for sure.

By now, it's been months that many Ukrainian athletes do not shake hands with Russians. I don't see any point expanding on this.

PS. I hate hugs. It's not for everyone. Call me French but I prefer kisses on the cheeks.

ETA : I rarely watch medal ceremonies. @Jumping_Bean mentions hugs were not given last year, that may explain a few more things.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's the burden the party who wants to break the norm to inform that they want to break the norm... or else it's impossible to have norms. And greeting at the award ceremony is the norm.

But it's important not to make too much of this. Tarasova response to this shows how she's become such a sad crank lately.
Lately? It's been years really.