2023 Skate America: Men's Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America: Men's Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What are your thoughts on the placements? Any surprises for you? Who do you think has improved the most and in what way?

The interesting “tiger” costume for Litvintsev's short program garnered much attention from the skating fans.

“It was not my idea, but we did it on purpose and now everybody is talking about it,” he laughed.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am over the moon for Kévin Aymoz:clap::hap10::yahoo:

He had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand by the end of that Free Skate.

I am surprised that I could ever tolerate, let alone like, a skater doing "real" Bolero after T&D. But I am coming under the spell of Kévin's Bolero. Red gloves and all. :)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am surprised that I could ever tolerate, let alone like, a skater doing "real" Bolero after T&D. But I am coming under the spell of Kévin's Bolero. Red gloves and all. :)

Same! I really enjoyed that and I think this is my favorite program that he's done. I'm looking forward to seeing this more as I'm sure he will continue to polish this gem throughout the season :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Considering I had seen a few of these men live at ACI, it was interesting to see them on the screen. Ilia looks better on the screen than in person. He skated better at SKAM however. I am not ready to call him artistic. Yes, I agree he is improving and everyone and your second cousin may be talking about him upping his artistic game, and that's true. But he was starting from very far and he is still average at best in that sense. Not a 8.75 PCS skater yet despite what the judges gave him. My opinion 7.75 -8.25 would be a more appropriate range for him. He would still win by a landslide and that scoring, instead of being against him would be more a way to recognize the talent of the other skaters like Aymoz for instance. Talking of which, Kévin's Boléro was even better at SKAM than at ACI. However, if you can see him in person, do it ! The way he moves across the ice is lost on the screen and it's very much part of what makes the program sensational. Some people mention that it's the only worthy Boléro since TD. I disagree. There is at least one other ones : Sholéro ! Kostner's wasn't bad either. Kévin's interpretation is true to the musical style of what a boléro is, so it works, perhaps even more in that sense than T/D's, By the way, I was never a fan of Kévin's until seeing him live at ACI :) I almost always like Japanese skaters as they usually combine big tricks and good basic skating skills. The trio sent to SKAM were younger but very promising skaters. Kudos to Linvitsev for his technical prowess but I really disliked his LP that starts XMas and ends with really bad unrelated to the theme song. What was that? The costume is also a bit disturbing (quite revealing). From a lion to a Xmas ornament... WOW. I was disappointed for Gogolev, Naumov (who I believe can be a very nice all around skater) and Torgashev. But hey, that's life. Congrats to the medalists.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really liked the Succession series, so was able to enjoy Malinin's program all the more :) It was a clever choice of music and I really liked his costume. He said he took some pointers from Aymoz :biggrin:
It was clear that his artistry has improved since last season.

“I looked at other skaters and their best performance like Nathan Chen and Yuzuru Hanyu,” he explained. “I picked up some moments from their programs and tried to put them into my own to see how it looks like. I aim to have more special awareness.”

Ilia also was able to learn from Kevin Aymoz as they were both in shows over the summer.

“He inspires me so much artistically,” said Malinin. “Through the time that we spent, the shows that we did together, it really inspired me to become better.”

viennaskater

Medalist
I remember liking Litvintsev several years ago. Makes we wonder why he's not been more in the mix. Fantastic performances from him.

Kevin was so incredible I had tears in my eyes! He put everything into those performances. Remember back in 2019 he came 3rd in the Grand Prix final.

All the Japanese were worth watching, as always.

The Georgian guy's SP was fantastic but he fluffed the LP, like he did at Nepela Memorial. And why oh why must he skate to that tired old warhorse Moulin Rouge??

Malinin is phenomenal, but, the way things are going, his scores are so off the scale that it could become just a competition between the rest of the field. He might just as well pick up his gold medal on arrival. OK I am joking a bit and the season is still young. We still have the likes of Shoma Uno, Kagiyama etc. Also, I loved Malinin's SP but the LP was something of a jumpfest and not a great deal else.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Malinin, Sato and Litvintzev had my fav programs. Torgashev and Naumov were both really good in practice but didn't deliver in competition but I really liked Torvashev. I was happy Aymoz didn't fell, because last time I saw him it was awful and I still have bad memories of it.

But Malinin was incredible. I am just annoyed that they browbeat him to save 4A as a gala trick. I think it's stupid. I really wanted to see it in competition. He flies off the ice and has oodles of cheeky personality. Also, seeing him watch both Torgashev and Naumov during the short made my day. They keep holding together, and the same happened during gala when they all hang together.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Kevin Aymoz was incredible. He made me so happy!

Congrats to Ilia on his consistency with all the quads and his improved artistry. He'll never be my favorite skater, but well done.

I must also show some love to Andrew! Rough SP with the jumps, but the program itself is :love2::love2::love2:. The step sequence is why I watch figure skating. Crisp, passionate, inventive, matching the music, good speed, it doesn't look like he's doing it for the points. I have to say, the SP 3A was one of the best I've seen from him - so confident. His SP reminded me of Challenge Cup where he missed the first two jumps and fought with all he had for the rest.

And in the LP he was so strong with his jumps. No quad but everything was so clean. Three beautiful axels. Not to mention I love how he does his Euler. And the program does have a nice build to it. Hopefully by Nationals he can deliver some more passion in his LP. Johnny Weir said his LP lacked a bit of energy, and yes it did. But, IMO, in Andrew's "lacking energy," he still gives more than 80% of skaters (don't come at me for the percentage; I just mean he gives more energy always than many of the skaters). Anyway, I am so proud of him for a clean LP (if you've watched him in the past, that's never a given with him) and coming back to skate so well and moving up all the way to 7th. This was a win for him, IMO.

Nationals for the 3rd US spot is going to be very interesting. As always. ;)

Last edited:

DancingCactus

Final Flight
I'm so over Bolero in any shape or form, but the last half of Kevin's program just slays. Although I admit with the costume I was expecting sympathy for the 😈 or something 😅

Ilia can do incredible things in the air (what was that barrel roll thingy???), but once his feet are on the ice he doesn't do anything for me. That SP must have been one of the least Latin-feeling skates I've ever seen....

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I am over the moon for Kévin Aymoz:clap::hap10::yahoo:

He had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand by the end of that Free Skate.

Kevin appeared to be in such a delightfully buoyant frame of mind all weekend. I happened to run into him the morning after his short (which was mesmerizing live) and congratulated him—he seemed to be positively glowing!

After the victory ceremony he made a point of interacting with fans along the boards. I also saw him on the plaza the morning after the long—which completely brought down the house—as he was happily chatting with a crowd of young admirers. And as the French dance team finished, I saw him in the seats at the very top of the arena, excitedly waving a big French flag.

And may I say, after all his struggles, all of this was especially lovely to see.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kevin appeared to be in such a delightfully buoyant frame of mind all weekend. I happened to run into him the morning after his short (which was mesmerizing live) and congratulated him—he seemed to be positively glowing!

After the victory ceremony he made a point of interacting with fans along the boards. I also saw him on the plaza the morning after the long—which completely brought down the house—as he was happily chatting with a crowd of young admirers. And as the French dance team finished, I saw him in the seats at the very top of the arena, excitedly waving a big French flag.

And may I say, after all his struggles, all of this was especially lovely to see.

This makes me so happy to hear, thank you for the in-person reports. Kévin has always worn his emotions on his sleeve, and to see those be happy emotions is gratifying.

At least he didn't depend on your kindness for a French flag this time, I presume ;). Also to see all the French flags and Pride flags in the audience after his skate. 🇫🇷🏳️‍🌈🇫🇷

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two long programs that go in my "pile." That's more than typical for a GP event.

Sadly, not a lot else to like. This event had other skaters that are among my favorites in general, but they disappointed for the most part. Although I will say I was pleased with Andrew's long performance after the first jumping pass.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Malinin, Sato and Litvintzev had my fav programs. Torgashev and Naumov were both really good in practice but didn't deliver in competition but I really liked Torvashev. I was happy Aymoz didn't fell, because last time I saw him it was awful and I still have bad memories of it.

But Malinin was incredible. I am just annoyed that they browbeat him to save 4A as a gala trick. I think it's stupid. I really wanted to see it in competition. He flies off the ice and has oodles of cheeky personality. Also, seeing him watch both Torgashev and Naumov during the short made my day. They keep holding together, and the same happened during gala when they all hang together.

I'm not sure that's the case at all. He's been pretty adamant that his intended focus will be improved components and clean programs, at least early in the season. He's left the door open for jumping upgrades as the season progresses.

If anything, I'm sure that the powers (especially NBC) WANTED him to do the 4A. At any rate, the NBC clips I saw brought it up every other breath, when even a token bit of research would have made it plain that he wasn't doing it here.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really liked the Succession series, so was able to enjoy Malinin's program all the more :) It was a clever choice of music and I really liked his costume. He said he took some pointers from Aymoz :biggrin:
I've never seen the series and have no idea what it's about, but the program held up fine anyway.

I didn't need the backstory to appreciate it, and those are the best kinds of programs.

Warwick360

Medalist
Did not even know Skate America had happened. Feels like the promotion was worse than ever. No videos on ISU. Not even clips, and not much social media presence; normally things would normally pop up. :eek::slink: