2023 Worlds: Info & Pregame Chat | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2023 Worlds: Info & Pregame Chat

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reading up on Japanese manners....wear bathroom slippers even if others use the same slippers...dont point with your fingers...dont blow your nose unless you are hiding it, and slurp your soup at the end of the bowl and dont stab your food with your chopsticks...
I am not gonna make it, am I? 😞
Oh no, I'm been pointing at things all the time in Japan and the locals have been too polite to say anything about it...😂 Japanese people don't always expect foreigners to understand their customs. And they will explain things as best as they can to foreigners if you do something incorrectly...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The people.I know who went in a tour group in 2019 had second row seats that were phenomenal! I would not want to go all the way to Japan only to find that I am in an oxygen mask level seat. I used the same tour company for Montpelier Worlds last year and was very pleased with them. I'm used to fending for myself when I go overseas, but one can get very spoiled, very fast when someone else is handling all the logistics! At least the next 2 years will be a little easier with Montreal and Boston.
What tour company did you use? Were they good? I might be lured to an event someplace other than US/Canada if I could just throw money at it by going with a tour group.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
dont blow your nose unless you are hiding it, and slurp your soup at the end of the bowl and dont stab your food with your chopsticks...
My mom was BIG on table manners, so soup-slurping isn't an issue for me. As for chopsticks, I just avoid them; have never been able to master the technique. :cry::slink:

OTOH nose-blowing is a whole other ballgame. With my allergies, I'm dead in the water! :oops:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My mom was BIG on table manners, so soup-slurping isn't an issue for me. As for chopsticks, I just avoid them; have never been able to master the technique. :cry::slink:

OTOH nose-blowing is a whole other ballgame. With my allergies, I'm dead in the water! :oops:
Soup slurping from the bowl is a sign of a compliment...so much to learn. Yes, you can carry a fork...so I wont starve to death....
These sweet kids tried to teach me how to use chop sticks...I lost 10 lbs. 😞

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This from goldsk8 in Japan....I thought this odd. Jackie Wong posted a pic....
Fans can post pics, no?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What tour company did you use? Were they good? I might be lured to an event someplace other than US/Canada if I could just throw money at it by going with a tour group.
Uniworld out of Toronto. I didn't know if I should say the name. They were terrific! I've gone overseas to Worlds by myself, but for Montpelier 2022, I was still pretty worried about Covid and wanted to be with a group in case I got sick. You arrange your own airfare (because they found many people want to use mileage club miles). They do all the rest, and I do mean everything. You feel VERY well taken care of. Do you pay for it? Of course. But if it means you feel that you're able to go (and maybe wouldn't otherwise), go for it. Our seats were amazing! If you have any questions and want to DM me, feel free to do so.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The men's FP will be happening on the morning of my wedding (It'll be morning where I am)! And it'll end right before hair and makeup.

This is freaky.

This afternoon, I watched the coverage I taped on Friday of the St. Patrick's Day parade in Dublin (when it was happening, I was busy watching the Senior B that was being held in Poland). At one stage, they zoomed in on a member of one of the American school marching bands that was taking part (I think this particular one was from Florida), and my instant thought was "she looks a lot like @cheerknithanson!"

And then tonight I come into this thread and see this post! What about that for a coincidence!

All the best for your wedding.

CaroLiza_fan

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This from goldsk8 in Japan....I thought this odd. Jackie Wong posted a pic....
Fans can post pics, no?

Nope, fans aren't allowed to take photos of skaters at skating events in Japan...I suspect only certain photographers are allowed to do this in order to sell photobooks and magazines with famous skaters in them (but please correct me if I'm wrong). Thankfully one can still make sketches of famous skaters, and I brought a small sketchbook with me for that purpose alone. This doesn't appear to apply to all sports; I was watching some live sumo wrestling yesterday and fans were taking pictures of the wrestlers there, so I did so too. Then again, I doubt there is a market for sumo photobooks in Japan...

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Per some practice reports, they skated okay. I didn't see Ilia Malinin name. Is that practice report an official practice? What happens if he doesn't go to an official practice?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wonder why we don't have the usual results page. This looks different and is different. It would be nice to see the skating order.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Per some practice reports, they skated okay. I didn't see Ilia Malinin name. Is that practice report an official practice? What happens if he doesn't go to an official practice?

There is a "practice chat" thread where you can discuss practices

But AFAIK, there is no such thing as "official" practice reports, just reports from journalists or others at the rink.