30 For 30:The Price Of Gold(i.e.Nancy&Tonya | Golden Skate

30 For 30:The Price Of Gold(i.e.Nancy&Tonya

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
EDIT: THIS EPISODE HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED. FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE NEW BROADCAST TIME, SEE THIS POST

Just wanted to let viewers in the UK and Ireland know that BT Sport will be showing the Tonya / Nancy episode of the ESPN documentary series “30 for 30” on Tuesday.

BT Sport

Tuesday 11[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2015
BTS1 21:00 – 22:30 BST “30 for 30: The Price Of Gold”

Unfortunately, the BT Sport channels DO NOT have time shift versions, and there is no sign of the programme being repeated in the near future. So, if you can’t watch it at the time of broadcast, make sure to remember to record it!

BT Sport 1 (i.e. Standard Definition) is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 408 on BT TV
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 530 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 409 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 427 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 65 (11.081V. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).​

BT Sport 1 HD is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 430 on BT TV
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 527 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 439 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 413 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 98 (11.957V. MBaud 23,000. FEC 8/9).​

NOTE: As of the start of August 2015, the full compliment of BT Sport channels are no longer free on Sky to BT Broadband subscribers. However, fortunately for us, BT Sport 1 is the sole channel that IS still included in the BT Broadband package.

For the comments from when it was first shown in America, see this thread.

Looking forward to seeing it!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited by a moderator:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This one was on the Australian ESPN channel a month or so ago. I have it recorded, have watched it, and can't help but think that Tonya is completely delusional.

Meanwhile, I am just watching Of Miracles and Men for the first time, and my heart has just shattered all over the lounge room floor. Too many people forget that there are always two sides. For one side it was a wonderful miracle, for the other, it was something else entirely.

Warwick360

Medalist
I thought this was a new documentary for a moment (and in that moment, I thought not another one).

Anyways, it's been on youtube for quite a while being uploaded by different uploaders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bCcgBVl8rk

I still find Tonya to be quite delusional. Especially in this one where she comes across as calling the shots on the direction of the documentary. https://youtu.be/m8IgpOXRz0w?t=18m31s

Also as if Midori would even be sparing a thought for Tonya when throwing her Axel at Albertville. Probably the last thing on her mind.

Warwick360

Medalist
Having said that I do feel sorry for her childhood. Her mother appeared like Miss Havisham incarnate, with a parrot attached.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee reminder to let you know that it is just 3 hours until the Tonya / Nancy episode of "30 for 30" starts on BT Sport 1.

For more details on how to view see the Original Post above.

I thought this was a new documentary for a moment (and in that moment, I thought not another one).

Anyways, it's been on youtube for quite a while being uploaded by different uploaders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bCcgBVl8rk

Aha! I just tried the link, and it is viewable in the UK! :cheer:

But, I would still prefer to watch it on TV! ;)

Yeah, I knew it was an old programme (from what I can tell, all the ESPN programmes that BT Sport show are a few years old). But this was the first time that I had spotted that this one was being shown over here. So, since I haven't seen it before, I figured I thought I should let other people know in case they wanted to watch it too.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just put on BT Sport 1 before I head out, and there's been changes to the schedule.

Set to record. The Jimmy Connors episode before it looks pretty interesting too.

Jimmy Connors isn't being shown. Instead, there is LIVE tennis on (Serena Williams v Flavia Pennetta).

"The Price Of Gold" is now scheduled to be on at 22:00 BST. But, given past experience with tennis, that is liable to change.

So who knows when (or if) Nancy and Tonya will be on! :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I watched it on Youtube a couple of months ago and it was really sad. Tonya's coach knew that she was mistreated by her mother and she did nothing about it. It's true that the authorities would most probably have taken Tonya away from her mother and then she would have had to stop skating. Was it worth it?

I still find Tonya to be quite delusional. Especially in this one where she comes across as calling the shots on the direction of the documentary. https://youtu.be/m8IgpOXRz0w?t=18m31s

Also as if Midori would even be sparing a thought for Tonya when throwing her Axel at Albertville. Probably the last thing on her mind.
I agree that Midori hat better things to do than thinking about Tonya's performance, but I don't think that Tonya is delusional. I believe that she was the most talented skater of her generation. Just watch the FS she did in 1991 (both programs). She became U.S. champion and won Skate America in 1991 and the non-U.S. judges liked her better than the U.S. judges. She just shouldn't have left Dody Teachman. Tonya was Tonya's greatest enemy and that's what's missing in this documentary. It wouldn't have been necessary for Tonya to injure Nancy if she would've just set the priorities right in her life.

I admire how Nancy Kerrigan handled the whole situation. She focused on her goals and was able to perform brilliantly despite all the crazy things happening to her and around her.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Great. Tennis episode moved to 10pm and the showing of the skating one disappeared altogether.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Great. Tennis episode moved to 10pm and the showing of the skating one disappeared altogether.

Very disappointing. But, I have to say, I am not entirely surprised. BT Sport shows tennis (albeit Women's tennis). The do not show figure skating. So, it makes more sense for them to keep the tennis episode.

Although the episode was changed, Sky+ still recorded it. And, when I found it this morning I thought "hey, I may as well watch it!" And I am really glad I did. It was VERY interesting. :cool:

I don't know a lot about tennis at the best of times, but even less from that time (hey, I was only in P1 back in 1991!)

For a start, I always thought Jimmy Connors was Australian. I didn't realise that he was American.

And I always thought of him as a player from the 70's and early 80's. I never realised that he was still playing into the 90's.

So, I had never heard the story of his run in the 1991 US Open before, at the age of 39. Or of how he had come from being the "bad boy" of tennis, to becoming a crowd favourite.

And I had never heard tell of any of the players he came up against. (I might have heard of Pat McEnroe in passing in relation to his more famous brother, but it didn't register if I did!)

One thing I found funny, though. Whenever a former player was speaking, we would get a caption like "Former World #1" or "Former World Top 10", etc. When it was a reporter, the caption would tell you who they worked for. When Jimmy's on was on, the caption would say "Jimmy's son". But when Patti McGuire came on, the first thing the caption said was "Playboy Playmate Of The Year, 1977"! It was only after that, on a second line, that it added that she was "Jimmy's Wife"!!! :laugh:

Overall, a very interesting and informative programme.

After seeing this tennis edition, it has made me even more keen to see the figure skating edition. I really hope BT Sport reschedule it for sometime soon (and let us know when!)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, just writing to let you know that BT Sport HAVE rescheduled the Nancy and Tonya edition of "30 For 30".

It will be shown TONIGHT at 19:30 GMT on BT Sport 2. (Apologies for the late announcement. I only spotted it there now).

BT Sport

Tuesday 17[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2015
BTS2 19:30 – 21:00 GMT “30 for 30: The Price Of Gold”

Unfortunately, the BT Sport channels DO NOT have time shift versions, and there is no sign of the programme being repeated in the near future. So, if you can’t watch it at the time of broadcast, make sure to remember to record it!

BT Sport 2 (i.e. Standard Definition) is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 410 on BT TV
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 532 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 410 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 457 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 65 (11.081V. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).​

BT Sport 2 HD is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 432 on BT TV
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 528 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 440 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 417 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 114 (11.385V. MBaud 29,500. FEC 3/4).​

And thankfully there are no LIVE sports on today to interfere with it! :cheer: :hap85:

NOTE: As of the start of August 2015, the full compliment of BT Sport channels are no longer free on Sky to BT Broadband subscribers. Unfortunately for us, BT Sport 2 is one of the channels that you now have to pay for.

For the comments from when it was first shown in America, see this thread.

Looking forward to (finally!) seeing it!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
I agree that Midori hat better things to do than thinking about Tonya's performance, but I don't think that Tonya is delusional. I believe that she was the most talented skater of her generation. Just watch the FS she did in 1991 (both programs). She became U.S. champion and won Skate America in 1991 and the non-U.S. judges liked her better than the U.S. judges. She just shouldn't have left Dody Teachman.

I admire how Nancy Kerrigan handled the whole situation. She focused on her goals and was able to perform brilliantly despite all the crazy things happening to her and around her.

When I said "delusional", I wasn't implying that she was delusional about her own talent. Or perhaps I was. She was talented. There's no doubt. And she had a huge lutz and a great 3A for everyone to see (even though I still preferred Midori's jumps when both were on their game). But when I say "delusional", I meant delusional in the Ronda Rousey sense. Talented, yes. But there will always be a better( and a more humble) skater out there. And that skater was Midori in that season. Tonya just kept trying to make the whole documentary and that olympic season about herself. It was quite terrible.

PS: how apt for the Rousey analogy to drop here. Argh, that kick to the face. :devil:

For US fans, be on the lookout for the 30 for 30 "Survive & Advance" about the NC State basketball team. It usually repeats around December because of the Jimmy V tournament. You get to see Terry Gannon in his basketball life, plus the whole thing is terrific - funny & heartbreaking at the same time. Terry is all through it and very funny.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'd say that Tonya was the most naturally talented skater to ever come out of the US. Aside from the jumps, her spins and overall skating (speed, control, etc.) were top-notch. Even her programs from the late 1980's exhibited great musicality. She just didn't commit to her craft the same way that Michelle and other world champion skaters did.

Warwick360

Medalist
:curse:

Ronda Rousey is a phenomenal athlete

Of course she is. And so was Tonya. But you know the saying (although very much the misquoted version), pride comes before the fall. And oh my were the falls spectacular.

PS: I've loved Ronda in the past and I still do, but the way she was acting against Holly both during Weigh in and during the glove touch, I have no sympathy. To the list of Tonya and Ronda, I'd even throw in Eugenie Bouchard (Canadian tennis player) into the mix. But atleast in the case of the latter two, there is still time for redemption.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Of course she is. And so was Tonya. But you know the saying (although very much the misquoted version), pride comes before the fall. And oh my were the falls spectacular.

PS: I've loved Ronda in the past and I still do, but the way she was acting against Holly both during Weigh in and during the glove touch, I have no sympathy. To the list of Tonya and Ronda, I'd even throw in Eugenie Bouchard (Canadian tennis player) into the mix. But atleast in the case of the latter two, there is still time for redemption.

It's not like Ronda's finished, She lost a match...

And it was very obvious that the whole attitude thing was to lure the crowds on the rivalry, I'm sure Holm was aware too.

Imagine

Medalist
LOL ironically, there is an article out there calling Holly Holm the "Nancy Kerrigan of mixed martial arts." Guess that makes Ronda a Tonya. It's funny how they threw that in without any explicit mention of figure skating...I guess that's how memorable that whole thing still is.

I know this a FS forum, but I just have to mention how absolutely satisfying the Rousey KO was...she ran her mouth way too much leading up to it. I was wishing for Holm to take it because she was so likable based on the promo, but I knew it probably wasn't going to happen. Never been happier about being proven wrong.