A Capella Frenzy! | Golden Skate

A Capella Frenzy!

JOHIO2

Medalist
Watching CBS Sunday Morning program.....they just showed a piece about the current a capella choral groups craze in colleges and universities. The highlights were kids at Yale. You remember Yale - the Whiffenpoof Song. Seems even the Bush family has its Whiffenpoof alum (not either president/an ancestor).

I say, way to go! Music is such a wonderful part of life for me. It was the real reason I showed up in high school and a way to have fun and make friends all through my life. The story really grabbed me because the choral group I belong to is doing an a cappella concert this spring. I'm loving the pieces we're working on and looking forward to this concert as much as I looked forward to doing Handel's Messiah.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/09/sunday/main592396.shtml

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
WOW JO!!

How cool. Unfortunately I did not inherit my father's vocal chords.

My Dad can't sing like he used to (he's in his 70's now) but he grew up singing - church choir, school chorus, etc. He got interested in Barbershop singing when he was pretty young. LOL when I was a kid I couldn't STAND having to go watch him sing with his quartet because it was "so un-hip." Now that I'm middle aged, I don't care how "un-hip" Barbershop is - I absolutely love it. The a capella thing is the biggest part of the draw. Just amazing.

LOL Every time I've watched Michael Weiss skate this year (LP) I've thought the Battle Hymn of the Republic version was missing something. The most moving rendition of that song I have EVER heard bar none was recorded by the Vocal Majority - a Barbershop chorus out of Dallas. That will make you cry. No other version has ever come close for me. Too bad Michael couldn't skate to that version but LOL without the vocals it would be pretty darn quiet in the arena. :)

One of my most memorable trips with my Dad was to the National competition for Barbershop a couple years ago in Nashville. One of the "in between" activities was a trip to this HUGE courtyard type area near some of the government and historical buildings. There were hundreds of people on the large (and tall) stairways and courtyard out doors for a "sing along." They did some of the old classic 4-part harmony songs that "everyone" knows. LOL, I just lip synched so as not to ruin the experience for those standing within ear shot of me. But it was quite moving and I'm glad to have that memory of that time with my Dad.

ENJOY your singing. I sure wish I had something in that department that didn't scare my own steering wheel and shower head.

DG

JOHIO2

Medalist
DG,

You don't have to have a great voice to love music. And what great memories you have of your father and his passion for singing. Even if his voice isn't what it used to be, I'm sure he still loves to sing and I'm sure you both are great audience members!

I remember my high school speech teacher saying that no matter where he went, he could always make new friends by volunteering at local theater groups. Even if he only painted scenery or made sets (he was also the school's shop teacher! :laugh: )! And don't forget, there is an entire culture that revolves around doggies!

I always have tears in my eyes for an arrangement of Battle Hymn for band and chorus that our all-county band and choir traditionally performed to close their combined concert. Having been on both sides of that group (3 years in the band and 1 in the chorus-hey, I had to sing at least once before I graduated high school!), I really learned that piece inside out. I still hear it performed regularly and always get those tears. They start when the men sing the "In the beauty of the lilies" stanza.

I'm just glad the latest "frenzy" is such a wholesome activity!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
JO...

I just got major goose bumps and a tear when you said:

"They start when the men sing the "In the beauty of the lilies" stanza." No kidding.

Whew. Me too. How cool that you were able to perform that in your combined concert - from both sides no less! (band and chorus)

I'm at a sort of professional / life crossroad right now. (what the heck to you WANT to do for the rest of your life type stuff???) So your comments about volunteering for things like theatre - working on sets, costumes, etc. spoke to me. :)

DG

Last edited:

JOHIO2

Medalist
DG, that's what I mean by "networking." You meet such interesting people from all walks of life and all professions and all ages. Gee that pretty much describes my choir! There are members who sang with my daughter in high school and members old enough to be my parent! Those "kids" keep trying to get my daughter to join up. Maybe she will one day (not real soon, as she is expecting in April. Gotta spend some time getting my granddaughter off to a good start. I'd expect a ride to rehearsals and she can't expect me to babysit then.)

Making sets or handling props or any activity in theater (including the acting) involves HOURS of waiting around for other people and things or doing activities that only require hands and invite talk. Ready made therapy!

heyang

Record Breaker
I've always enjoyed a cappella performances. There's just something about pure voice - especially after the synthesized 80's.

They do exist outside of college, too. Rockapella is well known for the Folger's coffee jingle and 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" Recently, WPLJ had an interview with Toxic Audio which sounded anything but toxic.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I loved Rockapella when I was younger!!! :)

This Hope, a local church quintent that has now made National fame, sing a lot of their songs a capella

I also like the Christian group "A Capella" they're really really good, and they're soooooooooo funny! Wish they'd come up here more often!