A Case for Mirai Nagasu | Page 2 | Golden Skate

A Case for Mirai Nagasu

princessalica

Final Flight
Also, just want to add:

Senior international experience sure doesn't mean much when first-year seniors are winning world medals.

You fail to acknowledge that Mirai probably has only a slightly more of a chance at placing higher than Mariah/Karen?

The slow death of US ladies skating? Really? The doom and gloom towards the end of your article defies common sense. Even if it were true - Mirai is hardly the savior of the US ladies, as much as we might want her to be.

I would have to agree that the slow death of US ladies skating is too dramatic. I think we will see a rejuvenated Gracie next year, and there are some lower rank girls that are moving up, and this is a lull year, but not death of US ladies skating. Ashley is still a strong skater. If Polina comes back, she will likely be consistent and a solid competitor. Courtney Hicks finished terribly at US Nationals, and yet she can still medal at GP events. I'm not advocating sending her to Nationals, but Nationals wasn't necessarily a good measure of potential. Karen had a great nationals. Mirai is more consistent at large events.

Also I would remove "per" when discussing Ashley skipping 4ccs. I think it is more clear to just say as usual instead of as per usual.

I find it an interesting article and an interesting appeal, but I don't think that it will have a universal appeal on a college campus (I work on a college campus and when I am talking about an event I just watched eyes glaze over).

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If Ashley had "0 chance of a medal" in 2014, then Mirai had 000 chance.
And, yes, there indeed were things on the line for USA skating: the team event at Sochi and team spots for 2015, as determined at 2014 Worlds.

It should be noted that in the team selections for 2014, it was never stated that Mirai was dumped in favor of Ashley. In fact, according to the criteria that had been announced the previous summer, Ashley was ahead of everyone (even Gracie) for a place on the team, based on her 2013 showing in GP final, worlds and nationals. And then Gracie was far ahead of everyone else (and got an automatic bid by winning 2014 nationals). It is entirely possible that any discussion involved Polina vs. Mirai, not Ashley vs. Mirai.

Olympics is not determining the spots for 2015. Again, Mirai should have gone to the Olympics. Ashley didn't change/couldn't change the outcome of the team event regardless of what she does. Same with Mirai.

There was no real criteria like Japan. Otherwise Ashley can just skip Nationals and go regardless. It was just a guidance.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
AC96, first of all. I appreciate the fact that you are taking action on something you have a firm conviction for and using the press as a means to do so. As a former college student opinion page editor, I was always hunting for op-eds (i.e. opinion columns from the public) so that person at your school paper will appreciate it.

But I will add to the chorus that you will need to write your piece in a way that non-skating fans will understand. For one thing, the scores and the placements and all the different players will not mean much to them. Also you need something high up on why people should care -- known in newspaper terms as the nut-graf -- We don't really get that --" The US Figure Skating Association’s (USFSA) record of naming international teams prematurely after nationals — two months before worlds — has a history of backfiring" -- until the 5th paragraph. You will have lost most of your readers by then. And even then, I'm still left asking "so?" because the readers of your school newspaper readers have no skin in the game on that either.

What I think your readers would care is a matter of fair play and transparency as well as defining excellence. Certainly, they can understand the frustrations of being (not being selected) for something under a selection system that is not clear or transparent. There's also the matter of power and how sports institution are operated. You could also emphasize the Olympics spots since a lot of folks do watch figure skating.

That's a pretty tough task, as ice coverage said, but it sounds like you're willing to put the work in.

Here's a column from Nancy Armour (who also writes about figure skating from time to time) about why Gabby Douglas was the right pick for the Olympic team: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...yi-makes-right-choice-gabby-douglas/86931092/

If you notice --she doesn't put a ton of numbers or mention a ton of gymnastics folks. She focuses mainly on Gabby and her achievements and why USA Gymnastics system works that way. This might serve as a good framework for your piece.

And just a side note: I'm not sure if your newspaper uses Associated Press style (most do), but under that style, the numbers are usually numeral if it's higher than 10. So Karen Chen's placement would be written as "12th."

Last edited:

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Not a bad article, really (I'm a journalist, so.. :)). But about USFS to change World Team line-up. You know... in all those debates about olympic berths, medalperspectivesand so on we forget one thihg-we talk about human beings not medal-bringing machines. Imagine - you are Karen or Mariah and being national champion or medalist you dropped off the World Team because of something - how would you feel? Not very happy - right?).

Karen made her best when needed most and so Mariah. So they deserved their places in World Team - and nothing else matters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai CANNOT go to Worlds unless Karen withdraws, and I don't see Karen withdrawing. Like it or not, Karen IS the US champion. Mirai had a golden opportunity to be the US Champion herself---she was less than a point behind Karen after the SP, but Mirai blew the FS and finished behind Mariah.

Really, Mirai isn't any more consistent than Karen: just look at Mirai's GP record from this year---it was abysmal. Karen actually has a better GP record than Mirai. So did Mariah, and btw, so did Gracie.

noskates

Record Breaker
Ahhhh - history is again repeating itself. Mirai has 1 or 2 good skates (out of a multitude of poor skates) and all of a sudden she's America's hope. And while we're on the subject, I sadly predict that karen is going to be Mirai the Second. Wins Nationals on a beautiful skate, has the goods, but inconsistency will dog her the rest of her career - like it has leading up to that 1 perfect skate!

Still putting my bet on Mariah to carry us in the future.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Olympics is not determining the spots for 2015. Again, Mirai should have gone to the Olympics. Ashley didn't change/couldn't change the outcome of the team event regardless of what she does. Same with Mirai.
There was no real criteria like Japan. Otherwise Ashley can just skip Nationals and go regardless. It was just a guidance.

I very specifically said that the importance of selections for Olympics was for the team event and that for Worlds, it was spots for 2015. In either case (whether chosen instead of Ashley or Polina), Mirai would have been a very risky choice.

As for "there was no real criteria like Japan," I have no idea what you're talking about.

geige

On the Ice
I think what we're seeing here is a typical GS response.... she asked for critiques about an *opinion* article she wrote, and people directly jump to rebut the article itself. It's a persuasive opinion article people, it's meant to be biased. There would be a problem if it were meant to be subjective news, but as a persuasive article, it does its job.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think what we're seeing here is a typical GS response.... she asked for critiques about an *opinion* article she wrote, and people directly jump to rebut the article itself. It's a persuasive opinion article people, it's meant to be biased. There would be a problem if it were meant to be subjective news, but as a persuasive article, it does its job.

In my case, I haven't been rebutting the points made in the article; i simply suggested that it be submitted to a different publication. That being said, I HAVE been rebutting points raised by another poster in this thread, who has used the article about 2017 to dredge up 2014 again.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's why having Mirai on the World team and expecting her to help Ashley keep that 3rd spot is wrong too. Does anyone really think she would have skated as well at Worlds as she did at 4CC if it was up to her to skate clean to help keep those three spots? No it would have been more like Nationals with her skating with a blank face and underroted jumps galore. Mirai skates great at 4CC when there's no pressure and she knows she's not going to Worlds.

brightphoton

Medalist
Speaking as longtime editor who worked on her university's newspaper: I'm curious as to why this article would be submitted to that publication instead of to a skating site. Usually, the articles on a student paper's op-ed page would concern issues of high interest to many people on campus. I can't see how this would be one of them.

I think people might be interested in an article about figure skating politics. The sport is popular among the 18-25 age group, probably? Christina Gao even wrote an op-ed about the Olympics, and it was basically "no conspiracy! PCS was right! Jumps r most important" in 500 word format.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/2/26/on-thin-ice/

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The stated criteria for choosing the Olympic team had been communicated to all coaches well before Nationals: finish at nationals would be only one of the criteria. In addition, the body of work over the two years prior to the 2014 Nationals was a key decision point. That included Nationals, GP/JGP events, GPF/JFPF, and ISU Championship results.

Mirai was not chosen for the Olympics because she had had a string of inconsistent results over the two years leading up to Nationals 2014, including two off the podium finishes in the GP (one an 8th place in 2013), and two 7th place finishes at previous nationals; her best results were two bronze GP medals and a 2011 bronze 4CC medal. Wagner, OTOH, won 2012-13 GPF silver and 2013-14 GPF bronze, 2012 4CC gold, was 4th at 2012 Worlds and 5th at 2013 Worlds, and won the US championship at the two previous nationals. The choice of Wagner over Nagasu was obvious---and perfectly fair.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i don't know about how correct your statement is. I doubt Canadians are being propped up.. oh well..

I personally would love to see Mirai at worlds but that won't happen. Ashley wants her medal back and Bell and Chen even with boot problems won't give up the spot short of a real bad injury. Would you? As for propping up Canadians or whoever I am not sure that is fair. Really it is just a taste of our own medicine so to speak. Canada, oddly for them, now has two quality skaters and quality skaters still score well when they make mistakes JUST LIKE Gracie and Ashley. It is just weird to see two Canadians doing so well. (Let's forget Chartrand she is no longer in the mix. She has consistently bene rather weak this year). We all have our favourites and the skaters have their agendas. It is rather unfortunate Mirai seems to get the short end of the stick just missing an oly medal - though granted it wasn't and shouldnt have been close for bronze, just being left off the team in 2014 and then fourth again this year though she got a pewter medal.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think people might be interested in an article about figure skating politics. The sport is popular among the 18-25 age group, probably? Christina Gao even wrote an op-ed about the Olympics, and it was basically "no conspiracy! PCS was right! Jumps r most important" in 500 word format.
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/2/26/on-thin-ice/

Yes, agree. As others have noted (especially Mrs. P with her spot-on "nut graf" comment), this article might need some tweaking to give it more immediacy to a college audience.

Last edited:
This is a well-written and well-argued article. I agree with Mrs. P. and Ice Coverage that it could be strengthened by starting off with a bold statement to the effect that the USFSA is continuing to shoot itself in the foot, thus putting U.S. athletes at a disadvantage in international competition. (Nut Graf? I learn something on this board every day! At first I thought that was a typo for Nut Grab, which at least would carry meaning. :laugh: ) This would tie in better with the title, "A slippery slope."

You are not obliged to give equal time to the opposite point of view (i.e., it would be unfair to kick Karen or Mariah off the team). That part can be left to irate letters to the editor who disagree with the thrust of your piece, but that's not your problem.

In the first sentence in the eighth paragraph, do you mean "declined" instead of "deigned"? Or is a "not" missing?

(Also, I am not ashamed to admit my old-time fuddy-duddines by mentioning this: In paragraph 3, second sentence, it would make me so happy if instead of "My eyes tend to instinctively drift" you wrote "My eyes tend instinctively to drift." -- I know, that battle was lost years ago. *sigh* )

More substantively, I think we have to tread lightly in praising the success of the women's Olympic gymnastics program. It is currently under investigation of child sexual abuse at the Karoli's camp, where underage girls are under the thumbs of all-powerful god-like adults. Just saying.

Overall, though, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm totally going to start thinking about "nut grabs" when I'm writing now. :laugh:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, agree. As others have noted (especially Mrs. P with her spot-on "nut graph" comment), this article might need some tweaking to give it more immediacy to a college audience.

I am usually not a negative person but the very well written article, (I will not comment too much on the content as I am biased pro-Mirai) I think, will have no appeal to the majority of college students. Now if it were written for a college sports paper, what have you, then maybe. If the school has a strong collegiate skating program, then there might be some interest there. Otherwise, it would be as if I would write a piece for GS on why there should be public funding for antique aircraft racing....who would read it?

There are two issues here....First, The basic issue is still if team members should earn spots due to past performances (and WHAT performances?) or strategy on the part of the governing body? That is a tough one.
It is important this year. I was at Worlds London ON. 2013, and look at what our ladies did there!
I havent see the lady's FS yet nor read the thread but Mirai skated first in her group. IIRC she seems to do better when she doesnt have time to stew. And she does better in "also ran" competitions like Four Cs.

The second is Mirai. I like all three skaters...Mirai, Mariah and Karen...but none of them are rock solid reliable...and that is not an insult..(I cave under pressure and always have...I am not getting out there in my tutu for sure...)....and they have their quirks....14 pairs of boots???? Really? And that is not an insult.
In this case, I would let the team stand as it is. If there was a skater who was rock solid and had one bad skate, then maybe there would be justification for changing the team, but I dont think that is the case.
(On a selfish point, I would like to see Mirai go out of this season on a high note. And she can be proud of her medal....and I am proud of her. She told me she is coming back next year...I am happy...but even if she didnt come back, I would still be happy for her and what she has done)
Chris whose tutu is rotting in the closet

bobbob

Medalist
I enjoyed the article, though I agree that it may not appeal to a larger audience who is not familiar with figure skating...

Anyways, personally I think Mirai should be on the world team because no one here will disagree that she has a higher chance of securing a third spot than Karen or Mariah, and that is the most important thing at this point. No political correctness, no need to worry about feelings, Karen and Mariah know very well Mirai destroyed them at 4CC and would totally understand the decision.

Under the present circumstances, the US is THE only country that would send Mariah and Karen over Mirai. Even Canada sent Kevin Reynolds last year (though he didn't do well, that's another story..). We need to stop worrying about being so diplomatic and start being more practical if we want to succeed at the Olympics.

brightphoton

Medalist
I enjoyed the article, though I agree that it may not appeal to a larger audience who is not familiar with figure skating...

Anyways, personally I think Mirai should be on the world team because no one here will disagree that she has a higher chance of securing a third spot than Karen or Mariah, and that is the most important thing at this point. No political correctness, no need to worry about feelings, Karen and Mariah know very well Mirai destroyed them at 4CC and would totally understand the decision.

Under the present circumstances, the US is THE only country that would send Mariah and Karen over Mirai. Even Canada sent Kevin Reynolds last year (though he didn't do well, that's another story..). We need to stop worrying about being so diplomatic and start being more practical if we want to succeed at the Olympics.

What if we took a People's magazine approach? Make Mirai and Karen and Mariah more familiar to readers. People can be Team Mirai or Team Karen/Mariah.

While we're at it, it can also be Team Vincent vs. Team Jason and his adorakable ponytail, that somehow gets to go to Worlds for reasons.

Karen and Mariah know very well Mirai destroyed them at 4CC and would totally understand the decision.

Karen and Mariah might, but I wouldn't. The USFSA published, a year in advance, a statement what criteria would be taken into account in selecting the Worlds team. The 2017 Four Continents was not on the list. You can't suddenly pretend that there are no rules just because you decide afterwards that they didn't work out the way you hoped.

(By the way, I think that 2017 4 Continents is on the list for choosing the 2018 world and Olympic team. So Mirai has a leg up before the season even starts. Go Mirai!)