A Few Things | Golden Skate

A Few Things

Cindy1983

Rinkside
(Note: This is partly hypothetical and partly based on an observation.) Does anyone think that the judges and tech panel mark prior skaters lower than they deserve to pad late skater scores, especially if they like the skater? That is just another way of stacking the deck against skaters and propping up skaters they like. It's similar to my criticism of underrotations. Like underrotations can be deducted inconsistently based on skater or thier reputation, judges can withhold a deserved mark. It shouldn't be that way, especially in the top 10 ane especially if the skater is in the second to last group. Whoever's the best on a given night should be justly rewarded, even if it breaks the pecking order. Breaking the pecking order would give the scoring more credibility.

My next issue has to do with the negativity about certian skaters,especially regarding the US ladies. I'll get to the US women in a second. There was worry that Nathan Chen would place too high. With the comeback he had, I wouldn't have had an issue with a third or fourth placement. He proved he could do it.

You may not like the women who represent the US, but the negative and outright nasty comments are unnecessary. Tennell gets criticized for lack of artistry, but I don't see as much artistry in the Russian women. The Russian women's artistry is cookie cutter, manufactured and unnatural. It doesn't pop or feel natural in the way the artistry of a Michelle Quan, Sasha Cohen or Irena Slutskaya. Adam Rippon was a vestige of that artistry. A lot is made of the Tonya/Nancy thing a raising interestin the sport. While that may raise interest, what kept people coming back was the unique athleticism meets artistry that the sport has. That's missing now. That being said, sports go through popularity cycles.

My other issue with the comments is that, to read some of the comments, you would think there was no talent in the US ladies ranks and that all the talent is in Russia, Canada or other countries and that's not true. On any given night, any one of the US ladies could be a spoiler if a spoiler is allowed. In my opinion, there is a 4 way race for the bronze between Russia, Japan, US, Canada and Italy.

On a fun note, if they were to do a spacial on figure skating hilights, what would you choose so far?