A Mass Exodus from Eteri's Group | Page 2 | Golden Skate

A Mass Exodus from Eteri's Group

Tutto

Record Breaker
And how will he know unless he tries? I'm sure plenty of people already tried to write him off before he had his best season in 2014-15. He is 5 years younger than Menshov and Plushenko.

I read some speculations that he moved to TSKA (Goncharenko) with a view to becoming a coach - how true is this I have no idea

anyanka

Record Breaker
With that many pupils, it's natural that as skaters achieve the next level, they'll want someone more dedicated to them. So if Eteri has two dozen students, and her attention is focused on Medvedeva, naturally some would want to leave. It made sense for Yulia to go to Yagudin since he's not as busy as Eteri (although mid-season is another story). Voronov (speculation here) is older and may want to develop a more mature style. I can't speak for Sima but her results last year were great and she was the next great one for juniors, but her results when Evgenia went senior have been pretty lousy, so a change in coaching may be in order.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well skaters are becoming senior later because they have to reach a minimum age that Tara and Michelle were not subjected to for one thing.

But youngest does not mean greatest senior debut season. Tara was younger when she won her first world title, but she was 15th her first year at senior worlds and did not win till the second. Michelle's debut was 8th, it took her till her third trip to win any medal (gold in this case).

Regardless of if Evgenia is 10, 12, 15, 20 or 25, this is still her first season as a senior and she has manged to win the GPF and Europeans, and frankly I think she will do better than 8th at worlds this year. Even a medal at your first worlds, let alone first worlds during your first year as a senior, is impressive... and she could win the gold.

So yes her senior debut is impressive, but that does no relate to her age, or her long term projections.

I get it. Thank you!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cmon. Michelle was 13 when she finished 8th at Worlds, and she had just won Junior Worlds.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
And how will he know unless he tries? I'm sure plenty of people already tried to write him off before he had his best season in 2014-15. He is 5 years younger than Menshov and Plushenko.

Voronov was 3rd at 2015 Europeans & 13th at Worlds and he will be 29 in October.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I don't think so, but a lot of people (including commentators) think she is headed in that direction. If she wins worlds she will already have the greatest senior debut season in history.

Who in the world thinks this?! I remember some British commentators saying so but c'mon, this was before she'd even won the GPF yet.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Voronov was 3rd at 2015 Europeans & 13th at Worlds and he will be 29 in October.

So what? He fell to 13th because he had an injury flare up. Much like Adian (17 years old & supposedly a lock for a medal, according to many) fell to 9th at Nats because of his injury. Sergei finished 4 spots higher than him even with his errors.

And achieving 2 medals at Euros at 26 & 27 is a bad thing? Not to mention a bronze at the GPF final.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
With that many pupils, it's natural that as skaters achieve the next level, they'll want someone more dedicated to them. So if Eteri has two dozen students, and her attention is focused on Medvedeva, naturally some would want to leave. It made sense for Yulia to go to Yagudin since he's not as busy as Eteri (although mid-season is another story). Voronov (speculation here) is older and may want to develop a more mature style. I can't speak for Sima but her results last year were great and she was the next great one for juniors, but her results when Evgenia went senior have been pretty lousy, so a change in coaching may be in order.

Sima left Eteri last season, not this one. She went back to her old coach in SPB and then switched to Rukavitsin's team. Eteri/Evgenia have nothing to do with her results this season.

And Yulia's coach is Urmanov ;)

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really? Wow. How old is she? I thought she was 17 or 18. I guess skaters are becoming seniors at a later than age they used to. I thought maybe Michelle or Tara were the youngest World Champions.

Agree. Although not senior debuts since the current age limit had not yet been instituted, Michelle was World Champion at 15, and Tara at 14 (the youngest). Tara was also the youngest Olympic champion at 15, a record that will stand as long as the current age limits are in effect. Also, 15 year old Mao Asada beat the reigning World Champion at the Grand Prix Final in her senior debut season. She was too young for Worlds or the Olympics that year.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Who in the world thinks this?! I remember some British commentators saying so but c'mon, this was before she'd even won the GPF yet.

Odds are she won't, simply because most skaters decline technically after puberty, but she has given fans every indication that she is capable of becoming the best. If she wins the world title, she won't be behind anyone in modern times in number of world titles at the age of 16.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Sima left Eteri last season, not this one. She went back to her old coach in SPB and then switched to Rukavitsin's team. Eteri/Evgenia have nothing to do with her results this season.

And Yulia's coach is Urmanov ;)

Urmanov! Right!! I get the Loshas mixed up when I name them :p

And thanks for clarification re: Sima. Seems the change back didn't benefit her. Maybe she needs Tarasova now?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Somehow I don't think it is a pleasant thing to be in Eteri's group when a skater is not performing well. Did you ever notice Eteri's face when one of her skaters has a bad day on the ice? It is not a pretty sight---the downturned mouth, the narrowed eyes. When things are going well, she is all smiles and welcomes her skater back from the ice. When the skater has failed, the welcome is cool, to say the least.

I wasn't at all surprised to hear Voronov had left, after his 5th place finish at Nationals.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Reading these comments makes me think about when Frank Carroll decided to stop coaching Timothy Goebel. Is there any chance that she told these skaters they might be better off with another coach. Frank and Lori are both very artistic people and as good a jumper as Tim was, he was stiff as a board, especially in his upper body. I seem to remember that Frank sent Tim to dance class and Tim refused to go.

In my case. I would have dropped Tim like a hot potato for defying me. He was certainly an adult and could do as he pleased but, if Tim didn't want to listen to Frank he should have left him and found another coach before hand.

Last edited:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Agree. Although not senior debuts since the current age limit had not yet been instituted, Michelle was World Champion at 15, and Tara at 14 (the youngest). Tara was also the youngest Olympic champion at 15, a record that will stand as long as the current age limits are in effect. Also, 15 year old Mao Asada beat the reigning World Champion at the Grand Prix Final in her senior debut season. She was too young for Worlds or the Olympics that year.

Not necessarily. Someone who comes along with a birthday between June 11 and June 30 could theoretically beat the record. And technically Yulia already beat that record winning an Olympic (team) Gold medal at an age six days younger than Tara. The World's record will stand forever since no one can win at fourteen anymore.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm interested to see Eteri coach a lady beyond puberty. Jump dynamics change with the body, and it's easier to land jumps consistently with an "upper-body" technique when one's body is not yet developed (or so I've been led to believe by what I read/commentary I listen to.) It worked for Yulia a few years ago, and it's working for Evgenia now. I'm not predicting doom and gloom for Evgenia, but I'm interested in seeing what happens. But there's no question that Eteri packages her best lady with great costumes and choreography (I specify "best" lady because Yulia had really bad costumes this year), and her ladies have nice to excellent spins, and good skating skills for their age.

But more than seeing what happens to Evgenia, I want to see what happens with Polina Tsurkaya. She has basically the best jump technique I've ever seen (IMO), and with Eteri refining everything else could really be something special. I appreciate Evgenia, but she'll never have the jumps of a Yuna, Liza, or Polina T. But if she keeps up the progress on interpretation, keeps getting excellent choreography, improves her SS, and her jumps stay consistent, she'll be great too.

If I worked for the USFS, I would be doing whatever I could to get Polina Tsurkaya's jump coach to move to the US. US ladies often have the packaging, spins, and PCS, but lack the jumps. If there's a CONSISTENT US lady with everything else, she URs everything.

lyverbird1

Final Flight

Well I personally don't think she'll be the greatest as I don't "get" Evgenia yet (although I remain open to convincing) but I wonder if it's an omen that when I first saw this skinny kid from Japan who barely had the body strength to successfully complete a long programme, the Eurosport commentators were suggesting he could become the "best of all time" and look how that turned out...

andyjo24

Medalist
If my predictions are correct, Evgenia will be leaving Eteri in a year or two, and Polina Tsurkaya will be taking her place. :dev2:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
but I wonder if it's an omen that when I first saw this skinny kid from Japan who barely had the body strength to successfully complete a long programme, the Eurosport commentators were suggesting he could become the "best of all time" and look how that turned out...

sorry, who are you talking about?

Also, I'm very curious about Evgenia vs Polina next season. I wonder who will come out on top; hopefully Evgenia doesn't suffer from body changes effects too much, as her style is slowly growing on me.