A new Sasha Journal | Golden Skate

A new Sasha Journal

IDLERACER

Medalist
"We were standing behind President Bush as he gave a speech."
I'm glad she appears to have gotten out of the habit of shoving a cellphone in the guy's face.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Has Sasha been picked up recently by a new corporate sponsor? Just wondering what the new commercial could be for. Maybe a new one for Citizen's Watch.

I found myself just nodding after the first sentence of each paragraph. One thing did catch my eye. Sasha got a trophy for winning Senior ladies at Nats.

I brought this up some time ago about the trophy which was first issued in the Portland Worlds. MK, Weir, Orser and Lucash, and B&A each received one of the new trophies. Their names to be inscribed and date of winning.

It seemed to me at the time that these trophies (one for each discipline) would be a challenge trophy, which means the winner(s) return the trophy for the next championships.

Does anyone know the real story of these trophies? Is there one each year for each discipline? or is a Challenge trophy? Also is it called the Michelle Kwan Challenge Trophy?

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
I thought the trophy named after Michelle was the one the readers select at the end of the year??? I forget what it was called.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IIRC, the winner(s) of the Skating Magazine's "Reader's Choice" Award is (are) given the "Michelle Kwan Trophy"

MKFSfan

Medalist
attyfan said:
IIRC, the winner(s) of the Skating Magazine's "Reader's Choice" Award is (are) given the "Michelle Kwan Trophy"

LOL...I was thinking "Reader's Digest...No, that's not it!" Thanks for reminding me!

MKFSfan said:
I thought the trophy named after Michelle was the one the readers select at the end of the year??? I forget what it was called.
Forget that I brought up Michelle's name for a trophy. I'm not interested in that trophy.

Does anyone know what the trophies given out in Portland Nats were all about? I believe they were USFS inspired so there is no commercial gimmic here. I believe that Sasha has the one for St.Louis since she mentioned it in the interview. If anyone knows about this, is it a Challenge Trophy or does the recipient keep it?

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tinika said:
Is Sasha a Bush supporter? Oh, GOD. Another reason to dislike her.
Well, your comment made me dislike you.

Dee

Tinika said:
Is Sasha a Bush supporter?
I think it's the other way around. Bush is a Sasha fan. And -- providing equal opportunity -- also a Michelle fan. (I don't know how he feels about Kimmie.)

Mr. Bush went out of his way to sit next to Sasha at the opening ceremonies of the Salt Lake City Olympics. IIRC he later posted on Sashafans, "Hey guys, can you believe it? There I was, not five feet from SASHA!!!!!!!!!!"

Then he turned around and invited Michelle to sit next to him at the state luncheon for the President of China.

Just one of the perks of being President! :)

(But I don't care. I have an autographed picture of Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen.)

MM :)

Joesitz said:
Does anyone know what the trophies given out in Portland Nats were all about? I believe they were USFS inspired so there is no commercial gimmic here. I believe that Sasha has the one for St.Louis since she mentioned it in the interview. If anyone knows about this, is it a Challenge Trophy or does the recipient keep it?
The name of the trophy is the State farm U.S. Figure Skating Trophy.

As far as I can tell from this announcement

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=28541

there is just one revolving trophy for each discipline, and each champion adds his name to the trophy, so it has the names of all the U.S.champions on it, in order, then they have to give it back next year.

1995 was the first year it was awarded.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Tinika said:
Is Sasha a Bush supporter? Oh, GOD. Another reason to dislike her.
Sasha Cohen has never publicly discussed politics, which you'll probably find is the case with most skaters, Dorothy Hamill being a notable exception (she's a republican). Being from Orange County, it wouldn't surprise me if Sasha skewed a little to the right, but having dinner with a sitting president isn't an indication of anyone's political inclinations. Click HERE to see a picture of Sarah Hughes and her mother, shortly after winning the gold medal. It's all part of being a major sports figure. Michelle has been photographed with both Clinton and Bush, and I have no doubt that she will also at some point be photographed with whoever the next president is.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I think it's the other way around. Bush is a Sasha fan. And -- providing equal opportunity -- also a Michelle fan. (I don't know how he feels about Kimmie.)

Mr. Bush went out of his way to sit next to Sasha at the opening ceremonies of the Salt Lake City Olympics. IIRC he later posted on Sashafans, "Hey guys, can you believe it? There I was, not five feet from SASHA!!!!!!!!!!"

Then he turned around and invited Michelle to sit next to him at the state luncheon for the President of China.

Just one of the perks of being President! :)

(But I don't care. I have an autographed picture of Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen.)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mathman said:
The name of the trophy is the State farm U.S. Figure Skating Trophy.

As far as I can tell from this announcement

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=28541

there is just one revolving trophy for each discipline, and each champion adds his name to the trophy, so it has the names of all the U.S.champions on it, in order, then they have to give it back next year.
1995 was the first year it was awarded.MM :)
Thanks MM. That's the one I was looking for. 2005 in Portland was its innauguration and it includes the engraving of all the gold medalists since 1914.
Apparently it is a Challenge Trophy and can not be kept by any skater.

Back to Sasha - Is she temporarily holding this trophy or is there another one which she speaks of in the journal entry?

Which skaters will have their names to be engraved by the end of January 2006? (This is a prediction question and not easy to answer.)

Joe

Last edited: