ABCs of the COP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ABCs of the COP

Doris - Mathman -- from the TV showing of the Men's SA, it was stated that Michael's 2footed quad would be juged as a triple. This is so confusing. :confused: He made the 4 revolutions (unlike Amber's triple) and yet it will be judged as a triple and I would imagine a 2footed triple.

I really don't get this.:( I thought the attempt would give the jump credit and the 2 foot landing would be the demerits (-3, eg.)

Yet a flutz is considered an attempted lutz and not considered a flip (which it is by definition). So a skater gets credit for a lutz and demerits for not doing it properly; when in reality the skater did a flip.:sheesh:

Anyone can resolve this? Where or where is Hockeyfan?:)

Joe

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I was wondering the sam thing Joesitz. I actually posted a thread about in on FSU. Here it is if you want to read it. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7865
according to some people on FSU it was underrotated, so it was scored as a triple. I haven't had a chance to go back and look yet to see if it was in fact underroatated, but it looked okay to me when I first watched it. I guess I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to go back and look.
I can potentially see this creating big problems. Because the 4toe was ruled a 3toe the other 3toe that Weiss did in the program didn't count cause of the Zayak rule. I don't know how a skater is ever suppossed to know if thier 2-footed jump is downgraded or not. And if they don't know, they can't adjust thier program to add/subtract elements they need.

Thanks Braveskate - I'm glad other posters are discussing the downgrading of jumps by the Caller who imho, is a most powerful addition to this new system.

I'm concerned with this - not because of Michael who is not on my 'special' list but because I don't think the Caller should be able to whimsically decide to downgrade on any skater. What happens in these calls is that a Quad downgraded to a Triple and the double foot brought along with it, seems to me, to be a bit much. Like the flutz, it seems to me, to be a faulty lutz which is ok with the Callers when in fact it is a flip which it should be called as such. Yet they do not call the flutz a flip. No downgrading for flutzing. Just demerit marks at the judges discretion.

As for Michael, Dick showed it done in slow motion and counted the completed 4 air turns and the toe touch of the free leg. True, it is clearer in slow motion but the Caller should use the slow motion button in his mechanisms before he downgrades.

I'm not complaining about downgrading. If a skater does not make the requisite air turns, then certainly, for me, a downgrade is justified.

There are two so far that I know of (Michael and Amber). Have any others had their "attempts" downgraded?

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Because the 4toe was ruled a 3toe the other 3toe that Weiss did in the program didn't count cause of the Zayak rule
Definitely sounds like a good "tweaking" candidate. OTOH, how do you ensure that skaters don't "declare" a jump something easier jiust to get away with getting credit for two of the same jumps?