Adian Pitkeev | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Adian Pitkeev

Mpd

Rinkside
Yes, and he is still healing his back injury, so he won't be able to participate in Europeans anyway.

OK, thanks! Shame, I would have liked to see him at least once again this season. Best of luck to him for next season :)

estla

Rinkside
Thank you both for sharing your opinion :) Here are my thoughts that have been brewing since the end of Nationals. Sorry if this post is too long, sounds too pessimistic, or mistakes in language would cause any inconvenience to you. I guess I'd feel better if I pour them out all at once.

It's clear to me that Adyan had the idea to fight through injury. His words and his calmness going into the LP after that ominous warmup said it all. His situation was more like Sergei's and Anna's at '15 Worlds than Yuzu's and Han Yan's at '15 COC. I agree that 1) ultimately it was his decision whether to compete and 2) the coaches shouldn't and couldn't have had total control over this matter, but it was still a collective decision. I understand that athletes and coaches have their own mentality which can be hard to understand to outsiders. What irked me a bit was that:
1) For whatever reason to do so, it was strategically a bad move. The crucial competition is still ahead. Unlike Sergei and Anna who could afford to take a risk as they were at "the crucial competition", it was short-sighted to gamble for a Euros spot at the expense of health and all other chances to qualify for WC, EC (although slim already) and possibly WJC. Even if he got a spot for Euros through Nationals, what's the point if his health condition would be even worse?
2) The injury emerged well in advance to Nationals so they had quite some time to respond, unlike the case of emergency with Yuzu and Han Yan.
3) He's still very young, not even an adult, which calls for more care from adult coaches. Physically he definitely has not done growing, so why not put less risk on future health? Mentally he needs maturing, too, and he has limited experience in elite senior competition and life in general. If there's lack of thorough consideration in decision-making, I'd place less blame on him and more on adults around him, compared to the cases with Sergei, Yuzu and Han Yan.
4) After this bump, what people have for him is sympathy, but for Eteri it's criticism and doubts on her ability, especially after she failed to handle the situation with Polina Shelepen and Yulia. The federation would not be happy with her about Adyan's situation, as they probably lost a strong candidate for Worlds while they've been struggling to earn 3 spots. In Russia where the skating politics is alive and well, and administrative forces have much control over what coaches and skaters do, she'd better be careful to protect her team and herself. If a setback can hardly be avoided, try to reduce the loss. If some explanation would be helpful, go make it.

We don't know how hard the coaches tried to change his mind (or if they just held the same position as his). Nor do we know why he has a similar situation to last season where his health would fail him after only half a season. Speaking of this season, his drastic fluctuation of form between SA and COR (mentioned in post-COR interview) and Sergei's mysterious slump puzzles me a lot. In his actual skating, there's amazing progress in all areas but also slight regression in certain details which can hurt his GOE and PCS significantly if overlooked continuously. Not to mention the tension between Yulia and Eteri. Also I heard of other flaws in Eteri's system of coaching from Russian sources, some of which didn't sound very optimistic. In short, I'm left with the impression that this coaching team is certainly promising but still has a lot of lessons to take.
I don't feel like defending Eteri and her assistants, but it's early to write them off. Before I see any concrete evidence, I'd like to give them the benefit of doubt. The best scenario would be coaches growing and maturing ahead of students so that nobody has to part with anybody. Still, it's for Adyan himself to figure out if he's willing to stick with this coaching team while it's still learning major lessons. He was happy with this team at least before Nationals. How he'd feel some time into the future, given the increasingly intense competition domestically and internationally, we're not sure.

Anyway I don't see him leaving Eteri anytime soon, even if things go in the unfortunate way. Considering his personality, family background, financial situation etc., I don't think he has the same level of independence as "that girl" to change the training environment. Well, maybe he will after a year or two. It's cool to see these two hanging around together, while about Urmanov and Sochi I prefer to wait and see. In fact I'm not sure if there's a good alternative for him to rink "Crystal" inside Russia. I find him very ambitious, goal-oriented and clear-sighted, though. I remember his comment on Yulia's coaching change: "If it needs to be done, then it has to be done". I believe he'll act that way if he feels the need and has enough freedom of choice.
FYI, he owns the best 4T3T at Nationals :rock:
Totally agree. I just noticed that Eteri has never handled her students' puberty well, e.g. Yulia, Sima. There's chance she would someday figure it out, (let's see what will happen for Medvedeva), but it takes time. I'm not sure Adian should stick around, waiting for Eteri's maturing.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Sima moved back to St. Petersburg for family reasons, so I don't see what Eteri had to do with her puberty issues this season when she wasn't even coaching her. :confused: And Yulia had a lot of other stuff going on besides puberty. What a strange comment. Eteri's not perfect, but no coach is. Everyone raves about Kori Ade, and Jason Brown has back problems now. Liza had back problems last season, and a lousy season now...so is Mishin a bad coach? Nathan ended up in the hospital after US Nats, is it Raf's fault? Who exactly do you think would be so much better for Adian?

Last edited:

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
Totally agree. I just noticed that Eteri has never handled her students' puberty well, e.g. Yulia, Sima. There's chance she would someday figure it out, (let's see what will happen for Medvedeva), but it takes time. I'm not sure Adian should stick around, waiting for Eteri's maturing.

Good lord, my crazily long post pops up x_x Thank you for your patience to go through it.

I don't think it's fair to blame Eteri in Sima's case, either. Sima coped much better with competition under Eteri than after leaving. Perhaps we can say Eteri didn't fix her technical flaws radically, but how much could she do in only one year? Also there were quite a few factors influencing Sima's decision, like family issues, funding, chance to move up to seniors etc. As for Yulia, it's a more complex case. In short, there was serious lack of mutual understanding between Eteri and her, and the mini-competition inside the group may have added to the psychological pressure she was bearing. I feel both of them will have something to regret years later about how they could have handled their relationship, but there were factors beyond their control.

Sofia

On the Ice
Still I don't understand the need to say "Who exactly would be a better coach for xxx than xxx?" at all. Yes, we can not offer any answer, since neither us nor the skater will ever know whether another coach works before the skater tries. I do agree, though, that skaters should not immediately hang their hopes on coaching change once they meet a major setback, and it's better to stick to a choice good enough within the limitations at present.

Back to Adyan...Didn't the federation promise to post an interview with him a few days ago? The preview sounded exciting! Hopefully he'll disclose more about his health condition, and I'm always interested in his thoughts on many things beyond skating.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting :think:

I'd love to see him put up some big scores.

Noolan

On the Ice
Rumor is Pitkeev is moving to CSKA. Russian forums are talking about it all day today, lots of random sources, no real confirmation so far. I guess we'll see if it's real or not in a couple of days.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This would be a big move for him. I really wonder who would coach him there but it's likely considering his injury that he'll need a good amount of attention so hopefully it's one that doesn't have a lot of other priorities. He's one of my favorite male skaters so I'm only hoping whatever comes of this works in his best interest.

Too bad he won't just follow Yulia to Sochi ;)

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
Rumor is Pitkeev is moving to CSKA. Russian forums are talking about it all day today, lots of random sources, no real confirmation so far. I guess we'll see if it's real or not in a couple of days.

It has been rumoured the whole day, yes... Now people say that Raitsin, who works in CSKA, has confirmed it at one of the forums (though, I'm not too sure if this is real Raitsin or only a fake account).
If it's true it doesn't make me too happy. :scowl: Nobody of those who've come to CSKA lately, has benefited from it. :no:

Batsuchan

Medalist

I'm not surprised. I posted that photo of Adyan at CSKA a few weeks ago, and honestly, there didn't seem to be any reason for him to be there unless he was thinking of switching coaches.... :unsure:

However, it seems like it's not a "done deal" yet...? Could it still turn out like Pogorilaya? She tried to switch to Buyanova's group, and even was seen practicing on the rink there--but ultimately the switch didn't happen... :confused:

Separately, Adyan confirmed he has a girlfriend!
https://ask.fm/AdikPitkeev/answers/135520863310

Do you have a girlfriend???
Yes, everyone, calm down
:rofl:

Cute photo:
https://ask.fm/AdikPitkeev/answers/135497833550
I guess Alexandra Pletneva is the lucky girl after all!

Sofia

On the Ice

Not completely surprising even if it's true, but this is not the change I'd like to see from him, despite my wish to see his PCS rise a bit. I doubt he'd benefit from this move more than from staying with Eteri, skating-wise. Not to mention the list of frustrating stories of skaters transferred to CSKA in recent years which looks quite forbidding. I'll just pray that he won't move under a CSKA coach (especially not Sokolovskaya! :ddevil:) till the truth is revealed. I'll wait for his own words about this.

Adyan, haven't you seen how Kovtun and Samarin skate now? Please don't lose your mind :bang: Let certain CSKA coaches choose candidates for fulfilling their fierce ambition of 5 quads or 6 quads or whatever, but don't let them touch you!

Last edited:

louisinsane

Rinkside
It has been rumoured the whole day, yes... Now people say that Raitsin, who works in CSKA, has confirmed it at one of the forums (though, I'm not too sure if this is real Raitsin or only a fake account).
If it's true it doesn't make me too happy. :scowl: Nobody of those who've come to CSKA lately, has benefited from it. :no:
It's not a fake. No doubt about that. Raitsin has mentioned that he got a call from Buyanova and added that "Adian will come tomorrow and we will find the way" (answering the questions about the condition of Adian's back). I don't know what he actually meant. Probably he is going to shape some sort of a plan for further rehabilitation or physical exercise. By the way, there is no information on Adian's health. He hasn't been training since the Nationals. If he has been under treatment all this time, he may have recovered.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I've read about it from a journalist's blog. It's a switch. I guess a formal confirmation may come in officially allowed terms though. But who knows, his back is not healed properly still.