Advice on how to use WD40 on blades to prevent rusting | Golden Skate

Advice on how to use WD40 on blades to prevent rusting

robot

Spectator
Hello,
Does anyone have any advice on how to use WD40 on blades? Do I need to let it sit for a while and then then wipe it off to avoid getting WD40 on my hard guards or soakers, or is getting wd40 on my hard guards and soakers inevitable thus meaning that I don't need to wipe it off

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
* Before applying the WD-40, make sure the blades are warmed up to room temp and dry.

* Apply WD-40 sparingly. Do not spray it directly on the blades. Spray it on a scrap of cloth; then use the cloth to wipe a thin film onto the blades. Sure, a small amount will transfer to soakers and hard guards; no harm done. But you'll eliminate messy drips.

* Before you get on the ice the next time, use a clean cloth to wipe off the blades.

* Just curious. Do you normally keep your skates in an uncontrolled humid environment?

robot

Spectator
Before applying the WD-40, make sure the blades are warmed up to room temp and dry.

* Apply WD-40 sparingly. Do not spray it directly on the blades. Spray it on a scrap of cloth; then use the cloth to wipe a thin film onto the blades. Sure, a small amount will transfer to soakers and hard guards; no harm done. But you'll eliminate messy drips.

* Before you get on the ice the next time, use a clean cloth to wipe off the blades.

* Just curious. Do you normally keep your skates in an uncontrolled humid environment?
How long do I need to let it sit for before wiping it off? I was thinking of using a wd40 pen so that I can apply it directly?

Also, once it's wiped off is it still able to stain the soaker and get into the hard guard or are you in the clear? Or how many days until it doesn't stain so I can use old ones I don't like until then?

In hindsight, I wonder if I always get black spots on my blades since I usually wipe new blades with a Clorox wipe to get the grease off ......

And to answer your question, me and my skates live in a very humid ac controlled environment, so I actually dry them at the rink with one pair of towels and soakers, and then dry them a second time with a different towel and soakers at home

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
How long do I need to let it sit for before wiping it off? I was thinking of using a wd40 pen so that I can apply it directly?

Also, once it's wiped off is it still able to stain the soaker and get into the hard guard or are you in the clear? Or how many days until it doesn't stain so I can use old ones I don't like until then?

In hindsight, I wonder if I always get black spots on my blades since I usually wipe new blades with a Clorox wipe to get the grease off ......

And to answer your question, me and my skates live in a very humid ac controlled environment, so I actually dry them at the rink with one pair of towels and soakers, and then dry them a second time with a different towel and soakers at home
Don't ever put clorox (wipes or not) on your blades!:eek:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

* I've never used a WD-40 pen before. I googled it; looks like it's a new product that came out last year. Worth a shot ... assuming the pen doesn't drip, and the blade edges don't damage the pen tip.

* I also use the two-towel/two-soaker method. This removes any condensation that may settle on the cold blades while they are transported from rink to home.

* So use this modified procedure:

(a) At the rink, wipe off the blades with Towel #1. Slip on Soakers #1.

(b) At home, remove Soakers #1. Wipe off the blades with Towel #2. If the blades are still cold, let them warm up to room temp, and wipe them off again.

(c) Apply WD-40 to the blades. Slip on Soakers #2.

(d) Next time you're ready to head off to the rink, remove Soakers #2. Wipe off the blades with Towel #3. Slip on Soakers #1 again. You're all set.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Don't ever put clorox (wipes or not) on your blades!:eek:

Just to expand on this topic. Many people commonly identify Clorox with bleach, which is primarily a solution of sodium hypochlorite in water (there may be other additives in specific products). Bleach attacks plain-carbon steel, stainless steel, and chrome. Therefore, it should not be used to clean figure-skate blades.

But Clorox makes a variety of products. In particular, the Clorox website currently lists three different formulations of Clorox wipes. The lists of ingredients for all three do not include sodium hypochlorite, but a variety of other chemicals. Whether or not these other chemicals attack the metals in figure-skate blades, I don't know. The usual advice applies: before using a cleaner on an object, do a spot test first, preferably on a scrap object.

On occasion, I have unpacked new blades for inspection. If there is protective grease, I simply wipe most of it off with a towel, followed by alcohol wipes. Otherwise, my tech cleans off new blades before he sharpens them; I'm not happy with factory-ground edges, so I always have new blades freshly sharpened.

Last edited: