Advice wanted | Golden Skate

Advice wanted

Carlzo

Spectator
Hello,
I‘ve been skating for a few years now and feel much more comfortable moving around on the ice. The upright spin is okay, I‘m still working on my toe pick problem (leaning forward too much) - maybe there‘s someone with some good advice? I tried shifting my weight a little bit backward but then I fall on my butt :confused:
But the biggest problem are my jumps. I‘m stuck at mastering the Salchow and Toe Loop jumps. I like the waltz and flip jump though. I just don‘t feel comfortable doing Salchow and Toe Loop...it feels strange. Would it help to do off ice jumps? Or are there any other tips I could try?
Thanks in advance!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Hi, what kind of skates are you in? I know some have a higher heel, so that can make avoiding toe picks on spins a lot harder.

For your jumps, do you think its a physical issue or a mental one? I know I've struggled just as much with mental blocks for certain things as with physical ones.

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello,
I‘ve been skating for a few years now and feel much more comfortable moving around on the ice. The upright spin is okay, I‘m still working on my toe pick problem (leaning forward too much) - maybe there‘s someone with some good advice? I tried shifting my weight a little bit backward but then I fall on my butt :confused:
But the biggest problem are my jumps. I‘m stuck at mastering the Salchow and Toe Loop jumps. I like the waltz and flip jump though. I just don‘t feel comfortable doing Salchow and Toe Loop...it feels strange. Would it help to do off ice jumps? Or are there any other tips I could try?
Thanks in advance!
Hey! So in terms of leaning forward too much, I like to think of upright spins as being held by a string! Make sure to balance not too far out but def not too back and imagine somebody pulling your body up straight! I use off ice spinners to help me with that :)

About your jumps, I have a question: do you know how to do a loop jump?
Also about your salchow and toe loop, I feel the same way. Sometimes, I think they are pretty awkward jumps (for me) but I find that doing off ice helps a ton! I practice all my singles off the ice and I find that it shows results on the ice as well. To get height in your jumps, I like doing box jump exercises and side to side hops as well. Don't forget to practice the salchow and toe loop individually and break it down slowly <3 u got this! Good luck!