Aldridge and Eaton hope to challenge in Belarus | Golden Skate

Aldridge and Eaton hope to challenge in Belarus

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA's Alexandra Aldridge and Daniel Eaton hope to make the Junior World podium, but will have to overcome the same trio of Russian teams that swept medals in Quebec City.

More

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm very excited about this very fine, young team! Thanks for the really interesting article about them. I particularly liked reading about the way coaching is done in the Krylova and Camerlengo group.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lots of luck, Aldridge/Eaton! I like this team too, but think their chances of making the podium in Belarus aren't good.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, not entirely...

The Russians are sending to Junior Worlds the same teams they had at the JGPF.
Sinitsina & Zhiganshin
Yanovskaia & Mozgov
Stepanova & Bukin

Stepanova & Bukin have occasionally messed up in these big events.
At the JGP this year, they completely blew their twizzles for no points in the SD, barely finishing ahead of A&E in that part of the event.

And at Russian Junior Nationals, Yanovskaia and Mozgov were not sensational in the SD, and finished 4th overall, getting the Jr Worlds slot on the basis of their results at other events, including the Youth Olympics, this year.

So while I am sure Zhiganshina & Sinitsin will win this, A&E have a shot at the bronze, particularly because the judges should be getting used to them by now. As the article says, they are a far different and better team in 2011/2012 than they were in 2010/2011.

For reference, here's their SD & FD

SD from JGP Austria (their highest scoring outing of this dance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgpYX_2Uq6A&feature=fvst

And their highest scoring FD this season, also from JGP Austria:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_sVObOtyv8

JGPF free dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jqNeFZEewk

A&E skated well at the JGPF, but not as well as they did at JGP Austria.
So if A&E skate as in Austria or better, and either team of S&B or Y&M have problems, I think they could sneak in for the bronze.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is all very true, but this competition is in Belarus. Potentially, the Judging panel could contain judges from as many as 4 former SSRs (BLR, EST, LAT, RUS).

DianaSelene

Medalist
That is all very true, but this competition is in Belarus. Potentially, the Judging panel could contain judges from as many as 4 former SSRs (BLR, EST, LAT, RUS).

Estonia and Latvia don't like Russia so that would not be an advantage.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Best of luck to them , whatever the judging panel. The Russian teams are all very good , with S/Z being a cut above , IMO ... but I find the choreography of all 3 very predictable, and they don't stand out individually, somehow, to me. ( Maybe I haven't seen enough of them , I don't know.)... This isn't because they're Russian. For example, I really , really like R/T at the senior level ,and even though I ache for them to have better material , there's something unique about them , as a couple , that makes me look forward to seeing them every time out.

Aldridge and Eaton are one of the 3 couples that stood out to me of the juniors who will be at world's , this year , along with Orford / Williams and Papadakis /Cizeron, as being individual , really giving their all , and having an obvious "couple" identity.And all 3 fill me with that same sense of anticipation. I wish them all the best , and agree that A/E have a not unreasonable chance to medal.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Of course, that S/B were ahead of A/E in the SD despite losing out on an entire element itself is something that suggests that A/E have an uphill battle (aka, chances aren't good).

Also, I really like Stepanova/Bukin and am rooting for them.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Stepanova/Bukin will medal , they have problems sometimes but always bounce back overall nice team and will be the biggest gold threat to Sinitsina/Zhiganshin
but Aldridge/Eaton can still medal if Yanovskaia/Mozgov messes up, they are not yet that polished and a new team