2023 John Nicks Pairs Challenge | Sep 6-9 | Golden Skate

2023 John Nicks Pairs Challenge | Sep 6-9

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 John Nicks Pairs Challenge will be held September 6-9, 2023, at the home of The Skating Club of New York, Chelsea Piers in New York City. This will be an ISU Minimum Technical Scoring event featuring Junior and Senior Pair teams and will be conducted in accordance with the 2022 ISU Constitution and General Regulations, the ISU Special Regulations & Technical Rules for Single & Pair Skating and relevant ISU Communications. Eligible competitor scores will count for ISU Minimum Technical Score and toward world ranking.
Note: No live stream due to music copyright issues.

SCNY Home page where details and later results links can be found.

Last edited by a moderator:

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Junior Pairs:

Cooke/Kennedy
Moss/Gal
Carpenter/Maravilla
Enkina/Kovalenko
Fletcher/Felberbaum

Senior Pairs:

Efimova/Mitrofanov
Fitzpatrick/Bearenger
Korytek/Chapman
McBeath/Parkman
Crafoord/Crafoord
Gamez/Korovin
Hanns/Neudecker
Mokhova/Mokhov
Lui/Nagy
Kovalev/Kovalev
Plazas/Fernandez
Schaller/Mayr
Martins/Bedard
Schmitz/Taylor
Valesi/Piazza
Ouellete/Newby-Estrella

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 John Nicks Pairs Challenge will be held September 6-9, 2023, at the home of The Skating Club of New York, Chelsea Piers in New York City. This will be an ISU Minimum Technical Scoring event featuring Junior and Senior Pair teams and will be conducted in accordance with the 2022 ISU Constitution and General Regulations, the ISU Special Regulations & Technical Rules for Single & Pair Skating and relevant ISU Communications. Eligible competitor scores will count for ISU Minimum Technical Score and toward world ranking.
Note: No live stream due to music copyright issues.

SCNY Home page where details and later results links can be found.
I'll dedicate my 9,000th post by saying this: If music companies want to whine like 5 year olds when someone takes their toy and cry to the teacher, then they're free to look like fools.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'll dedicate my 9,000th post by saying this: If music companies want to whine like 5 year olds when someone takes their toy and cry to the teacher, then they're free to look like fools.
I am not sure that music companies are the real culprits here. As I have explained a few times already, it's up to the venues to purchase music diffusion licenses. They already have to do so if they want to put any music at anytime at the venue. For instance, at my rink, there was always music played during free skating sessions. I don't know how it works in the USA. Maybe the venues need to pay a bit extra if there is a live stream. However, it's really not a big deal. These licenses are not that expensive to start with AND the musicians barely get any royalties. So, really, the culprits are not the music companies here. How would you feel if someone just took YOUR work and didn't compensate you for it? And final words, what about the simple fact that all events in Canada are streamed, and at no cost for the fans, on top of that. It's a mentality that needs to be changed in the USA.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I literally don’t understand why music copyright issues don’t seem to exist in Canada, which streams everything.
Dailymotion, which streams the Canadian domestic events, doesn't have the same copyright system as Youtube. It's a lot easier for an entity that owns the music used in skating to get the video blocked on Youtube. Basically, a company will see that their music has been used and immediately put out a copyright strike without checking whether the claim is valid. It's a very long process to dispute the copyright claim on Youtube, and it can result in your channel getting deleted even if there is no copyright infringement, like with skating videos. Dailymotion does have a copyright system, but it doesn't have the strikes like with Youtube. That means that skating videos don't get taken down nearly as easily due to music copyright claims.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Dailymotion, which streams the Canadian domestic events, doesn't have the same copyright system as Youtube. It's a lot easier for an entity that owns the music used in skating to get the video blocked on Youtube. Basically, a company will see that their music has been used and immediately put out a copyright strike without checking whether the claim is valid. It's a very long process to dispute the copyright claim on Youtube, and it can result in your channel getting deleted even if there is no copyright infringement, like with skating videos. Dailymotion does have a copyright system, but it doesn't have the strikes like with Youtube. That means that skating videos don't get taken down nearly as easily due to music copyright claims.
what about the simple fact that JGP events are streamed on youtube then? That doesn't make sense to me. Also, I do manage a youtube channel and copyright claims are easy to handle, when you have rights to share what you are sharing ie own the material or paid your dues.

ETA If the issue is really with youtube, what about using other platforms ? My point : when there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited:

Walt FSHunter

Final Flight
Country
Ukraine
what about the simple fact that JGP events are streamed on youtube then? That doesn't make sense to me. Also, I do manage a youtube channel and copyright claims are easy to handle, when you have rights to share what you are sharing ie own the material or paid your dues.

ETA If the issue is really with youtube, what about using other platforms ? My point : when there is a will, there is a way.
I quite agree. I suspect the real reason is the meanness of the organizers who want to profit on selling the videos and photos from the competition.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not sure that music companies are the real culprits here. As I have explained a few times already, it's up to the venues to purchase music diffusion licenses. They already have to do so if they want to put any music at anytime at the venue. For instance, at my rink, there was always music played during free skating sessions. I don't know how it works in the USA. Maybe the venues need to pay a bit extra if there is a live stream. However, it's really not a big deal. These licenses are not that expensive to start with AND the musicians barely get any royalties. So, really, the culprits are not the music companies here. How would you feel if someone just took YOUR work and didn't compensate you for it? And final words, what about the simple fact that all events in Canada are streamed, and at no cost for the fans, on top of that. It's a mentality that needs to be changed in the USA.
There's something weird about it. I think something in the settlement with the cover band. Does every venue in the world really pay for "YMCA?"
It's mostly in the US there is no stream, but not always. Lots of these challengers don't have a stream.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I have definitely seen JGP events yanked from Youtube over music rights, as well as Day 3 of Asian Open. Fortunately the JGP puts up each individual performance too, so you can still see everything that didn't get pulled.

Using other platforms would be great. How do we get the Feds to use them?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I quite agree. I suspect the real reason is the meanness of the organizers who want to profit on selling the videos and photos from the competition.
I would think they'd make more selling livestream.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
The competition has a videographer, and videos are available for free download to the competitors. Would have been easy to just livestream the event.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
There's something weird about it. I think something in the settlement with the cover band. Does every venue in the world really pay for "YMCA?"
It's mostly in the US there is no stream, but not always. Lots of these challengers don't have a stream.
Yes, every venue in the world is supposed to get permission for use of YMCA. Getting permission doesn’t always mean a payment is required. In the case of a charity event or low-level competition, very likely not. But for use of it for something like a movie or TV special, very likely yes.

Obviously, there are many usage situations that fall between those examples. The key is getting permission. For every use.