Alexander | Golden Skate

Alexander

I just saw this last night. If you plan on seeing it, be sure to bring your dinner. It goes on and on and on. And that is my biggest complaint. The battle scenes are excellent but the length of them is not all together necessary. If Stone would have cut those scenes by 5-10 minutes each, that would work. The other complaint would be the convoluted affect that flash backs give. It takes some work to see what happened?

On the plus side, the performances are super. Kilmer, Jolie, and others are first rate, and Farell (given his private life) is really special doing some very tough intimate scenes. Not easy.

I wish that Stone, one of my favorite directors, would have worked better with the Film Editor on this and not rushed it for the Oscar showings. The story of this very young warrior is fascinating.

Joe

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
Thanks for the review. I want to see this film, but I may wait until it's at our cheap theatre.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I should have brushed up on my history before attempting this movie. It jumps around, and does not fully explain all that is happening. It is hard to keep up with and parts of it are simply not interesting. Jolie was the highlight of the film. I still don't know how he died or why for lack of explanation...not a spoiler, because obviously he is not alive. That is 3 hours of my life that I will never get back. :mad:

I expected more from Stone.

Eliza

Rinkside
How is the music? Do you think we'll be seeing a lot of Alexander the Greats (or not so greats) on the ice next season?

Eliza

Eliza said:
How is the music? Do you think we'll be seeing a lot of Alexander the Greats (or not so greats) on the ice next season?Eliza

Definitely, and with lots of toe rake choreography , in fact, much more than good edging.

Joe

Kuchana

On the Ice
Man I didn't know this movie was 3 hours long! I'm not sure if I want to see it anymore. Maybe I'll wait until it comes out on dvd.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I really, really hope not. That movie was that bad that I would not want to see it represented on ice...hoever, the skater in me was making a mental note of the film score and much of is was skateable.

Eliza said:
How is the music? Do you think we'll be seeing a lot of Alexander the Greats (or not so greats) on the ice next season?

Eliza

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
The score is by Vangelis (the guy that did "Chariots of Fire" and "Bladerunner") and it is gorgeous. I could definitely see many of the selections from the soundtrack being used next season. I bought this soundtrack and "King Arthur" together. Both are wonderful and I highly recommend them to all of the soundtrack addicts out there!

Glacier,

Thanks for the heads up. I've heard the same complaints from many people. Too bad! It is a great story!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I am still bummed that is was not all the I had expected. The worst part about it is that I still don't really know what happened in the hisotrical sense. It was so jumpy and fuzzy. I am actually going to have to do my homework and research it now. I like histroy, but now usually so far back. Expanding my horizons I suppose.

Another incredible film score: Last Samurai. Oh what beautiful music. It is my music for this season, and I never get tired of listening to it. :love: