Alissa Czisny among the notables competing at US Sectionals this week | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny among the notables competing at US Sectionals this week

It sure is nerve-wracking being an Alissa fan! I remember the year she was at the GP final. I think she was the only American lady there, wasn't she? And then yipes! Down in flames. But I'd rather watch her than half a dozen of the businesslike jumpers or the adorable sprites who have potential but no musical depth. Her spins are almost up there in Ruh and Lambiel territory. She's musical and airy. Can't we give her blinders and earplugs and make her think it's a practice session?

Mathman, I love the way you put it: she should do a Michelle Kwan. It's indicative of how lucky we fans were for so long, because Kwan was both one of the most artistic skaters and one of the most consistent. It wasn't a done deal that she would win everything she entered, but we at least knew that she would do her best or close to it, and we could enjoy her program. With Alissa, the best way to watch her is on YouTube afterward, when our hearts have slid back down from our mouths. Love her dearly, though.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Just to be clear, I never said it will happen for anyone. INSTEAD, I've decided to adopt a wait-and-see attitude before rushing to any hasty conclusions.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I can't begin to predict how Alissa will fare with the rest of the season, but I too am in the camp of believing it's important to land your jumps at every competition, no matter how small or unimportant. That way standing up becomes a habit, and jumping well becomes part of muscle memory and good proprioception etc. -- not falling down. Every time something happens it becomes more likely to happen in the future. Why practice falling down? Why make falling your default behavior? Practice staying upright so that is the habit you revert to under pressure, not the falling.

"You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training" is one of the best truisms for athletics I've ever heard. Of course there are a few times when performers rise to the occasion, but that's the exception. Alissa should be using minor comps to work on her nerves and stay upright, not be casual or careless about them or not worry if she's fallen -- and of course we don't know how Alissa is approaching this, she's probably not thrilled with her sectionals performances, I'm just responding to R.D.'s thoughts. And I do appreciate R.D.'s calm perspective. I just would guess that Alissa will continue to be Alissa, as R.D. also said, and sometimes be on, and lots of times be off. Sigh.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I guess we will see in Paris - Alissa knows a very good performance can get her to the GPF.

And if she makes it to the GPF who can say how well she will skate there?

Or how she will do at Natls?

As a former Sasha fan maybe I don't mind Alissa's up and downs - and actually enjoy the suspense. ;)

Will she or won't she - be sure to stay tuned for the next episode of "As Alissa Turns" :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I guess we will see in Paris - Alissa knows a very good performance can get her to the GPF.

And if she makes it to the GPF who can say how well she will skate there?

Or how she will do at Natls?

As a former Sasha fan maybe I don't mind Alissa's up and downs - and actually enjoy the suspense. ;)

Will she or won't she - be sure to stay tuned for the next episode of "As Alissa Turns" :)

Haha! And it certainly makes her victories all the sweeter.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Haha! And it certainly makes her victories all the sweeter.

Alissa is one of the few skaters who brings beauty and elegance to the ice in the CoP era.
I love her skating and support her always........

Go Sweet Alissa :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I will not cheerlead for her, but I will wish her well going forward this season. We need someone to step up. I think her time has passed, but if she can prove people wrong, so be it.