Alissa is ready! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Alissa is ready!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Rachael is very solid, but I'm trying to think of how many times Caroline and Mirai have fallen in the last few years, not many. Caroline falling twice at SC was such a shock. I know Mirai fell once in her CoC LP but even when she was having such a tough time last year she did a pretty good job staying upright.

Alissa I don't think has ever landed more than 5 clean triples in the free, and I think the last time she did that was 2008 SC, though her 2nd lutz was pretty wonky looking, she got negative GOEs but no downgrade. At 2007 nationals she landed 6, 1 was 2footed and UR.....not sure if any of the others would have been downgraded using today's system, she also landed 5 clean triples at 2005 SA and SC, but again the UR calls were more lax then. Too bad, I feel like URs have become the nemesis of her and Mirai's skating. Alissa used to skate really fast too, i'm sad she kinda skates slowly now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxifQnBUQuw
my favorite performance of hers

Last edited:

krenseby

Final Flight
Alissa used to skate really fast too, i'm sad she kinda skates slowly now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxifQnBUQuw
my favorite performance of hers

Silverlake, a great sadness has just come over me. You see, watching that program made me realize how free, vibrant, and joyful Alissa's skating used to be. I am sure she can probably skate like that even today, but probably only in exhibtion.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Silverlake, a great sadness has just come over me. You see, watching that program made me realize how free, vibrant, and joyful Alissa's skating used to be. I am sure she can probably skate like that even today, but probably only in exhibtion.

I know :no: . I feel the same way about Mao's skating, in some respects Mao and Alissa have improved their skating, and they are both still very beautiful skaters, but the freedom and happiness appear to have left and been replaced by caution and seriousness.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
BTW, nice sendoff skate! 4 solid triples, and I'm glad she changed the 2nd loop to a toe and nailed the 2nd lutz :agree: . That will be good motivation for her going into nationals.

cornell08

Final Flight
Ever since Sabrina, Alissa's been skating slower and slower though.... :frown2:

Unless its that she's one of those skaters who skates at the tempo of her music. She does seem faster for Zorro. She looks better here but 4 triples isn't going to cut it for the Olympic team (at least, I hope not).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ever since Sabrina, Alissa's been skating slower and slower though.... :frown2:

Unless its that she's one of those skaters who skates at the tempo of her music. She does seem faster for Zorro. She looks better here but 4 triples isn't going to cut it for the Olympic team (at least, I hope not).

I know, look at how fast she is here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxifQnBUQuw . That was probably her best skate ever, what a great performance.

As for nationals, it will all depend on what everyone else does.

Tell me about it, sister! :agree:

At least we'll be happy about somebody tonight. I really really really want Sasha to do well, but I love Ashley, Mirai et al. too! 8 mins....

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
Tell me about it, sister! :agree:

At least we'll be happy about somebody tonight. I really really really want Sasha to do well, but I love Ashley, Mirai et al. too! 8 mins....

I was away for a while and came back just on time to watch Sasha. I agree with you, Spun Silver! I want Sasha to do really really well. And I truly believe that American ladies are still great enough at the world level. I mean people talk about Yu-na, Rochette, Mao as if they are far ahead of American ladies. But America has Sasha, Mirai, Rachael, Ashley, Alissa and Caroline who are good enough to get OMG or medals. I want all of them to skate well. If one could not skate well today, I hope they can on Saturday because ALL OF THEM ARE GOOD!!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Geez - I thought the non-jumping aspects of Alissa's skating was so beautiful last night.

So sorry she missed her lutz - which is usually dependable for her in the SP.

herro

On the Ice
I won't say never until the competition ends, but if Alissa doesn't make the Olympic or World team this year, does anyone know if she has the intentions of competing for another season or two?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sadly, Czisny is too far behind (15 pts) her FS simply isn't strong enough to catch her up to the top 3...I think the contender field has been reduced to Nagasu, Cohen, Flatt and Wagner, who must rely on at least two of the other three to make some mistakes while being solid herself.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I won't say never until the competition ends, but if Alissa doesn't make the Olympic or World team this year, does anyone know if she has the intentions of competing for another season or two?

She said she intended to keep skating for a long time, but she might have been counting on going to the Olympics.

15 points is a lot to make up, esp in the LP for Alissa. But you never know. Things don't look good but she could do what she did in 07 and win the FS and make the podium. Her SP that year was a little better though. But who knows.

Layfan

Record Breaker
She said she intended to keep skating for a long time, but she might have been counting on going to the Olympics.

15 points is a lot to make up, esp in the LP for Alissa. But you never know. Things don't look good but she could do what she did in 07 and win the FS and make the podium. Her SP that year was a little better though. But who knows.

Totally. Wagner rallied from 12th to 4th last year, so it's not out of the question for Alissa to rally from 7th to 3rd. Still, it's an uphill battle.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Totally. Wagner rallied from 12th to 4th last year, so it's not out of the question for Alissa to rally from 7th to 3rd. Still, it's an uphill battle.

For sure. She has a shot at the podium but in order for her to make the Olympic team, a lot of stuff would have to go wrong with the top 4. Even Ashley is fighting a bit of an uphill battle here. 8 points isn't that much, but it is substantial, a fall on a triple will cost a skater about 4 points so that's two falls. It's going to be intense tomorrow, that's for sure.

Binthere

On the Ice
The pressure is off. I hope Brian B can look her in the eye and tell her to go out there and just skate her heart out. The crowd will be behind her for sure, so I for one am hoping for a redeeming free skate, whatever the placement, whatever the scores.