All Things Ice Dance: Canadian | Page 43 | Golden Skate

All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

W/P's FD moved me to tears. This is the kind of program that mesmerizes the audience and arena. WOW.

heyhey

On the Ice
Hi everyone,

Just re-reviewed both FDs for Weaver/Poje and Pechelat/Bourzat and I have to say that although I prefer the choreography of W/P...P/B's FD has the more difficult dance holds and P/B are skating closer to one another...Don't get me wrong W/Ps program has potential but in order to surpass P/B they are going to need more transitions etc...my two cents...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Hi everyone,

Just re-reviewed both FDs for Weaver/Poje and Pechelat/Bourzat and I have to say that although I prefer the choreography of W/P...P/B's FD has the more difficult dance holds and P/B are skating closer to one another...Don't get me wrong W/Ps program has potential but in order to surpass P/B they are going to need more transitions etc...my two cents...

On the other hand, if P/B miss each other's hands like they did at Masters, the level destruction will be enough. That said, I think you have a strong point (and I do think that W/P will need to outlevel P/B anyway to have a good title chance).

heyhey

On the Ice
On the other hand, if P/B miss each other's hands like they did at Masters, the level destruction will be enough. That said, I think you have a strong point (and I do think that W/P will need to outlevel P/B anyway to have a good title chance).

IP - I totally agree that execution is pivotal. I think it's shaping up to be an interesting season....

herios

Medalist
Hi everyone,

Where did you find P/B's new FD? I was loooking everywhere on youtube and can't find it!

Macassar88

Medalist
Hi everyone,

Agree
Pechalat and Bourzat have a very complex program, and I really like the choreography, but I hate the music and I don't like their costumes. Weaver and Poje will have to up the complexity of their programs if they want to get the program components to beat Pechalat and Bourzat who I don't think will be panned by the judges having just gotten their world medal.

herios

Medalist
Agree
Pechalat and Bourzat have a very complex program, and I really like the choreography, but I hate the music and I don't like their costumes. Weaver and Poje will have to up the complexity of their programs if they want to get the program components to beat Pechalat and Bourzat who I don't think will be panned by the judges having just gotten their world medal.

HeyHey Thanks for the link

I like P/B FD and i think they will be very competitive with it. Missing a handhold can happen, I would not be worried for them that it will be somthing reccuring.

W/P have to get their levels up, by SA, I hope they increase the difficulty of the midline step sequence in the SP and fix the lift, for starters. Those are 2 easier points to gain, then to look into hitting more YP points.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, so for those curious, it's worth mentioning that like last year's Nationals, G/P scored about 6 points less on their FD (at SLC) than W/P did on their FD (at Ondrej Nepala). Get ready for the paradigm shift.

herios, I think W/P need to be more concerned about beat P/B at CoC re: the levels. Though B/S' high scores at Finlandia are notable, Finlandia was ridiculously overscored.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most International Bs (including Nepela) are overscored compared to GP events.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The minimum TES scores required for Euros/4CCs/Jr Worlds/Worlds insure that judges will all be throwing out (and wanting to throw out) +2's and 3's like candy in all Senior B's, as they did at Nepela. However, the tech callers if anything have been a tad stingy.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
B and S also had TES problems; they can't get their levels. If they want to be competitive they have to up their levels. I and K have the same problem.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Promotional event for Skate Canada International, Sat Oct 13, 1 pm:

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier, Kharis Ralph & Asher Hill, and Elladj Baldé will make a special appearance in Windsor before they compete at the 2012 Skate Canada International at the WFCU Centre from October 25-28. Join them this Saturday, October 13 at 1 p.m. at the Devonshire Mall in Windsor, Ontario for autographs, photos and giveaways!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7807038.268203.129815677038&type=1&permPage=1

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re Virtue/Moir music:

Their Skate Canada profile page now says:
Short Dance
Part 1: The Waltz Goes On (Sir Anthony Hopkins)
Free Dance
Part 1: Music from the opera Carmen (Georges Bizet)
http://skatecanada.ca/Profile/tabid...nce&strbiocategory=Senior Dance&strlanguage=E

So does that mean that additional parts remain unannounced for both SD and FD?

And ... the SC FD listing is different from what is on the their ISU bio page, which says, "Carmen Suite by Rodion Shchedrin."
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00006989.htm
(Sorry, I think I first read that somewhere on GS but now can't find the original post.)

ETA:
Maybe it is the Skate Canada page that is less reliable? It still lists Shpilband among V/M's coaches (and choreographers).​

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
I suppose there are some things to discuss after Skate Canada. However, this question is about some lower-ranked skaters: Have Jazz Smyl-Joly and Nicholas Jesionek split? They are both listed on Icepartnersearch, which suggests that they have. Their last competition as far as I know was Minto Summer Skate. I think they were 14th at last season's Canadians.

Can anyone confirm this (or refute this)?

blue eyed birds

Spectator
This thread fell back quite a few pages, but with most of the fall competitions over, it might be interesting to discuss how this season is shaping up so far for the Canadian dancers. The Grand Prix presented a real mixed bag for many teams, but what will that mean for Nationals?

cleoc

Match Penalty
This thread fell back quite a few pages, but with most of the fall competitions over, it might be interesting to discuss how this season is shaping up so far for the Canadian dancers. The Grand Prix presented a real mixed bag for many teams, but what will that mean for Nationals?

O yes, i think this is great to discuss first part of season now.
I have soem thougts about cnandian ice dancer.
Junirs will be first.
1. I am very sad, because look like Noa Brusser over-crow Timoti Lum :cry: I love this guys, especiallt i love last seaosn tango, but look like noe future for them together. Could such not tall guy, like Tim find new patner in Canada& And could Noa find new pather? This is a big question for me.
2. Must say i like Andreanne POULIN / Marc-Andre SERVANT programs this season. Its look fresh, very good ideas for junior skaters and i wish to see them at JGPF, but maybe at JWCH? Good luck to them.
3. Look like the best results in Aaron Lowe group had Madeline EDWARDS / Zhao Kai PANG. I like FD on "Artist" soundtrack. But i wish Madeline will improve her posture and Zhao Kai start working on his interpretation and connection with his patner. I think Madelin have good presentation, but she couldnt show it along I think they will win gold at JCN this season.

As about seniors.
1. I want to say, all canadina ice dance team have low score. The most part - low technikal mark. I dont know why this happened, but canadian coaches and official need to start thinking about why this happend.
2. First of all Paul-Islam with there great lines, posture and not bad programs this season (plus Camrlengo is on there side now) could fight with Chock-Bates, Habbel-Donahue ect., but couldnt. They had not the same level marks at Nebelhorn and this is sad. So maybe they need to work more on try to find new style? Om technick? I dont know, but this team could have higher marks in PCS with such great postures, lines.
On positive note - they skated clean (without major mistakes) all competitions this season. This is good improvement for them. Hope they will stay healthy and could show there best at Nationals.
3. Orford-Williams. This was there debute at GP. I saw them "live" and must to say they are good skaters, with good basics. Its funny, but girl have more spedd then the boy :) I like ther polka, but FD is bad (IMHO). And plus bad dress didnt help them. I like there elements - positions in spin, where she did Meryl position for tango FD and her leg extention look even better, lifts (especially this one on 1 feet). But i dont like choreo.
I think this two could ahve good future if they will work hard and will find there own style, wich is very important in ice dance. From this season FD i see not every music will play on there side.
But still thinking the were wuzrobbed at CoR. At NHK marks was much better.
4. Ralf-Hill. Afdter last season tango they was one of my favorites. I love this season SD. Some muves they made in music look very good and they sold Can can to me :biggrin: But not the same with FD. They still have interesting transitions and lifts, but overall impression isnt so good, like from last season FD. This music repeat so many times... I am not sure it was good idea to use 1 song for FD. I like her dress in FD They get very lw marks, like all canadians. But i dont think with this FD they could compete with Gillis-Porie at Natiaonals. But will see. I even willl put P-I higher.
5. Gillis-Porie. I was hard for them to show something so good, like last season FD. I think they could use that FD for this season - nobody saw it at international comeptitions. I find new FD very interesting. lifts look so easy and have a lot off innovated positions. I like how twizzles go with the music. and i like there energy and speed. But season i could see more problems with Piper lines and problem with skating.But Paul is so good
Th e best thing i like in this team - they love to perform. they like to compete, look like they spend time very good with each other on ice. Last season i thought they even could compete with W-P for second place at the Nationals, but look like there time eill come after 2014 OG. But i think they willl be at WCh this season - this will be greate achivement for team who did skate long time together.
I dont like there SD - nothing speciall. But costums are from the movie :biggrin:
6. W-P. I know, its hard to made soemthing so good, like there last season FD. It was understanding after WCh in Nice. They try something new this time- its greate/ But i feel like they are not good enough to made such type of FD. I mean this FD need to show such a clean lines, a lot off freedom in the movement. And i think they need to add connection steps. I dont like SD at all because of so many music parts in it. But it was sad to see how low they were ranking at GP. And like other teams from Canada they had very low technikal marks. I love B-S FD, but still thinking W-P could get more points in Tech. Like i know they worked with Shae-Lynn on there FD last week-end and i cant wait to see how they will look at Natioanls. I think they could be at GP and i wish to see them in Sochi,but... But maybe they will be party for russian teams and then party for canadians at WCH? Will see. But this guys thought they could fight for bronze this season, but after GP they look very sad.
7. V-M. They not only like other teams from Canada had such a low technikal marks, but they re a victims of Zueva-Shpilband split. And this was understading from SC after Igor interview about V-M skating and lift in SD. And after Igor made Carmen for C-L.
But i must to say i am proud for them, because they didnt stay at comfort zone, like all other teams (exept B-S) and try to find new way to show there body movements. And they did it in SD and in FD. Ofcouse FD is most discussed program in this season. Someone love it, someone hate it, but nobody said its boring :biggrin: This dance is going with music so well, have a lot off passion, drama, so many transitions. All liftes are new and i am sure none could made such lifts. Look at there body positions in lifts, enterens, changing of positions in last lift. This is really modern dance with all elements going with the music and storyline.
They made much more they need to get level 4. At spin he touch her face, look at her, they made difficult outing. All new lifts is much harder, then all other teams made. And they could made it. I saw them from the second row - iths not like gard work, its like some higlightes of the music.
This type off program is very hard to skate clean from the first outing. Its not like if you skate the same program (i am talking about elements) in last 3 years, but i am happy Tessa and Scott did this and show this piece of art. I am sure this will be best FD in a long time And Tessa.... Never thought she could be so "not sweet". Anna look like schoolgirl compare to her

As for SD. It has so many little things, interesting bodymovements. So its not so unusual, like FD, but i like it.
So i am sure they couldnt win GPF because of very difficulty of programs. But they will made history at WCh even if they will not win gold.
I think this will be big problem for all ice dance teams from Canada considerent such marks at the begining of the season and no judge from Canada at WCh. But i belive in team Canada - they will show there best and will made fans happy, even if judges will not
Sorry for such a long post.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited: