Amazing people you have met | Golden Skate

Amazing people you have met

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Outside of skating and politics, who would you say is the most amazing person you have met who is still with us?
Now that Gen. McGee has left us, my vote is for today's birthday boy, George Hardy.
Last time I saw him lecture was in 2019 at Oshkosh Wisconsin. Sharp as a tack. Very Intelligent. He and Gen. McGee share my values and I will vote for him like I voted for the Gen. in the next election. In order to see him lecture when he lectures inside, you have to find a seat early in the lecture hall and there will be a thunderous standing ovation at the end.....

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We met Mitch Albom @ a book signing event @ his childhood synagogue in southern New Jersey (which is probably in a different location than when his family belonged there). I complimented him on many of the sports related articles he wrote for the Detroit Free Press (one article in particular I remember - he wrote a very nice article about Todd during the 2002 Winter Olympics).

My husband & I are huge Gordon Lightfoot fans, and I've lost count of how many times we've seen him in concert. We have had the pleasure of talking to him & his wonderful band members after quite a few concerts. He's a very humble guy, and he has autographed a number of items for us (piano/guitar books of his music, etc.). One especially special item we got to give him a few years ago was a copy of a Big Book (for elementary school children) about the Edmund Fitzgerald, called The Big Fitz. I found the book in the reading room of the elementary school where I taught. I asked the reading teacher if I could borrow a copy of the book to show Gordon after one of his concerts. Not only did she allow me to do that, she gave me 2 copies of the book! So, we gave him one copy of the book to keep & one for us to keep. Gordon was thrilled with the book, autographed it for us, and continues to thank us for that book every time since!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
We met Mitch Albom @ a book signing event @ his childhood synagogue in southern New Jersey (which is probably in a different location than when his family belonged there). I complimented him on many of the sports related articles he wrote for the Detroit Free Press (one article in particular I remember - he wrote a very nice article about Todd during the 2002 Winter Olympics).

My husband & I are huge Gordon Lightfoot fans, and I've lost count of how many times we've seen him in concert. We have had the pleasure of talking to him & his wonderful band members after quite a few concerts. He's a very humble guy, and he has autographed a number of items for us (piano/guitar books of his music, etc.). One especially special item we got to give him a few years ago was a copy of a Big Book (for elementary school children) about the Edmund Fitzgerald, called The Big Fitz. I found the book in the reading room of the elementary school where I taught. I asked the reading teacher if I could borrow a copy of the book to show Gordon after one of his concerts. Not only did she allow me to do that, she gave me 2 copies of the book! So, we gave him one copy of the book to keep & one for us to keep. Gordon was thrilled with the book, autographed it for us, and continues to thank us for that book every time since!
That was back in a time when the music was good...now....I got nothin'.