American Idol 4/26-4/27 | Golden Skate

American Idol 4/26-4/27

Dante The Beagle

Rinkside
Ryan just confirmed the theme for tonight. It is songs released from the year 2000 to the present. Should be a good show!! :clap:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks for getting this thread started, Dante. Should be exciting......42

Aloft04

On the Ice
Out of all the music since Y2K, those were the best choices they could have made?! :sheesh:

My bottom three:
Constantine, Scott, Carrie (mostly because I hate country music)

Aloft04 said:
Out of all the music since Y2K, those were the best choices they could have made?! :sheesh:
ITA. That stunk from beginning to end. This was my first time watching American Idol this season. I couldn't believe the judges liked those performances. The only one I liked was the last singer who sang Dance with my Father.

Mathman:disagree:

brad640

On the Ice
I agree MM and Aloft that this show was bad. First, Ryan Seacrest is starting to wear thin with me. I was able to tolerate the insults he directs at the judges because they are used to it, although I never found his remarks about Randy’s weight or Simon’s clothes to be funny. I was really annoyed with him tonight because he insulted every contestant with his mean-spirited remarks (comparing Constantine to Clay, Vonzelle’s Tuesday rituals, Anthony's weightlifting, Scott’s weight). I know that he comes from radio and radio personalities build their careers on immature put down humor, but I have stopped listening to radio dj’s for that reason, and if Ryan is going to make it in television, he is going to have to change his game. His cancelled talk show from last season says it all.

So enough of that, here is how I ranked the contestants this week.

1. Bo – Not his best, but easily the best from this show. Bo’s sense of style left him this week, and I hope he will hit the stores this week to step it back up. Y2K was an awful theme, and the show is looking empty without Nadia and Anwar. Nadia showed up on Ellen Degeneres singing her Dusty Springfield number and proving yet again that she was one of the best this season.

2. Vonzelle – I loved her brothers’ tshirts that said “Vote for Baby V.” Her Christina Aquilera was not great. She was not sustaining her notes well and was not on.

3. Anthony – not a great song, but this was the best he has done in my opinion. I loved Anthony’s dad, and I think he has the most compelling personal story this season.

4. Constantine – his version sounded better than the original, but I am not a Nickleback fan, and I don’t know why anyone would want to sing this song.

5. Carrie – Oh no! The judges were nice because they had just seen her poor mother crying about what a good daughter Carrie is, but her performance was a disaster. She deserves bottom 3 tomorrow for sure.

6. Scott – When I heard him start, I thought it was going to be great. I love Dance With my Father, and I thought the style and lyrics would suit him perfectly, but the vocals were not there for him. His voice seems to have gotten weaker as the show has gone on, I think because he does not have formal training.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Tonight

Well, this was interesting tonight.

Worst of the night: Scott (it was just not very good at all, but a great choice)
Next to the bottom: Constantine (he was awful, trust me)
Round out the bottom 3: Carrie (the others out-sang and out-performed her)

Safe are:
Bo---was was himself and remains in his style.
Anthony---he sang very well and his fans like him enough to power dial. He is very bubble gum pop music. Too sweet.
Vonzell---she continues to do well, loosen up and perform! She was the best of them tonight and should be safe.

Final 4 is probably going to be Carrie, Bo, Constantine and Vonzell; unless someone does a great performance to shake things up. Carrie is fading a bit in her performance quality. We'll see what happens!

mike79

On the Ice
Hey everyone. I haven't posted in a long time so I decided to pop by and chime in with my two cents.

1. Bo - The best of the night even though it really wasn't very good.
2. Anthony - Wretched and awful, especially compared to Kelly Clarkson's version.
3. Vonzell - She's overrated and she was all over the place.
4. Carrie - One of her worst, and a poor song choice.
5. Scott - Wow, some of those notes were seriously nowhere near where they shuld have been.
6. Constantine - One of the worst performances of the season. His constant mugging for the camera and faux-rocker schtick is making it hard for me to even watch this season.

This has to be the worst season in AI history. At the beginning I was pulling for Carrie, Bo, and Nadia. I'm still hoping for a Carrie/Bo final 2 but I could really care less who wins, as long as it isn't Anthony or Constantine.

I predict Vonzell goes home tomorrow with a bottom 3 of Vonzell, Anthony, and Scott.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hey Mike!

I had a hard time ranking the singers tonight. They were all bunched together for me, but this is how I ranked them and why........

1. Anthony.....good vocals for him. He does well when he stays out of the bottom register.
2. Constantine....He and Bo sang very similar songs, so I have a hard time when people say he's awful and Bo's right on.......they sang in the same style and vocal range tonight. What Con is is versatile. He changes up his style week after week.
3. Bo....a typical Bo song sang in a typical Bo style......to be fair, I didn't like either of the songs Con or Bo sang, but I ranked them on their over-all performance.
4. Vonzelle...I agree with Simon, the song started out very weak, but did pick up as she progressed.........her vocals sounded a bit strained.
5. Carrie.....Her expression was much better this week, she just should have picked a better song, in my opinion.........this was too "rock-a-billy" for me, a style of country western music that I do not like.
6. Scott.....great song choice, but very weak, strained vocals...........

Bottom three should be Scott, Carrie, and Vonzelle, but could very well be Scott, Carrie, and Constantine........42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
brad640 said:
I agree MM and Aloft that this show was bad. First, Ryan Seacrest is starting to wear thin with me. I was able to tolerate the insults he directs at the judges because they are used to it, although I never found his remarks about Randy’s weight or Simon’s clothes to be funny. I was really annoyed with him tonight because he insulted every contestant with his mean-spirited remarks (comparing Constantine to Clay, Vonzelle’s Tuesday rituals, Anthony's weightlifting, Scott’s weight). I know that he comes from radio and radio personalities build their careers on immature put down humor, but I have stopped listening to radio dj’s for that reason, and if Ryan is going to make it in television, he is going to have to change his game. His cancelled talk show from last season says it all.

So enough of that, here is how I ranked the contestants this week.

1. Bo – Not his best, but easily the best from this show. Bo’s sense of style left him this week, and I hope he will hit the stores this week to step it back up. Y2K was an awful theme, and the show is looking empty without Nadia and Anwar. Nadia showed up on Ellen Degeneres singing her Dusty Springfield number and proving yet again that she was one of the best this season.

2. Vonzelle – I loved her brothers’ tshirts that said “Vote for Baby V.” Her Christina Aquilera was not great. She was not sustaining her notes well and was not on.

3. Anthony – not a great song, but this was the best he has done in my opinion. I loved Anthony’s dad, and I think he has the most compelling personal story this season.

4. Constantine – his version sounded better than the original, but I am not a Nickleback fan, and I don’t know why anyone would want to sing this song.

5. Carrie – Oh no! The judges were nice because they had just seen her poor mother crying about what a good daughter Carrie is, but her performance was a disaster. She deserves bottom 3 tomorrow for sure.

6. Scott – When I heard him start, I thought it was going to be great. I love Dance With my Father, and I thought the style and lyrics would suit him perfectly, but the vocals were not there for him. His voice seems to have gotten weaker as the show has gone on, I think because he does not have formal training.

Hey Hold On!!! Nickleback is a Canadian Group!!! They sing the song great, Constantine murdered it.

The whole show was weak.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
ITA. That stunk from beginning to end. This was my first time watching American Idol this season. I couldn't believe the judges liked those performances. The only one I liked was the last singer who sang Dance with my Father.

Mathman:disagree:

The last singer was Scott - You must be kidding!!! I guess you have missed the previous shows. Scott should have been voted off by now. He has to go next!!!

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Well for me, the show gets mixed reviews:

1-Bo. He IS the rocker. No pretend. No nothing. And I love this song.
2-Vonzell. Despite the problems in the beginning, she had the hardest song and did well with it.
3-Anthony. I didn't like when Kelly Clarkson did this song but I do think she did justice to it. I thought Anthony did fairly well after he got out of the lower register.
4-Carrie. That song is strictly country rock-not "rock-a-billy". It's a fabulous Martina McBride song. I just think Carrie has a strong voice with no stage presence.
5-Constantine. This dude should go back to crooning. I've never really cared for his singing or mugging all the time so when he sang that Nickleback song, I was really turned off. Even worse than his Bohemian Rhapsody and I thought THAT was bad.
6-Scott. How dare he ruin one of my favorite Luther Vandross songs! If I was Luther, I'd get over there and b-slap the boy into next year and right off the show. And he was going to be a priest? In what lifetime? And I'm never going to Cleveland if I'd see 8 more million Scotts walking around.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Here are my thoughts:

1. Bo - something just seemed a little off last night and I don't know what. But it was still a great performance.
2. Anthony - right up there. I loved the song he did.
3. Vonzell - a typical Vonzell performance. That's a good thing.
4. Carrie - I give the #4 spot to Carrie over Constantine b/c she was clearly so much more comfortable last night than she has been in the past couple of weeks. However, I don't think she sang "all out" (I don't know if any of them did though). She could've chosen a better song. And I agree that she needs better stage presence.
5. Constantine - bleh! Bad song choice, bad vocals. I almost changed the channel and I never do that. I know how that song should have sounded and that was not it.
6. Scott - as far as the song goes itself, I have never really love loved it. I never really "got" why Luther Vandross did this song to begin with. Then I heard Richard Marx (one of my all time favorites) wrote it about his dad and then the song itself made sense. Still don't know why Richard chose Luther to sing it, but that's another story. Anyway, Scott was horrible last night. Ick!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I had a meeting last night and missed the entire show EXCEPT for Scott. (I forgot to ask my family to tape it.) Anyhow, don't throw tomatoes, but I thought Scott's rendition of that song was lovely and very moving. Personally, I do not like the original version at all but I did like Scott's. I must be hearing something that obviously no one else on this board is hearing! Oh, well! It's all a matter of varying tastes! :)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I, too, missed most of the show, only tuning in for the last 2 performances. But based on the clips they show at the end to review the phone numbers, I'm not sure I missed much, tho based on the clips I would say that Bo and Vonzell were easily the 2 best.

As far as what I did see -- Constantine was just highly mediocre at best. I find him to be highly overrated anyway, but this was his weakest performance in weeks. Not much energy, and it sounded like he was singing from his throat and out his nose at the same time. As far as Scott was concerned -- well, I'm not a huge fan of his, but then again from a pure VOCAL perspective, I do not find him nearly as bad as many others do. However -- last night, he was everything all his critics have been saying about him. Usually he can at very least hit high notes pretty well, but last night I don't think he could hit any kind of note whatsoever. Just out and out awful singing, and that "singing with your hands" routine was really annoying as well. I want to agree with Simon -- "Pack your suitcase" -- but it wouldn't surprise me if Anthony went before Scott, despite the fact that Anthony seems to be gaining confidence and vocal ability each week. Each season of AI seems to feature someone who stays in longer than they should (Jasmine, Nikki) and this year I think Scott's the man for that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bo Bice for American Idol 4 He was totally rocking last night. Granted I won't ever want his album as a rocker, but I think he's the best in the competition. His shirt was weird, but I loved his $6 shades!

Anthony Federov, however, stole the show. Where was this kid earlier??? Still looks too much like my 'friend' Derek (I don't know what we are, honestly, he never emails me back, I love his sisters brother and mom though) but he was just amazing this week. Very impressed. He's a new favorite, if he can sing like that from now on.

Carrie Underwood she's been my favorite from day one. That arrangement of the song sucked... she didn't do her best, but she is definitely the most comfy in country.

Constantine *gag* his stupid performance first singing second can go away. I wanted to do my own kicks, right up his crotch. Not impressed. Still he was more on pitch this week than he has been in weeks past.

Vonzelle Solomon I still don't get her, and that was an all over the place performance, and very forgetable.

Scott Savoll Have never been impressed. Good bye Scott.

I hope for the group song they perform SmashMouth's "Allstar" I think it'd fit the show ;) :rock:

Johar

Medalist
I like Constantine, but man, he bothed that Nickleback song so badly. He doesn't have the proper vocals to sing that sort of a song, but I give him props for singing something different.

Vonzell: I usually like her but her performance last night was forgettable.

Anthony: One of his best performances.

Scott: Please send him home! I never cared for him.

Carrie: Not one of her better performances. She and Constantine will need to rely on their fans to vote them into the next round.

Bo--rocked the house. Good stage presance. No problem going on this week.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
This show is officially crap. Constantine gone (yeah it wasn't a good performance), Vonzell in the bottom 3 and Scott not.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
That's what bothers me. I could care less if it was Constantine or Scott that went home tonight, but Scott should have been in the bottom 3 again. Man, did I see him point at himself when Ryan said who was with the right group? OMG, I just cannot abide people who are so "ate up" with themselves.

Well, at least Constantine is gone and it saves me from looking at him making crappy eyes at the camera. :rofl:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'll still watch, but the fun is gone for me now that Con is gone. I don't have any ill feelings towards the other contestants, but I thought he would make it to the top three at least. I am shocked. He may not have had the best vocals, but he was the one true "performer" in the group. I'd much rather see him in concert then a singer who just stands there and vocalizes. Ah well, such is life............ :p 42

lavender

Record Breaker
I agree show42. This show is getting boring by the minute. Now only Vonzell and Bo (the performers) are left. Who knows if Bo will last since he was in the bottom 3 and Constantine is gone before Scott and Anthony.