American Idol - Anyone Watching? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

American Idol - Anyone Watching?

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Ladskater said:
Let's just hope the Idol manufacturers don't assign this group of wannabees Led Zeppelin material. That would be a travesty.

Sssh! They might hear you!
"Idol manufacturers" was excellent terminology, BTW.
Next week, the contestants get to sing songs from Rod Stewart's "Great American Songbook". Yep, it's old standards night with an old standard. I'm picking up some Pepto!
Hope everyone has a nice Easter weekend.
xoxo
Rave

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
The only Idol contestant that pulled off a believable Queen performance was Elliiott Yamin. His vocals were the best and his delivery came across as pure and simple - no gimmicks. The rest were pretty awful.

Paris was horrible and weird as Simon said. Catharine McPhee attempted to sing "Who Wants to Live Forever". The only fantastic version of this song that I have heard other than Queen's is by Sarah Brightman. Mcphee is no Sarah Brightman. Taylor Hicks did a fifties version of a Queen song - wrong era. Bucky was well Bucky - country - oh boy. I thought Chris Daughrty would hit the mark, but I think he did not "get" the song. He pretty much murdered it. Kellie Pickler tried to belt out "Bohemian Rhapsody" - give me a break. Freddy Mercary must be rolling around in his grave by now. Let's just hope the Idol manufacturers don't assign this group of wannabees Led Zeppelin material. That would be a travesty.

I thought the Idols were supposed to make the songs their own, not recreate the original versions?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
I thought the Idols were supposed to make the songs their own, not recreate the original versions?

I was thinking the same thing Piel

Taylor and Bucky did the songs in their style... THAT is how Idol works... I don't want a carbon copy, thank you.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Also, the 50's and rockabilly, which I think Buck'ys rendition seemed more like than country, are certainly not insults to Queen's music. Who was one of Queen's main musical influences? The Beatles. Who were some of the Beatles influences? Elvis, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, and The Everly Brothers. There you go.

BTW, Jimmy Page lists Scotty Moore and James Burton both rockabilly guitarists who played with Elvis and The Everly Brothers as two of his earliest musical influences./

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
What is wrong with Simon??? Why is he so totally determined to have Katherine win? She is nothing special. At least tonight she didn't scream or go off key as she usually does. I think he must have the hots for her. I just don't see what he sees. She's just so cruise ship and all that fake smiling in the most inappropriate places in the song. Hello! Did you actually think about the words AT ALL? :p

This was such a pleasant show to watch :bow: , they all (except poor Kellie) did good jobs. I love Chris, and Paris has real star power--she's just 17! Loved when Taylor did Taylor. Ace looked great, sounded very good. Elliot, like the voice very much but if I close eyes when he sings, I won't be missing much. No personality at all--totally agree with Simon. Just loved the songs, all of them. :love:

raj_charm

Match Penalty
Piel said:
I wonder why she doesn't? I am also suspect of the girl who's dad is a senator. Could be a controversial year for AI.

Well yeah! But I really enjoy watching the show! (wonder why the show is the #1 show in the US)

The selection proccess is so funny!

mike79

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
What is wrong with Simon??? Why is he so totally determined to have Katherine win?

Simon hasn't been pushing for her to win at all. Earlier in the season he didn't list her among the best singers in the competition (he included Pickler in that group). Remember when he said he preferred Kellie to Carrie from last year?

The chosen ones this year have obviously been Chris and Kellie. What sucks about that is that Kellie can't sing and Chris is a one trick pony with a thin voice who sings garbage like Creed and Nickelback. I used to enjoy his singing but now I find him dull as can be.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I really don't think that Simon is pushing for Katherine to win either. I think that she has just been singing a bit better and I liked most of her performances lately. I did not enjoy Elliot. I don't like his singing at all and Kellie really did butcher the song. All in all last night I actually watched of all of their entire performances. For the Queen week I had to keep turning to another station.

I enjoy Rod too. I thought he really made them feel good about themselves. It will be interesting to see who goes this week. My prediction Elliot and Kellie in the bottom two. Til' tonight!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just because you don't like country it doesn't mean the singers are bad...

Kellie can sing, and she's as good if not better than Carrie from last season...

I do think that Simon is warming up to Katherine, but I think he's just buttering his bread in case she comes out and wins the whole thing.

I think this is the strongest group we've seen since season 2

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I totally enjoyed last night's show, even Taylor who is my least fav........I'm so afraid that Ace is going tonight...........42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Elliot's going tonight... unfortunately...

Ace... gag me... is safe for at least another week (Paula needs her boytoy lol)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Toni, really, you think so? As much as I like Ace, I think maybe I'd rather see him go than Elliott..........42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
unfortunately his looks will get him a few more votes... I think

but it's really a toss up between those two, IMHO

(now watch it be a bottom three of Chris, Taylor, and Kellie or something like that lol)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Nooooooooo.....My son would freak.....he's a huge fan of Chris.....:bow: 42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
SPOILER 4/19

Ace was sent home with Chris and Paris also in the bottom three. Next week will be Andrea Bocelli:love: . Idol is really stepping up the celebrities this season:agree: :agree: :agree: .

mike79

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
Just because you don't like country it doesn't mean the singers are bad...

Kellie can sing, and she's as good if not better than Carrie from last season...

I do think that Simon is warming up to Katherine, but I think he's just buttering his bread in case she comes out and wins the whole thing.

I think this is the strongest group we've seen since season 2

I completely agree about Simon warming up to Katharine with underlying motives. It seems like that's the way Simon works.

About Kellie, it's not that I don't enjoy country music. I actually watch Nashville Star every once in a while. I just don't think Kellie is very good at all. It seems like she's developed some sort of fan base from her naive schtick moreso than her vocal prowess. I would take Carrie over her any day of the week.

I'm really glad Ace left this week. It was about time after he had been in the bottom three several times already.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I honestly cannot believe that Chris and Paris--the best performers of the entire group--were in the bottom 3!!! After seeing Kellie's butchering of that beautiful song, maybe it really is a popularity contest rather than a singing contest. :p

Carrie is a MUCH better vocalist than Kellie. Kellie is getting by on her naive personality and her sob story background.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I hate women who act dumb trying to be cute and I hate country so she strikes out twice in my book. I am so glad Elliot gets a chance to do Bocelli night.

mike79

On the Ice
Piel said:
I hate women who act dumb trying to be cute and I hate country so she strikes out twice in my book. I am so glad Elliot gets a chance to do Bocelli night.

It's not actually Bocelli night; it's 'Classic Love Songs' night. It seems like a weird theme considering you could make a case that 75% of songs are love songs.

I would pay good money to hear the idols sing opera. Considering they couldn't handle Queen it would be the trainwreck of the century to see Kellie try to sing something like Nessun Dorma or Chris sing Besame Mucho! It would be the greatest night in television history.:agree:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Considering what sells in the Country market these days, Kellie could make a killing... and no I'm not voting for her because of a sob story - which hasn't been played up as much as Fantasia's "I'm a single mom who was beaten everyday" story was... I'm not slighting Fantasia's plight, I just don't understand why her story wasn't as critisized as Kellie's is... it's that annoying double standard

anyway back to the singing... I was totally joking earlier when I said Chris would be in the bottom three... so color me surprised...

yeay for Taylor being safe. He's definitely my AI this year :)