American Idol Feb. 24 | Golden Skate

American Idol Feb. 24

mike79

On the Ice
Alright, AI is back on track with a great show. Here's my rankings for the night:

1. Latoya (easily)
2. Leah
3. Amy
4. Elizabeth
5. Charly
6. Eric
7. Jon-Peter
8. Jonah (Horrible. I don't get why he made it through when Scooter Girl and George Huff didn't)

My predictions for final 3 are Latoya, Leah, and Amy with Latoya and Amy making it through.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'll get to see it... but I won't get to vote(I wont get to see all of it come to think of it...) I'm going to go see a sneak preview of The Passion of the Christ...

someone vote lots for Amy, Jon, and Elizibeth for me!

jenny12

Rinkside
Oh good, I'm on the west coast and was pretty worried after last week :eek: ! I didn't think Jonah should have made it after the first audition, let alone over scooter girl or some of the others. Who's George Huff? Was he the guy that sang the lovely rendition of "You Are So Beautiful"?

mike79

On the Ice
I'm not sure of any songs that he sang. He was the guy that the judges said looked too old, but he absolutely nailed every song he sang in the early auditions.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
jenny12 said:
Oh good, I'm on the west coast and was pretty worried after last week :eek: ! I didn't think Jonah should have made it after the first audition, let alone over scooter girl or some of the others. Who's George Huff? Was he the guy that sang the lovely rendition of "You Are So Beautiful"?

yes that was Mr. Huff

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Mike........right on, I totally agree with your ranking......almost
1. Latoya......wow, I was blown away. She has it all, an incredible voice, poise, beauty, personality and a wonderful song choice.
2. Leah......I love her voice, and I think Paula is right, the camera loves her and her voice has a nice smokey quality I like.
3. Amy...love her too, but she's gotta get rid of the pink hair...I wish she hadn't gone into a falsetto on her high notes...
4. Elizabeth...I thought she was good, her voice was on tune.....
5. Charly......She has a interesting style and delivery...not bad...
6. Jon....Okay voice.....not even close to Clay Aiken in any sense...he's very clean-cut, looks like he's right out of an all boy's school........(that's not bad)
7. Eric.......can you say "Elton-clone"....an okay performance, looked like he messed up a few of the words at the beginning....
8. Jonah........sorry pal, can you say "Alooooha".......42

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Latoya - beautiful voice, classy gal

Amy - great voice, liked her look - pink hair and all

Leah - good, but didn't grab me for some reason

John Peter/Charly/Elizabeth - liked them more in previous auditions

Eric - boring!

Jonah - great personality, but in the few times I've seen him, I haven't been impressed by his voice.

guinevere

Final Flight
Finally! American Idol has begun!!!!

Most people thought Group 1 was fantastic; I was pretty 'meh' about it. Last week was a disaster. This week, we could almost have been watching the top 8 perform! I think 5 of the 6 who don't move on should automatically be brought back to the Wild Card round (but I can only think of 1 or 2 who the judges might bring back).

I was at a class and was wathing on tape delay, which affected my voting abilities, unfortunately. My notes:

Elizabeth LeTendre "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" - started out with some off-key notes, but got much better as the song went on. To me, she sounded out of breath the whole time. I agreed with Simon: a good singer, a 'cheap' performance.

Eric Yoder aka Clay Fakin "In the Still of the Night" - I really love his voice, thought he did a great job with this song. I do agree with the judges that it's hard to see his personality. I also found it odd that, after talking so much about the need to present a non-Clay personality, Eric chose to wear a black t-shirt and jeans.

Amy Adams "Power of Love" - personality to spare! This was a great arrangement of a song I normally hate. Contrary to most contestants, I thought Amy started great and ended a bit weak. Amy doesn't have a lot of power in her upper register, which this song highlighted. The "high" note she hit at the end wasn't very high, but it sounded like a stretch for her. I do really like her as a performer, however. Nice dress!

Jon Peter Lewis "Tiny Dancer" This was the big disappointment of the night for me. I really liked him in the preview shows, but this was just a weird performance. What was up with the tone in his voice? It sounded like he was singing with an air bubble in his throat. There was also no 'punch' in the arrangement. He looked defeated in the Kiss n Cry with Ryan - I think the judges comments really got to him.

Charly Lowry "Chain of Fools" Another person I've been looking forward to seeing! Yikes, what's up with the '80s prom dress? I like Charly's voice a lot, and thought this was a good performance (even though she did one of my least favorite AI tricks - entreating the audience with a "C'mon!". At least she didn't say "C'mon y'all!"). When I was wathing this, it was 10:45 - I was afraid I would miss all of the voting time, so I voted for Charly about 15 times.

Jonah - I don't know the song he sang. It was very undynamic. I thought he did an ok job singing it, I guess, and it ended stronger than it began, but compared to the rest of the performances, this one was forgettable.

Leah Labelle some Whitney song I don't know - Seattle representin'! I love the smoky tone in her voice, although I thought the song was meh. I thought she gave a very mature performance, though (as opposed to say, Diana Degarmo, only 1 year younger), and was pleased that the judges said she was a star! It was right about 11pm when I saw this, I tried to call and only got a busy signal.

Latoya London "All By Myself" - LaToya was the only one I didn't remember at all from the earlier episodes. I was kind of relieved, to be honest, because this group had so many people I was rooting for and she was someone I didn't expect anything from. Song started and immediately I was drawn in by the quiet arrangement and her great control. The she opened it up and I just wrote down HOLY ____!! Before the judges said anything, I thought that was the best performance I'd seen this season at all - better than the precious 2 weeks, better than all of the preliminary auditions, her voice was amazing and her performance quality matched it. WOW. Unfortunately it was after 11 when I saw this so I couldn't vote for her. Fortunately, I think she'll get in without me ;)

My Rankings:

LaToya

-big gap-

Leah
Charly
Eric
Amy
Elizabeth
JP Lewis
Jonah

guinevere

guinevere

Final Flight
ps I'm really glad LaToya didn't wear the dress she held up during the fluff! The white outfit looked great on her!

Guinevere,
ITA with each and every one of your comments and your rankings. Except for Jonah--were the judges hoping for another Ruben because of his size? What was the deal there?--this group was a knock-out.
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ok call me weird... but I really really really liked JP Lewis tonight... way better than the "Oh baby give me one more chance" song he sang during the hollywood auditions...

I thought that his tone was interesting... with his huge fan base don't be surprised if he still makes it through....

Week 3 was a very good week except for Jonah...he may be a perfectly nice guy but he just doesn't "cut the mustard". It's a shame some of the people from week 3 didn't perform week 2, because, IMO, more than 2 from week 3 deserve the chance to go further.

I like both Eric and JonPeter's voices, but didn't like their performances...Eric does NOT show any personality in his performances, have to agree with the judges on that. Using a scale of 1-10, 10 being best, my opinions are:

Elizabeth--6
Eric--8
Amy--9
JonPeter--7
Charly--6
Jonah--5
Leah--8
LaToya--9.5

I think the top 3 will be LaToya, Leah and Amy, with LaToya going thru for sure....not sure who the 2nd one to go thru will be.

guinevere

Final Flight
Tonichelle, I think you may be right about Jon Peter's fan support. I don't know with all the great performances last night if he'll make it to the finals, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 3 tonight.

mike79

On the Ice
I think that Jon picked the wrong song for his voice. I thought he would dp much better, and it's obvious there is some talent there.

Well it's good that Latoya and Amy made it through. I was hoping Leah would make it, but I like Amy as well. Leah's almost a sure bet for the wildcard show after all of the judges' praise for her. You could see that she was devastated when they showed her crying. I can easily see Simon picking her as his selection for the top 12.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Well, I'm certainly glad about LaToya (although I just hate that name). She was really terrific. Her outfit, her hair, her demeanor--everything was great. As I have said before, Americans like their American Idols to be humble; La Toya fits that mold.

I liked Amy a lot, and I really could have gone either way between her and Leah. I agree that there is a really good chance that Simon will choose her as Wild Card, providing, of course that she gets selected for that show.

That Jon Peter was absolutely HORRIBLE. I think it's a total disgrace that he made it to the top 3. I didn't understand a single word he sang. But then again, as much as I love Elton John songs, I haven't understood a single word HE has sung in the past 20 years or so either. (I used to hold him up in my singing classes as the prime example of poor diction.)

Jonah had no business being in the top 32. He was awful in auditions.

Charly, Elizabeth, Eric were karaoke level.

HEY! NEWS FLASH! I see that George Huff is BACK--apparently replacing the guy who got arrested on a DUI today. Well, I have liked George Huff since the auditions, so I'm glad to see him. He certainly was more deserving than Jonah or Jon Peter or Eric or those twins from last week.

guinevere

Final Flight
I was just coming on to post that George Huff was listed as one of the contestants for next week, and wondered what had happened. I haven't heard anything about a DUI, but I'm so happy for George!!! The only other person from that group I remember at all is the crooner.

YAY GEORGE!!! Five bucks says he blows everyone away next week.

I felt bad for Leah - I hope they do bring her back for the Wild Card.

guinevere

Kasey

Medalist
Wow! I was working and didn't get to see it until I came home Wed morning.....Latoya, WOW! I think she was the best female performer they've had in all three seasons so far! (Although Tamyra Gray's "A House is not a Home" came close). I hadn't been bothering to tape it during the early auditions, and missed the first week of 8. Last week was MISERABLE to watch...I almost didn't tape it this week. I'm so glad I did! That girl is something special!

Oh yeah, I liked Leah and Amy too. I see Leah getting through as maybe a judges pick to the next round.

Kasey

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I've heard a lot of AI fans say they didn't like Leah because she seems a bit too full of herself. I wonder if she got a lot of votes since she wasn't even in the top 3. I liked the 2 girls who made it to the next round very much. I don't like the 1 guy who made it through so far (the big guy with goatee) he was going on about his mother's cancer and I think he did it for sympathy votes.
i kind of liked the pen salesman who sang "tiny dancer" but not enough to want to have to listen to him every week so I'm glad he's not in the top 10.