American Idol Songs That Should Not Be Touched | Golden Skate

American Idol Songs That Should Not Be Touched

mike79

On the Ice
Here's a list of songs that I never want to hear anyone on AI sing again because someone else has already done it so well:

Kelly Clarkson: Without You, Stuff Like That There, Think Twice, Natural Woman

Ruben Studdard: A Whole New World, Breaking Up is Hard to Do

Clay Aiken: Bridge Over Troubled Water, Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

Tamyra Gray: A House is Not a Home, Minnie the Moocher

Kim Locke: New York State of Mind

Rickey Smith: Endless Love

Trenyce: Let's Stay Together

For Canadian Idol fans:

Audrey de Montigny: Angel, Reflection, Turn Me On

Billy Klippert: Levon (He really should have won this competition)

Ryan Malcolm: Try

Jenny Gear: Rocketman, Summertime

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Clay Aiken -- EVERY SONG HE SANG SHOULD NEVER EVER BE USED AGAIN... save for Vincent :laugh: it's, I think, very stupid as Jasmine proved... Clay fans(most anyway) are very unforgiving

Ruben: Superstar

Kelly: ITA Mike :)

Josh: Amazed, I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing

JOHN STEVENS: Always A Woman To Me, King Of The Road

JPL: Little Less Conversation(actually he should not have even used it LOL that's just a really dumb song :laugh: BUT IT WORKS WITH HOT SKATER GUYS!)

guinevere

Final Flight
The only song I feel is "sacred" based on a former AI contestant's rendition is "A House is Not a Home". No one will ever top Tamyra's rendition - I don't think even she could top the performance she gave that night!

There are several other songs that I identify with a particular AI contestant, but those songs should only be avoided by singers who have a remotely similar style. For instance, Jasmine singing DLTSGDOM didn't bother me, because there was no way to even compare it to Clay's version. But if JPL had chosen it, I think it would be hard not to remember Clay's version the previous season.

guinevere

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Mike, I totally agree with your thoughts on Billy. Did you know that he is coming out with a cd next month. I can't wait for that one. I hope it will be a lot better than the crappy Ryan Malcolm cd that

Kasey

Medalist
To me, the only two songs that are sealed away are "Bridge over troubled water" for Clay, and of course, "A house is not a home" for Tamyra. Close to that would be "Without you" by LaToya. I think those are the only "untouchables" right now. Funny though, someone else did "A house is not a home" last season (Ruben??), and I thought, nope, that's terrible, pathetic, etc! I don't think I would feel that way about any other songs except "Bridge".

Kasey

mike79

On the Ice
Kara, I had heard something about it. Is it just Billy or is he releasing the CD with his band?

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Billy and his band, Kovered in lies, have already or are releasing a cd really shortly. I found a bunch of their songs on Kazaa. :D The cd coming out in may is a solo album. I can't wait to get it! I found the bands music a little too hard for my tastes.

mike79

On the Ice
I've heard a couple of the band's songs. I thought they were pretty tight.

It would be awesome if he would do Levon on his CD. His version is better than Elton's!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
mike79:

I second that motion. Especially "Bridge Over Trouble Water" - S&G - how could that be topped? Anyone else singing it would be a sacrilege!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I didn't start watching regularly until into the second season but I think that Clay's "Unchained Melody" would be pretty hard to top.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Hey Mike, I just heard that Billy's first single is Levon and its hitting the radio stations next week! I am so excited!!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Piel:

I think the Righteous Brothers original recording already "topped" it!!!

Becca84

Rinkside
I think this season they proved that most Elton John songs shouldn't be touched! It's also hard for anyone to try songs by Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, & Josh Groban! & as a Clay fan, I'm partial to his versions of the songs he sang...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think the Righteous Brothers original recording already "topped" it!!!

LOL Well that's a given. I thought the thread was about songs that had been done so well by an AI contestant that future AI contestants shouldn't attempt them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
LOL Well that's a given. I thought the thread was about songs that had been done so well by an AI contestant that future AI contestants shouldn't attempt them.

It is... it's just a lot of non AI fans(not saying anyone on this thread is)/watchers think it's sacreligious that they have them sing songs done by the "real stars".... personally I think some of the singers topped the original songs!

Aloft04

On the Ice
I'm no Fantasia fan, but (as Dick Button would say) - my hat's off to her - for her rendition of "Summertime". I think that song may be 'untouchable' in my mind due to that performance.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Did you notice she put her "yeah yeah yeah" thing in the song? I caught it the second time... so lame.