American TV Alert: Next 3 GP events to be shown on ABC instead of ESPN | Page 3 | Golden Skate

American TV Alert: Next 3 GP events to be shown on ABC instead of ESPN

Tinaturtle

Spectator
lucky you i am in california and according to my tvguide channel, COC will not be showing until 1:05 to 3:05 AM

R.D.

Record Breaker
damn...now I think I understand why many posters preferred that the coverage stay on ESPN...

The Men's Free skate is currently on.

R.D.

Record Breaker
they just showed Emily Hughes' short program and are switching back to the pairs free skate.

R.D.

Record Breaker
man, I feel sorry for those on the WC. Here in Baltimore (and in Houston when I was there) they were always good about showing skating at its scheduled time.

They showed a couple of dance routines and now are switching to the ladies free skate.

R.D.

Record Breaker
wow, I never expected this but they showed a Chinese unknown- I think her name is Binshu Xu or something.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Showed Hughes' long program, the usual interview with Hughes, and with that ends the broadcast.

Oh yeah, TEB next Sunday at 1:30pm ET.

Binshu Xu is not exactly unknown (I know, Terry and Peter said she was). She is the two-time (2004 and 2006) Chinese national champion, she was in the senior grand prix last year and the year before that she was in the junior GP final.

R.D.

Record Breaker
thanks MM for the "fast facts". My stupid vid capture program froze a couple times during the broadcast so I hope no frames have been skipped.
203674.gif
Oh well.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Binshu Xu is not exactly unknown (I know, Terry and Peter said she was). She is the two-time (2004 and 2006) Chinese national champion, she was in the senior grand prix last year and the year before that she was in the junior GP final.

This season is her senior debut.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
thanks MM for the "fast facts". My stupid vid capture program froze a couple times during the broadcast so I hope no frames have been skipped.

Mine did once too, right as Kimmie Started her LP, when did yours???

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist

I like her a lot. I see a Mao Asada/Yu-Na Kim in her if she would just get her jumps consistant. She reminds me a lot of both of those ladies and I think she has great potential. If she would have just skated a clean performance I feel that she would have been able to challenge for a medal, quite possibly gold because no one was really clean in China.

If everyone that was shown in the coverage had been clean I think it would have been 1.) Emily Hughes 2.) Julia Sebestyen 3.) Binshu Xu 4.) Yukari Nakano

Sorry but I can't stand Yukari's leg wrap and there is no way she should make the podium when everyone else is clean with that poor technique. I don't understand....how long has this girl been on the skating scene? Does she not have anyone involved with her career that wants to work with her to change this defect? I just don't see how Yukari and her coaches can know about the leg wrap and still let it continue competition after competition well into her senior debut. Peggy was right when she said that this would eventually be Yukari's downfall especially when everyone else is putting out clean programs. If she would just fix this issue I'm sure she would be a lovely competitor.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mine did once too, right as Kimmie Started her LP, when did yours???

Kimmie?? Were we watching the same broadcast?

I suppose you mean Emily, in which case that's EXACTLY when it happened (I think in the middle of her program). It also happened during her short program (maybe it doesn't like her or something :laugh: ) at the very beginning. Luckily I didn't experience a skip when I played it back.

I'm using x264 to encode these videos...look for a thread in the Cafe on this later on. Quality is the best I've ever seen.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kimmie?? Were we watching the same broadcast?

I suppose you mean Emily, in which case that's EXACTLY when it happened (I think in the middle of her program).

I did, Emily:banging: - I still call her Emmy, I shouldn't do that.

Funny we had the same issue during her??

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think MM wanted comments about the competition itself in the event folder. But this thread can be for notes about the broadcast times, etc.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Missed part of the China Cup, thanks to my local TV guide telling me that poker was on......
Yes, POKER !!!!????????????
Just when you thought watching Golf on TV was the absolutely most hopelessly boring and pointless thing anyone could do.........
Since I don't get ESPN (don't watch enough TV to justify the extra $ 30 a month or so), any skating coverage on over-the-air TV is great, I just wish they'd show some of the 'lesser' skaters as well, in Europe, you usually get to see the entire competition, including the guy from Outer Mongolia who ends up 23rd of 23.......

Here, we only get to see who wins and the Americans, so it's sometimes really hard to get a handle on comparisons.