And if Stephane Lambiel came back? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

And if Stephane Lambiel came back?

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
In the first few years of CoP, I remember the Eurosport broadcasters would get really frustrated about the way the system rewards intricacy (which is good) but in doing so sacrificed speed - which is bad. Is doing intricate steps slowly better/harder than doing somewhat easier footwork but doing it fast?

I watched the Eurosport version of Grushina/Goncharov's FD in Turin. They did mention how it was really difficult but very very slow accross the ice, because the footwork and the changes in hold were simply too complex. At the end of the day, no one is going to say such skaters did not deserve the marks or the medals, but the spectators and maybe even the judges would probably be bored to death if all the skaters were like that.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
At the end of the day, no one is going to say such skaters did not deserve the marks or the medals, but the spectators and maybe even the judges would probably be bored to death if all the skaters were like that.
shine said:
I think CoP does a very good job at rewarding techinical difficulty, but not so much the entertainment/inventiveness of choreography.
I agree, which is why I hope the ISU will look into the possiblity of having different ways for skaters to get high levels. I'd rather not try to combine CoP with 6.0... :)

Fashionista

On the Ice
Isnt it 3 times a day a lot?Or it is not three times on ice?
Only two are on ice, the third is in gym.

Ohh that spin, well me i dont like Cop for that reason, it makes people calculate their moves to add points against their potentials, with his multi surgered knees me i prefer healthy plush with no sit spin!
At the end of the video he's complaining about new system that makes him sit in the sit spin:rock: "It's terrible. But what can we do?"

antmanb

Record Breaker
In the first few years of CoP, I remember the Eurosport broadcasters would get really frustrated about the way the system rewards intricacy (which is good) but in doing so sacrificed speed - which is bad. Is doing intricate steps slowly better/harder than doing somewhat easier footwork but doing it fast? Personally, I want to see different approaches to step sequences and to program construction, and I don't see how the judging as currently set up promotes that.

I believe there should be several different ways to get high levels rather than a single checklist (I imagine it something like this: flail arms - check; bend down and say hi to the ice - check; high-kick like a cheerleader -check). Either have that, or judge spins and footwork using GOEs only. As it is, the step sequences are getting boring, and the spins are just ugly.

Or even better - if the judges actually gave proper GOE for hard elements done poorly. A step sequence that slows to a crawl, kicks up a bunch of snow on complicated turns (only a handful of skaters seem actually capable of executing loops without scraping and kicking up snow to waist height) and features trips and stumbles IMO contains more than enough errors and should be given -3 on the GOE. If enough skaters get hammered in this way, then only the ones who can actually execute the difficult footwork will try it.

Ant

elanna

Rinkside
I`d like to say about Yagudin`s 1 level footworks. I think it`s no use to discuss what level at COP his elements would be. I`m sure that if he were healthy now and would decide to skate at the 2010 Vancouver Games, he, of course, would be trained by TARASOVA. And, no doubt, she would try her best to bring his levels up to such a height that would be needed another, the fifth, level:agree:. Just remember Kulik at the 1998 Olys, himself at the 2002!:) And he, being a real fighter and immensely talented skater, would really skate in such a way that it would be remembered/admired/discussed at least another decade! But he is not healthy, and so if Lambiel really comes back, if Takahashi/Joubert/Oda/Kozuka are ready to fight it will be twice as good! Good luck and the very best wishes to all of them at the Vancouver!:clap::bow:

Last edited:
^^Geez, can you even see us mere mortals from that high horse of yours?
Can you even see that all the tricks including footwork were done years and years ago? That's why there are no bonuses. Nothing is new but maybe for you who has the all those specious comments.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Can you even see that all the tricks including footwork were done years and years ago? That's why there are no bonuses. Nothing is new but maybe for you who has the all those specious comments.
That's an insult, right? I am at the library, I don't have a dictionary here. What does specious mean? Or am I better off not knowing?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Not really if you're born with it:)

It looks/ sounds fascinating difficult language to read/listen although we sort of have same cyrilic based alphabet ;)
Is plush supported in russia?last time i heard public was not so happy for him for not coming back and all his outside the rink adventures..kind of unfair to me..and what is klimkin doing?Has he officially (like officially, not like plush;)) retired?He used to be one of my favs:)

Whats the verge point that you become old fan instead of new fan to skating?You usually start to get interested and root skaters that you grow up with them once you commence watching fs, all the previous ones you can watch in videos but you were not there..I would know nothing before Kulik and Lipinski if it wasnt Youtube. And them, i saw them once (olympics) and then they retired:cool:

Eurofan

On the Ice
That's an insult, right? I am at the library, I don't have a dictionary here. What does specious mean? Or am I better off not knowing?

Specious: Seemingly fair, attractive, sound, or true, but not actually so; deceptive.

Since "specious" doesn't apply to the comment he quotes, Joe probably means "facetious." Apparently he doesn't have access to a dictionary, either.

Last edited:

Fashionista

On the Ice
Is plush supported in russia?last time i heard public was not so happy for him for not coming back and all his outside the rink adventures..
Yes, the public is annoyed by him as a media hero and his relations with Bilan's producer, all these speculations on the story with her recent divorce and children... But it still loves him as an athlete and performer and the rink is always packed on his shows.

and what is klimkin doing?Has he officially (like officially, not like plush;)) retired?He used to be one of my favs:)
Yes, Klimkin officially retired last spring if I'm not mistaken. He skates in Averbukh's shows and in the ice ballet Sleeping Beauty.

Whats the verge point that you become old fan instead of new fan to skating?You usually start to get interested and root skaters that you grow up with them once you commence watching fs, all the previous ones you can watch in videos but you were not there..
The same has happened to me:agree:

I took what you said to me as an insult and that you started it. I would prefer you PM me with this sort of thing.

specious means seemingly correct.