Wrecked skates | Golden Skate

Wrecked skates

silverlily1

On the Ice
I want to get my (2-month-old) skates sharpened somewhere I haven't been before, based on a recommendation and the usual sharpener not being available.

While there, I asked about solutions for the back of my heel rubbing.

The guy heated my Risport boots (while telling my Risports aren't meant to be heat molded the way Jacksons are but they can handle it a little bit) and pulled the heel and ankle wide while the boots were hot, deforming the shaping in that area. I have narrow heels. Then he tied the boots so tightly onto my feet that I instantly lost circulation, and told me to let them cool before moving. Then when I said that they didn't fit my heels and ankles anymore when tied normally (which also now cut off my circulation), he heated the boots again and said they would go back (while saying the internal padding shaping would not go back). He then held them smaller around the ankles as they cooled. They didn't go back. He heated them again and clamped them smaller. Still didn't work. That's three times baked.

That still having failed, he started trying to spot heat the boots and clamp spots I tried to identify as being places that could potentially hold my heel in place if compressed. My heel no longer slips side-to-side as it did after he first stretched and deformed my boots, but still lifts quite considerably. They are NOT okay. And adding bunga pads now increases slipping rather than reducing it. The boot has lost a lot of structural integrity as well. And there are clamp marks on the outside of the boots.

After 3.5 hours and a very difficult conversation in which he tried to throw me out once I shared how upset I was and that I expected him to make it right (and blame me and claim he did nothing wrong, and say I just came in with poorly fitting skates and wanted to put him on the hook to buy me new skates - even though they're new and he measured my feet and agreed they were a good size and I just wanted him to replace exactly what he damaged with the same but not damaged), and shared how I'd been communicating with my coach during part of the time we were going through all this (and that she very much did not agree with his actions as appropriate to the problem I walked in with), he finally agreed to order me new boots and ship them to me. He said he would expect me to ship him the current, damaged boots, when I got the new ones, and I agreed.

But in the meantime I have to somehow make these boots work for a competition on Saturday and potentially another one in three weeks, plus all the practices in between. They no longer fit right. But they're all I have until then. Any suggestions to somehow keep myself safe in them temporarily?

My coach also suggested contacting Risport in the meantime, but I'm not sure what to ask/how they can help.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
My coach also suggested contacting Risport in the meantime, but I'm not sure what to ask/how they can help.
They can at least verify that their boots are indeed heat moldable. (I wear Risports myself.) And if he's a dealer, they should know that their products are being vandalised. What a nightmare! I hope he at least did a decent sharpening job on the blades!

silverlily1

On the Ice
I just missed the first competition. I'm devastated. Everyone keeps telling me to hold him accountable for everything he ruined, but since I didn't notice the blades until after skating on them four days later, and I'm so afraid he won't even follow through on replacing the boots, I don't know what to do. I'm losing so much for every day that goes by and I can't stop crying out of the blue.

I called the one place I do still trust and he said he can re-profile the blades. And yet now I'm crying again. I am so lost.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I just missed the first competition. I'm devastated. Everyone keeps telling me to hold him accountable for everything he ruined, but since I didn't notice the blades until after skating on them four days later, and I'm so afraid he won't even follow through on replacing the boots, I don't know what to do. I'm losing so much for every day that goes by and I can't stop crying out of the blue.

I called the one place I do still trust and he said he can re-profile the blades. And yet now I'm crying again. I am so lost.
When you (or your coach) withdrew from the first competition, did you give the reason? I would say something non-inflammatory, i.e. not naming names for legal reasons, but that you were forced to withdraw because you had taken your skates to a shop in [location] for sharpening on [date] and your equipment, both boots and blades, was damaged beyond use by an employee there. You never know when that might catch the eye of someone influential, they might ask which shop specifically, and there might be at the very least some bad publicity for the shop that might get you new equipment and better treatment faster. It's not much, but you'd feel you had done something to fight back. I'm so sorry this happened.