Another "doom and gloom" article re. the Olympics | Golden Skate

Another "doom and gloom" article re. the Olympics

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Interesting -- most people think Michelle is a lock for the team, and the writer of this article isn't sure that she will make it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Interesting -- most people think Michelle is a lock for the team, and the writer of this article isn't sure that she will make it.

I think what he might mean by that is that it's not certain whether MK will RECOVER in time to skate at Nats, and therefore compete for a spot on the team.

And interesting that Cohen "plans" to compete at TEB. I wonder if/when she actually said this. I thought at this point she'd just skip it. (She really shouldn't though.)

mzheng

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
All depends on the outcome from Nationals. IMO.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The always-a-bridesmaid Sasha Cohen is dealing with hip and back injuries.
Can anyone tell me what this is supposed to mean??

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Can anyone tell me what this is supposed to mean??

Dee

In other words, she always comes in 2nd to Kwan- therefore the term "bridesmaid"

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
In other words, she always comes in 2nd to Kwan- therefore the term "bridesmaid"
That's what I thought it meant and it was very mean of the writer to write that. What about Kwan always coming in 2nd or 3rd at the Olympics, so does that make her a bridesmaid too???

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think the term is offensive at all. I don't particularly like it, but I don't think it's offensive either. Maybe the WAY in which he stated it wasn't in necessarily the nicest tone, though.

S

SkateFan4Life

While Michelle has been a "bridesmaid" at some major competitions - second at the 1998 Olympics, 3rd at the 2002 Olympics, second and/or third at several Worlds and 2nd at two US nationals - she has also been the "bride" - nine US titles, and five World titles.

Sasha has won some Grand Prix events that have been contested with weak fields, but she has yet to win a US or World title. She has finished second to Kwan at four US nationals and has won the silver at the last two Worlds. Hence, the "bridesmaid" title. Will she shake this off next season? Only time will tell.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I agree SkateFan4Life. Sasha is a very good skater, with some exquisite qualities, and her record of many U.S silvers, two straight World silvers, preceded by multiple World/Olympics 4ths, many GP event wins, and the lone GP final win, is nothing to sneeze at. Still in the biggest events she is the perennial bridesmaid. She does not seem to grasp the concept that doing a clean long program is required to win the biggest events these days, it not the early-mid 90s anymore. There has not been a World/Olympic event in the last 10 years, except for the watered down 98 Worlds won by Michelle Kwan without a clean long program, that has been won with anything less than a completely clean long program. As for the U.S nationals usualy Kwan is spectacular though, and a less-then-clean performance gives one no chance of victory.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She does not seem to grasp the concept that doing a clean long program is required to win the biggest events these days, it not the early-mid 90s anymore.

Oh come on, what is this? I think she does. She just hasn't been able to follow up