Any coaching change for mao after worlds? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Any coaching change for mao after worlds?

miki88

Medalist
maybe he was going to go to 4cc but since Mao decided to stay in Japan to train for a few months and Arutunian needed to get new students to make living? I have taken lessons and I know the coaches don't make that much money. Maybe that's why he didn't want to go to 4CC and lose his students? Maybe he already knew Mao and her family planned to go back to Japan sooner after because the new ice rink was ready? I don't know her side or his side but you are not hearing the whole story from one side for sure. All I am saying is that Mao was magical when she was with him. I would love to see "her" again!

Maybe. I agree she was great when she was with him, but one thing he didn't do for her was to correct her flutz, which could have helped much if she started doing that earlier.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Yuna retires maybe Mao can go to Brian Orser? Kidding :laugh:

Um but yeah, I think Mao wants to stay in Japan, I know Miki and Oda train under Morozov but who are the coaches of Akiko, Takahiko, Daisuke, and Kanako? Those skaters all seem to be doing very well!

miki88

Medalist
Kanako has Mao's former coach Machiko, who doesn't teach the cleanest techniques to her students. Kanako flutzes too. Maybe Mao can go train with Boitano, because that will totally irk Orser a lot. :laugh:

Moxie

On the Ice
Kanako has Mao's former coach Machiko, who doesn't teach the cleanest techniques to her students. Kanako flutzes too. Maybe Mao can go train with Boitano, because that will totally irk Orser a lot. :laugh:

Not to mention the legwraps. x_x
If I were a skater, I would go to her solely for the 3A and nothing else. Hey, maybe Orser and Machiko can start a "student-exchange program" for the summer.:laugh:

sleepymom

Rinkside
Not to mention the legwraps. x_x
If I were a skater, I would go to her solely for the 3A and nothing else. Hey, maybe Orser and Machiko can start a "student-exchange program" for the summer.:laugh:

Uhm.. considering Orser is known as "Mr. Triple Axel" I doubt his kids need to go find a teacher for 3A. I mean, didn't Stephane come to Toronto for 3A some times ago, and didn't Adam's 3A get much better under Orser?

For Mao, I heard that rumor that Akiko's coach Mr. Nagakubo trained Mao after 4cc - and that's why Akiko trained in Japan until 20th -, and Mao's 3A success rate got much better shortly. Maybe answer's there.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mao needs a coach or team around her who undertsands the best way to maximize her talents under the CoP. She clearly does not have that now.

Yuna has Orser and Wilson making sure her programs are scoring as many points as possible.
Mao apparently has her mother and one of Tat's assistants helping her part time.

Game, set and match to Yuna.

I was reading some comments from Orser this morning. He said Mao is a brilliant skater but she is not working the CoP as good as she could.

What Mao needs is a strong technical coach and some CoP friendly choreo - Lori would be a good bet for her. Tat is great but 6.0 era is over.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
☆Genie;481211 said:
But then Lori Nichol will have to move to Japan, something that is highly unlikely to happen.

No, Mao would have to go to the choreographer - same as every other skater does. Or Mao coud use a top Japanese choreographer if it is too inconvenient to her lifestyle to go to Lori.

Moxie

On the Ice
Uhm.. considering Orser is known as "Mr. Triple Axel" I doubt his kids need to go find a teacher for 3A. I mean, didn't Stephane come to Toronto for 3A some times ago, and didn't Adam's 3A get much better under Orser?

For Mao, I heard that rumor that Akiko's coach Mr. Nagakubo trained Mao after 4cc - and that's why Akiko trained in Japan until 20th -, and Mao's 3A success rate got much better shortly. Maybe answer's there.

Oh right. I forgot about that.:agree:

So she actually went? I remember reading that he offered, but she strikes me as a bit stubborn so I didn't think she'd accept. It would make sense. Her 3A looks so much cleaner now.

sleepymom

Rinkside

So she actually went? I remember reading that he offered, but she strikes me as a bit stubborn so I didn't think she'd accept. It would make sense. Her 3A looks so much cleaner now.

Sorry, honestly, I don't know. The source wasn't so refutable, like they read it from some Japan board, etc.. so it's a rumor. But I gave it a bit of credence because she got better.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Love that old coach! He's adorable

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Mr Nagakubo I'd say! He's like the Japanese equivalent of Arutunian in that he seems like a good 'father figure' and a superb jumping coach. And look what he's done to Akiko and her PCS-savvy programmes. Oh and he's the skating father of Shizuka and Takeshi.

The supposed Russian political influence of Tarasova is severely overrated I think. Remember Shizuka in '04 Moscow Worlds? All TT could do was look angry with the scores in Kiss and Cry! :p

☆Genie

Rinkside
No, Mao would have to go to the choreographer - same as every other skater does. Or Mao coud use a top Japanese choreographer if it is too inconvenient to her lifestyle to go to Lori.

Oh I thought you were talking about Lori Nichol as her COACH, sorry. A change is what Mao needs.

janetfan

Match Penalty
☆Genie;481241 said:
Oh I thought you were talking about Lori Nichol as her COACH, sorry. A change is what Mao needs.

I agree with hikki's last post.
As to Mao's choreo and program, Mao could have been perfect and Yuna could have made a mistake and would still have won easily.

My point was that Mao needs much better CoP strategy. Look at who won the medals in Vancouver and you will see it was mostly Canadian choreo and not Russian.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Mao needs a coach or team around her who undertsands the best way to maximize her talents under the CoP. She clearly does not have that now.

Yuna has Orser and Wilson making sure her programs are scoring as many points as possible.
Mao apparently has her mother and one of Tat's assistants helping her part time.

Game, set and match to Yuna.

I was reading some comments from Orser this morning. He said Mao is a brilliant skater but she is not working the CoP as good as she could.

What Mao needs is a strong technical coach and some CoP friendly choreo - Lori would be a good bet for her. Tat is great but 6.0 era is over.

I think that TAT maybe could be fine with the right kind of programs. It sounds like it was Mao that wanted the heavy programs. Her short program that Tarasova did two years ago was great. However, what Mao mainly needs is a technical coach who can direct her practices and help her get her jumps better. Yu-na won this with the coaching situation.

Akiko's coach sounds like a very good idea because he's a strong technical coach it seems, and he's in Japan. IF Mao is happiest in Japan, than really that's where should she stay.

Mao's whole situation for the past two years reminded me of Michelle Kwan circa 2002.

Bennett

Record Breaker
☆Genie;481278 said:
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/olympic/news/2010/02/28/01.html

"Tat's contract with Mao was renewed - this time as a choreographer and "head director," if you will, of Team Mao. A rinkside coach - most likely a Japanese coach situated in Nagoya - will join Mao's team as well. The article didn't mention Shanetta/Zhanna-sensei, interestingly."
Credits: clovera@http://maoasada.logu2.com

Why don't they use TAT just as a chorepgrapher? It doesn't make sense to have a head director abroad. If she is going to be the one holds the final responsibility, she should be in Japan or Mao should be in Russia. I think it rather impolite to the full time coach to have someone called "head" other than yourself, especially if she is so far away incapable of day-to-day communication. Without Zhanna, TAT has almost nothing to do with their day-to-day practices. I think that the sittuation continues in which no one engages in her total packaging.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Why don't they use TAT just as a chorepgrapher? It doesn't make sense to have a head director abroad. If she is going to be the one holds the final responsibility, she should be in Japan or Mao should be in Russia. I think it rather impolite to the full time coach to have someone called "head" other than yourself, especially if she is so far away incapable of day-to-day communication. Without Zhanna, TAT has almost nothing to do with their day-to-day practices. I think that the sittuation continues in which no one engages in her total packaging.

What makes no sense and shows that they aren't thinking is the fact that the next Olympics will be in Russia. And there are quite a few young Russian skaters who are coming up who are quite talented. Including a young girl Tarosova works with. However I think Mao's biggest issues are technical, and perhaps this time Mao will go for a different style program wise.

☆Genie

Rinkside
What makes no sense and shows that they aren't thinking is the fact that the next Olympics will be in Russia. And there are quite a few young Russian skaters who are coming up who are quite talented. Including a young girl Tarosova works with. However I think Mao's biggest issues are technical, and perhaps this time Mao will go for a different style program wise.

Wow, I always like the girls from Russia. Any names? Thanks.

miki88

Medalist
I think it's okay as long as the new technical coach is a strong one. TAT is capable of choreographing good programs.