Anyone been to Ryabinin camps? | Golden Skate

Anyone been to Ryabinin camps?

LutzH8ter

Spectator
I’ve been considering Attending Ryabinin Skate camp in the Czech Republic, run by Alexander Ryabinin and other Russian coaches.
I’d really appreciate hearing people’s opinions on the camp or if they’d recommend another instead? Thanks!

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
Yes, I loved it! I was at a very low level and I got a lot of ice time. In my camp, there were very small groups but I think this was an anomaly because it was the first camp they offered at a new location. I went to the recommended hotel, very close to the rink and it was easy. We all had breakfast together and I walked with a coach to the rink. I paid extra for the stretch classes, they were amazing.

I really struggled with the off ice classes and skipped most of them. They were very challenging and I am injury prone (foot stress fractures). I went some days to the off ice classes and just did what I could or left early depending on how my body felt. I've been to 2 other camps since then and I would choose the Ryabinin camps as my next one if it lined up with my work schedule.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Yes, I loved it! I was at a very low level and I got a lot of ice time. In my camp, there were very small groups but I think this was an anomaly because it was the first camp they offered at a new location. I went to the recommended hotel, very close to the rink and it was easy. We all had breakfast together and I walked with a coach to the rink. I paid extra for the stretch classes, they were amazing.

I really struggled with the off ice classes and skipped most of them. They were very challenging and I am injury prone (foot stress fractures). I went some days to the off ice classes and just did what I could or left early depending on how my body felt. I've been to 2 other camps since then and I would choose the Ryabinin camps as my next one if it lined up with my work schedule.
Thank you very much for your review!

I posted asking about adult camps a few months back and someone mentioned they didn't like this camp, but since then more people I've spoken with have gone, really loved it and I've decided to attend it some time in the future. The location they offer looks good and so does everything that is included

LutzH8ter

Spectator
Thank you very much for your review!

I posted asking about adult camps a few months back and someone mentioned they didn't like this camp, but since then more people I've spoken with have gone, really loved it and I've decided to attend it some time in the future. The location they offer looks good and so does everything that is included
That’s good to hear! I saw the post you mentioned (crowded ice, strange teaching methods) so I’m glad to hear people you know have enjoyed it! Is there anything in particular they’ve mentioned (eg good group sizes etc). Thanks so much for your reply!

LutzH8ter

Spectator

The off ice definitely looks intense from the videos I’ve seen!!

I’m relieved to hear you enjoyed it so much (the only other review I could find was very negative), did you see any of the sessions of people doing doubles etc? I really appreciate you input, thanks for the reply!

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
That’s good to hear! I saw the post you mentioned (crowded ice, strange teaching methods) so I’m glad to hear people you know have enjoyed it! Is there anything in particular they’ve mentioned (eg good group sizes etc). Thanks so much for your reply!
I spoke with some skaters I met in a rink I visited in another city, the subject of camps came up, I asked if they had gone to any camps and 2 of them from this group mentioned going to Ryabinin camps. They thought the coaches were very kind, good at teaching/explaining and paying individual attention to each skater even in the group sessions. They also mentioned they found the camp very well organized and they felt supported about what to do, where to go, the location & ice rink were beautiful and both felt they improved and want to go again.

After that feedback, it seems like something I'd enjoy too. They offer them in Czechia, Austria, Belgium and Italy, and I will probably choose one we (yes, I'd like my husband to travel with me) can go during the Winter and close to a ski area, so my skier husband can go skiing while I attend the camp. Probably Winter 2024/2025. I saw your post and someone else replied to you with another positive review, so I'm convinced even more. Of course it;s impossible to please everyone and some might not like, but I agree with someone who say above, the only way to exactly find out is to go ourselves. Hopefully we love it too :)

LutzH8ter

Spectator
I spoke with some skaters I met in a rink I visited in another city, the subject of camps came up, I asked if they had gone to any camps and 2 of them from this group mentioned going to Ryabinin camps. They thought the coaches were very kind, good at teaching/explaining and paying individual attention to each skater even in the group sessions. They also mentioned they found the camp very well organized and they felt supported about what to do, where to go, the location & ice rink were beautiful and both felt they improved and want to go again.

After that feedback, it seems like something I'd enjoy too. They offer them in Czechia, Austria, Belgium and Italy, and I will probably choose one we (yes, I'd like my husband to travel with me) can go during the Winter and close to a ski area, so my skier husband can go skiing while I attend the camp. Probably Winter 2024/2025. I saw your post and someone else replied to you with another positive review, so I'm convinced even more. Of course it;s impossible to please everyone and some might not like, but I agree with someone who say above, the only way to exactly find out is to go ourselves. Hopefully we love it too :)
That’s great feedback, if all goes well I’m definitely going to go to the Czech Republic summer camp!

Thankyou so much for all your input, it’s been reassuring to hear how many people youve met have enjoyed it. I hope when you go it’s as amazing as it sounds 😁

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Thank you so much @LutzH8ter and I wish the very same to you! Hopefully it's a wonderful experience for the both of us :) The Czech camp has indeed the best price and over all best benefits (good price for accompanying person too). The coaches seem the same for all camp locations and while Austria would be my overall first pick, taking into consideration I'm not going alone and cost of accomodation for 2, I think I will also end up going to Czech, hopefully there's a skiing location not that very far from it that my husband can go enjoy while I'm busy with the camp.

To be honest, I had a good feeling when I first went through their website, watched the videos etc (yes I understand they have to do good marketing to sell), was thinking of being willing to risk going when I had that negative feedback in the other thread I started about the camps, but talking to those people at that rink, and then reading the positive review from @sk8dreamzzzz and @WittGrittnGrace(y) above here in this thread is all I needed to make me want to go. I have great skating coaching here where I train, but off ice training is lacking and a general problem over here, so I like the fact that they emphasize off ice as well in the camp.

Thank you so much @LutzH8ter and I wish the very same to you! Hopefully it's a wonderful experience for the both of us :) The Czech camp has indeed the best price and over all best benefits (good price for accompanying person too). The coaches seem the same for all camp locations and while Austria would be my overall first pick, taking into consideration I'm not going alone and cost of accomodation for 2, I think I will also end up going to Czech, hopefully there's a skiing location not that very far from it that my husband can go enjoy while I'm busy with the camp.

To be honest, I had a good feeling when I first went through their website, watched the videos etc (yes I understand they have to do good marketing to sell), was thinking of being willing to risk going when I had that negative feedback in the other thread I started about the camps, but talking to those people at that rink, and then reading the positive review from @sk8dreamzzzz and @WittGrittnGrace(y) above here in this thread is all I needed to make me want to go. I have great skating coaching here where I train, but off ice training is lacking and a general problem over here, so I like the fact that they emphasize off ice as well in the camp.
One of the best parts of going to a skating camp is picking up off ice and warm up exercises you didn’t know that you can take back home with you. Even if you have the best coaches at home, qualified coaching at a summer camp is almost always a plus.

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
The off ice definitely looks intense from the videos I’ve seen!!

I’m relieved to hear you enjoyed it so much (the only other review I could find was very negative), did you see any of the sessions of people doing doubles etc? I really appreciate you input, thanks for the reply!
Oh yes most of the others were doing at least doubles. I was in a group of 4 and I was the only one working on singles. The others in my group were all under the age of 10! The advanced group used the other half of the rink and these were serious skaters. The kids in my group were sweet. One told me that she remembers when she started and was working on singles. She told me not to worry, I will get better. It was very cute. Then she turned to her dad who used to figure skate and told him that he could sign up for the camp next time as well, just like me. Most of my camp experiences have been with kids. It helps me gain speed, trying to keep up with them and I get to try a lot more stuff than the exclusively adult ones I've been to locally.

lithelife76

Spectator
I took my daughter who was 10 last year to the one in Marianske Lazne. It was intense for her because it was her first experience with training for several hours/day. At the time she was working on her axel.

At first, she was overwhelmed, but after two weeks, she didn't want to leave. We saw the adult group, and there were several levels of all ages. The coaches were intense and their levels of English varied. Much of the learning happened like this: I show you, you do it. They also use a hands-on approach, much unlike Americans. This was something that my daughter had to adjust to. It is also no-nonsense, compared to her American training. There were no accolades for minor accomplishments in fact, no one used her name for the first week. But when they started to call her by name the second week, boy, did she feel proud.

The value is excellent compared to training in the USA (at least what we are used to) and we enjoyed the Czech Republic so much. For me as a mom, it wasn't a break, because the day is structured with many breaks that I had to be present to feed her, help her, or hang out. It isn't like USA camps where you drop your kid off at 9 and pick them up at 3. If you have specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

She wants to go back this summer. I'm trying to figure out how to fund it so we can manage.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I took my daughter who was 10 last year to the one in Marianske Lazne. It was intense for her because it was her first experience with training for several hours/day. At the time she was working on her axel.

At first, she was overwhelmed, but after two weeks, she didn't want to leave. We saw the adult group, and there were several levels of all ages. The coaches were intense and their levels of English varied. Much of the learning happened like this: I show you, you do it. They also use a hands-on approach, much unlike Americans. This was something that my daughter had to adjust to. It is also no-nonsense, compared to her American training. There were no accolades for minor accomplishments in fact, no one used her name for the first week. But when they started to call her by name the second week, boy, did she feel proud.

The value is excellent compared to training in the USA (at least what we are used to) and we enjoyed the Czech Republic so much. For me as a mom, it wasn't a break, because the day is structured with many breaks that I had to be present to feed her, help her, or hang out. It isn't like USA camps where you drop your kid off at 9 and pick them up at 3. If you have specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

She wants to go back this summer. I'm trying to figure out how to fund it so we can manage.
Very interesting review, thank you! :)

I'm not American and don't train in America so I don't know how the training is over there. I also don't understand "hands on approach", but here in Tokyo (I'm Israeli training in Japan) is also "I explain to you, show you, next you do it yourself" from my private coach, technique group session coach and trainer.
Very glad to hear it's intense training since this is just what I would expect and want from a camp that I'm traveling to attend. I'm also very interested in harness jump training since around my rink we train the jumps off ice then try them on ice, no harness at all, falling so many times in the beginning can be painful :ROFLMAO: