Anyone else desperately miss Kostner? | Golden Skate

Anyone else desperately miss Kostner?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Brian Orser felt her Olympic skate was the best when he broke down the three podium winners at Sochi and I have watched the top ladies in the world skate this season and I only see the presentation of Mao, Gracie and Ashley as having what draws me in to programs. I have not seen Polina Edmunds but last year I felt she needed to be repackaged as a senior.

Ina sport increasingly dominated by tiny teens in singles men's or ladies I really love to see the taller girls or the actual women I have mentioned above. Satoko miyahara is lovely to watch but like Julia I feel I am watching a child not a woman and the need for out of control, meaningless footwork sequences continues to turn me off.

In dance there are themes and in pairs tricks need some u is on stroking to set up the throws etc.

I like Chartrand and see her talent but these ultra busy programs that don't stop for a minute or show elongated lines just leave me cold.

The fact that Mao is still appreciated and that Kostner can won or placed when older with less triples tells me the judges long to see beautifully choreographed to the music programs. I find myself losing interest when the need for speed is still king and everyone does the very same fugly spins.

Gracie Gold says it's a jumping game and that explains where Liza is now but is she moving anyone with her programs? Does her choreographer break down in tears like the very experienced even jaded perhaps Lori did very time Caro performed her Ave Maria?

I guess I'm wondering if the fan base now has been raised on the " new " judging system and thinks that the direction singles has taken makes for beautiful skating?

A few skaters manage to perform and leave us with images moments and lines but I find them in a minority and generally older. I wonder what the demographics of the fans looks like now?

Julia was a child and I didn't care for all the contortionist moves in Schindler's List but she moved many of us with the perfect blend of music, costume and a character known to us. It was an iconic program and I wonder looking at this years offerings will these tiny technicians ever grow up to look and skate like the women that are gone? I really disliked Julia 's programs packaging and I'm rooting for her after grabbed our hearts two years ago.

I guess it is a comment and a question on who is still watching from the 6.0 days? Will we ever have a world champion like Carolina again? Gracie can do it all given confidence and the right choreography. She still has a way to go but I thought she was so much better PCS wise than the winner of the SA event. Even if her flip was doubled She skates with such strength line and maturity. No she is not yet in the league of Carolina but her build combined with her ss pcs and jumping ability make me hopeful. I don't think she will still be skating at 26 but she could grow into the artist. It seems singles for ladies is for teenagers now. There isn't enough opportunity I guess even for the very best skaters to develop to their very best performance wise.

Amidst all this technical prowess from very small teenagers I am looking for the performance to move me and given many of the choreographed routines I have watched it doesn't seem like it is even a goal anymore of the teams putting together these programs. Each discipline is special and ladies I feel has suffered in some key ways from the IJS.

I hope Ashley Mao and Gracie can bring us to feel the performance. I will never forget certain programs because the music and choreography were not sacrificed for just obviou:confused:s point getting moves that meant nothing and are even annoying.

Maybe a thread entitled most moving programs will hilight those little works of art we should pay attention to.šŸ˜• Pairs and Ice dance seem to still have time for those moments our brains can take a snapshot of and recall forever. Ladies please move us. Sometimes less is more. Sorry so long. I miss the mature beauty and the best of the show skating! Looking to be inspired.......!!!!

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Nope, I'm excited about all the skaters competing now. I have little interest in remaining stuck in the past.

hurrah

Medalist
I don't know if I desperately miss her, but I would welcome it if she came back and showed the youngsters how to skate.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Like that song "Let it Go!!! Let it Go...Carolina at times was a beautiful skater with great power and technical prowess along with great skating skills But she was far less consistent and did not have the very best skating skills of say a Lambiel or Chan. I know some may disagree but she was far more inconsistent than Chan or Javier or even Denis when not injured. I don't want to have to watch her maybe bump someone off the podium or maybe end up in the bottom of the top ten or worse. She is very accomplished and somewhat lucky to have what she has considering her extreme inconsistency and I don't think younger skaters need to see that nor the world any more. Let the new class grow. Caro had her chance.

alebi

Medalist
Even if I've loved Carolina and Mao so much, I'm honestly not interested in their comebacks. The reason is I want to see these young ladies develop, watch them growing and at the end of their career enjoy the time remembering how little they were and how beautiful and complete they have become.
The problem is... will I be able to see their development? Honestly I have to answer to my question with a miserable "no" and this is the real problem. Under the new scoring system (which I even prefer) figure skating is more a jumping contest than a "create a memorable story on the ice". And with this very low age limit we see all these teenagers doing incredible combos in the second half and clean jumps programme for one year, then lose everything due to their growth. But in the meanwhile another teenager had taken their place... a place that will last for one, two years... and then we'll see a new generation again.
It's obvious that a jumping contest is more favourable to very young ladies, who then focus all their efforts into the technical aspect or they'll soon be replaced by another one. And you have no time to improve everything else because the big scores can only be obtained with the big jumps.
I look at what's happening to Yulia, who's growing and has no time to adapt to her new body because there's too much competition, so she has to insist on big jumps while she could work on her beautiful lines and show a very personal style.

In the men field the situation is even more "tragic". Now it's not enough to have a quad and a 3axel, you need at least 2 quads if not even 3 quads if you want to arise. This effort requests a long preparation and no rooms for everything else because a programme still last 4 minutes and a half. Exceptions are very rare and are in a league of their own but they are subject to errors (they're human!). So it can happen that someone "less worthy" can win. Honestly I don't want to see men figure skating becoming a Boyang Jin's way of style. I respect his style, I respect the fact that he's focussing on his strong points. But this is something that has to suit him, and only him. This doesn't have to become the only road to win in the future.

Sorry for my long rant but a little consideration opened the doors to so many questions :hopelessness:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I guess I'm in the minority, but I do miss her, yes! I could watch her stroke along the ice all day long...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i grew to like her towards the end of the olympic season.. but I won't miss her... way too often she got me nervous because she was quite inconsistent ;) and by opposition to Mao or Patrick, i don't think her programs marked me... she was great... and I am sure she was special to watch live with her stature and speed, but on tv... we don't get that so, nope.. not going to miss her... if she comes back, I won't be unhappy ... but if she doesn't, meh.. there are SO MANY ladies in the field... I can barely keep up ;)

Rozkay22

Spectator
Country
Canada
She was sanctioned for a year I believe and is supposed to be coming back this season or so I read somewhere.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Carolina is not stopping any young girls from acquiring great skating skills, great programs, and rotating their 3x3 10+ years span.
What she's offering are those things. Young girls can either step up and keep up, or step aside and try something else. Some people are like, "let it go" "she had her chance" lol. What is that? She's not expired.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Have y'all seen her Ave Maria? It doesn't move you? Who out there can do what she does????

moriel

Record Breaker
Well, Adelina is getting there right now, and a few other ladies too.

Tbh, I don't think Gracie would ever move anyone to tears, as her interpretation tends to 0 (just watch her skating without the music and try figuring out what it is all about). She has an amazing technique though, and is a pleasure to watch when clean.

noskates

Record Breaker
Have y'all seen her Ave Maria? It doesn't move you? Who out there can do what she does????

Actually I think more than several women and a couple of men could! Both Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek skated to Ave Maria in recent memory and there are quite a few women who have the grace and smoothness....Yuka Sato comes to mind immediately. But I also didn't enjoy watching her because I was always waiting for her to mess up - and she rarely didn't! Felt the same way about Sasha Cohen (oh, she could skate to Ave Maria, too) You always wanted them to skate clean and they teased you with almost clean programs.

gammarae

Rinkside
Seems to me that we are comparing apples and oranges -- jumps vs. spins, artistry vs. whatever. I just like to watch Kostner skate. Don't care if she gets high scores or not. It warms my heart to see someone out there who loves to skate. At any level.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I love watching her and I still go back and watch her programs regularly. Rather than excitement, I would say a peaceful feeling washes over me when I see her skate. I don't get that from anyone else, not even my favorites. It's really a shame that I never got to see her live before her *presumed* retirement.